Status
Please reply by conversation.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Is there any other way to get discounts or better equipment pricing for new customers? I've looking into signing up for Directv but the equipment cost turns me off every time I check. To get equipment similar to what I have with Dish Network, I'll have to shell out $300 plus the cancellation fee for Dish Network.

I would actually save money in the first 2 years. An average of $32.52 per month in 24 months which is really great but the equipment cost is holding me from switching.

I want 6 receivers, 2 HD DVRs, 2 HD receivers and 2 SD receivers. I'd have to pay for 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver for a total of $298.00.

Can you get by watching the same picture in a few rooms? If you run a long hdmi from one hddvr to a HDTV that could save you some money. Call a local dealer and see if they can help you out with upfront cost. I went local and glad I did.

Dang 6 receivers man thats allot.. I did not pay anything for my hardware but I only had one HDDVR HR24 and 1 HD Receiver. Looks like the amount of the receivers is why you have high cost but with any carrier your going to have to pay more than your average customer. :)

Can you get by watching the same picture in a few rooms? If you run a long hdmi from one hddvr to a HDTV that could save you some money. Call a local dealer and see if they can help you out with upfront cost. I went local and glad I did.

Thanks, I'll try the local dealer.

RandallA said:
Thanks, I'll try the local dealer.

No problem. The HR24 is every bit as responsive as the 722 and 622 I had with Dish.

Is there any other way to get discounts or better equipment pricing for new customers? I've looking into signing up for Directv but the equipment cost turns me off every time I check. To get equipment similar to what I have with Dish Network, I'll have to shell out $300 plus the cancellation fee for Dish Network.

I would actually save money in the first 2 years. An average of $32.52 per month in 24 months which is really great but the equipment cost is holding me from switching.

I want 6 receivers, 2 HD DVRs, 2 HD receivers and 2 SD receivers. I'd have to pay for 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver for a total of $298.00.

Well, the way I look at it (and everyone is different financially)... Thru D* you pay more with the UP FRONT cost, while with others, you pay that over the life of your time with them.
A HD DVR from my local Cable company would cost me $ 18 p/m per recvr.
With D* your only paying $ 6 p/m for the total amount of recvrs you may have. (DVR Fee, might be 7 now.).
So if I pay $ 300 up front I can do that and be done with it vs paying that money EVERY month I have service.

Btw, your actually getting a pretty good deal at $ 300, if you consider the costs involved (upfront cost)
Lets say they GIVE you your 1st HD DVR, the second on should be $ 199, then the 2 HD recvrs are $ 99 each, then the 2 SD recvrs are $ 69 each
So if you add all that up with the first one and most expensive one being FREE, your at :$ 540 and they are asking $ 300.

1st HD DVR and 1st HD receiver are free. Then for the second HD DVR they're charging $199 and $99 for the other HD receiver. The SD receivers are free.

I agree that it's a good deal but wanted to hear other opinions and alternatives from others. If that's the best I can do, I may have to wait to pull the trigger. I know I will recover the $300 if I move to Directv but wanted to see what other options are out there when it comes to upfront cost for the equipment.

Dang 6 receivers man thats allot.. I did not pay anything for my hardware but I only had one HDDVR HR24 and 1 HD Receiver. Looks like the amount of the receivers is why you have high cost but with any carrier your going to have to pay more than your average customer. :)

Not nessarly, comcast and uverse are giving out all recivers for free.... (you still pay the monthly cost) I only had to pay for one of my 211's with dish, D* is the only one that you have to shell out an arm, leg and your 1st born to get what you want. Equipment cost is the only thing keeping me from D*

BING CASHBACK. 40% cash back (check or PayPal) in approximately 60 days for any initial hardware or installation costs.

HD DVR 1 $0
HD DVR 2 $99
HD $99
HD $99
SD FREE
SD FREE

$298 - 40% cashback = $178.80 for the six receivers!

I've written a couple threadsa about taking advantage of BING. Let me know if you have any questions. I just assumed everyone saw the threads by now.

Jason

RandallA. You might want to check out Claude's thread in the pub.:)

Not nessarly, comcast and uverse are giving out all recivers for free.... (you still pay the monthly cost) I only had to pay for one of my 211's with dish, D* is the only one that you have to shell out an arm, leg and your 1st born to get what you want. Equipment cost is the only thing keeping me from D*

Would you rather pay the much LARGER cost MONTHLY for the duration of your contract ?

I have a question regarding the DVRs with Directv. How many shows can you record at the same time and can you view Live TV while a recording is going? This is for both the SD and HD DVRs. My understanding is that the DVRs have two satellite inputs so I'm assuming that you can record one show and view live TV at the same time. But need to hear it from the Directv customers. :)

I have a question regarding the DVRs with Directv. How many shows can you record at the same time and can you view Live TV while a recording is going? This is for both the SD and HD DVRs. My understanding is that the DVRs have two satellite inputs so I'm assuming that you can record one show and view live TV at the same time. But need to hear it from the Directv customers. :)

You are correct.
D* recvrs have 2 tuners, allowing you to record 2 sat feeds or one sat and one OTA .
You can record one channel and watch another which is the most common situation.

You are correct.
D* recvrs have 2 tuners, allowing you to record 2 sat feeds or one sat and one OTA .
You can record one channel and watch another which is the most common situation.

Thank you. OTA is an extra piece of equipment for the HD DVR receivers, correct? Or the new HR-24 comes with OTA. I have lots of questions for this transfer. :)

Thank you. OTA is an extra piece of equipment for the HD DVR receivers, correct? Or the new HR-24 comes with OTA. I have lots of questions for this transfer. :)

The only current D* recvrs with the OTA is the HR20's, the rest need an AM21 OTA tuner, HR24 included.

Ok, one last question (I hope) :). Do you get billed for two months on your first bill with Directv just like Dish Network does?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)