Epix & Dish in Talks

Me Three... but will have to wait until I get home to check it out.

BTW, also sent my inquire about EPIX to dish twitter team (not that I'm expecting a reply about it, but it's easier than making a phone call to someone who will give a staged answer...)

I read that Dish (might have) uplinked Epix HD on Wednesday,
but of course they could not turn it on in time for the launch tonight.

I guess I would not want EPIX HD in a basic tier of programming,
I just noticed that MGM HD is showing commercials during movies now.

I am watching the Madonna concert, got my code 30 minutes ago.

I am using the 3000k stream and it's not choppy at all.

You must have a different feed than me, cuz all I've seen is one spot during the movie for an MGM film, and it's been like that for a year. I don't care what they do between films.

Hmmm. For me anyway, MGM HD has broken away once during each movie for a commercial break. It's not a long commercial break, maybye just a minute or two. Granted, I have not watched the channel in nearly a month. So maybe it has changed?

Hmmm. For me anyway, MGM HD has broken away once during each movie for a commercial break. It's not a long commercial break, maybye just a minute or two. Granted, I have not watched the channel in nearly a month. So maybe it has changed?

No, you're right, I think sometimes people get the impression, though, that it's like Universal HD, which is edited and riddled with ads.

Anybody wouldn't happen to know till when Epix will offer the invite codes for?

I wanted to wait for as long as possible so maybe they can make more movies available than they have now at the website.

Article from CNBC, "....This morning I interviewed Epix President Mark Greenberg who says that this kind of slow start isn't uncommon for new cable channels. He also noted the rumors Epix is close to a distribution deal with Dish Network [DISH 17.40 -0.33 (-1.86%) ] which reaches more than 13 million households."

Epix Launches With Big Content But Little Distribution - Media Money with Julia Boorstin - CNBC.com

Maybe, just maybe.

I also read the article. That the president of Epix, someone who should know what negotiations are taking place, using terms like "rumors" describing the status of a distribution deal with Dish, I find interesting.

I also read the article. That the president of Epix, someone who should know what negotiations are taking place, using terms like "rumors" describing the status of a distribution deal with Dish, I find interesting.

You read the article, but did you watch the video? Greenberg never uses the term "rumor". For that matter, no one mentioned Dish either. He just says they are still in "advanced negotiations" with other providers. The "journalist" simply put her own spin on it for the written portion.

The actual interesting part of the interview wasn't mentioned in the article...Greenberg balked at the mention of the $9.99 price point, saying that is "only how FIOS has rolled it out" and that "other pricing structures will be put in place."

If it's true that FIOS is paying $1 for every basic subscriber, they are really making an interesting gamble. And EPIX is playing it pretty safe...getting payed a set amount no matter how many subscribers FIOS manages to sell to. Churn won't affect them, at least not until renegotiation time.

Epix taking the 3 studios away from Showtime is just plain stupid, we need LESS movie channels with MORE new movies, not a 5th premium channel to get 100% of movie distribution.

Epix taking the 3 studios away from Showtime is just plain stupid, we need LESS movie channels with MORE new movies, not a 5th premium channel to get 100% of movie distribution.

Epix IS the three studios. It remains to be seen whether this will be stupid or genius.

And Showtime won't have much else other than originals. Since Epix SHOULD wind up as a expanded basic channel on most systems, you could get just HBO and Starz and get almost all new movies.

I really doubt FIOS will stick with this pricing structure- right now it's MORE expensive than Showtime or Starz, even though Epix's subscriber fees are lower. The last thing you want to do with an untested service is price it higher than established services. Starz got off the ground in part because it was only about $5 when it premiered.