Equipment Needed for 125W?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I have the DVR-1100c with the original two lnb set-up for 97/101. I also have a second dish presently not connected. I would like to get PBS stations so am considering 125W, is any additional equipment required such as audio decoder?

Haven't seen the affordable cyberhome decoders in quite a while. (taken off the market for, apparently, using technology that they didn't pay license for) For less $ than the other decoders I've seen, you should upgrade the receiver to the microHD - http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1593&ws_cat=446 -
Which you'll need anyway, because it's all DVB-S2 @ 125w The 1100 is DVB-S only.(Good enough for 97W)
Don't know what you are using to switch between satellites (LNBF's) now, but a 4x1 DisEqC would do nicely.
Put dual output LNB on 97w and run to both receivers?

Would the DVR-1100c work for dish aiming at 125W? It would be nice to know that I have reception before purchasing a new receiver. Because of tree profile I have to select a spot to set up the second dish.

unless PBS still uses 1215 H 4444 as DVB the answer would be no. All the other transponders are DVB-S2

The old SD Channel 6, now with label "KNME SD," 12171 H 4443 (my numbers might be slightly off) is the only DVD-S channel left, but with Dolby Digital Audio. It is also an extremely weak transponder these days, barely registering 58Q on my microHD (this is when Oklahoma, Montana, and the other SD and HD feed channels are pretty much at 65 - 70Q). Used very rarely for feeds, too.

I guess I had better wait and see how the MicroHD fairs with Glorystar before making any move.

The MicroHD works very well with all of the stations on 125 - highly recommend it.
?Bob

I guess I had better wait and see how the MicroHD fairs with Glorystar before making any move.
Its been available about a year.
I don't keep up on Glorystar operation, but I know firmware updates are available over satellite.
Pretty sure it's a mature product.
Could always check in the GS forum we have here.
?

I think Brian gave up on the MicroHD firmware for Glorystar and developed the HDVR1200 receiver instead, and turned that on for Glorystar mode right away. At least I've never heard anything more about Glorystar mode for the MicroHD.

Last edited:
The µHD has not been available for Glorystar customers. All that is available for home use is the new HDVR1200. Which is a far more attractive platform for the mainstream GS user IMHO

you can still use the MicroHD for Glorystar....but you dont have the "set it and forget it" option that the other GS models have

The µHD has not been available for Glorystar customers. All that is available for home use is the new HDVR1200. Which is a far more attractive platform for the mainstream GS user IMHO
Can the 1200 be used for 125W or is it GS only?

Yes it can. In fact there is beta firmware for this receiver to make it more of an FTA rig than GS if you want.

You could always make a channel map with the ali editor and use a microHd for Glorystar and include the 125 channels you want. :)
?

I use my microHD for Glorystar, however, since it does not auto update, the GOD TV shut off caught me completely off guard... Other than that, I have had no problems. I do not use a motor, and I have no problem with polarity on a 250 foot run.

Oh, almost forgot-- I am not using it for the daily recording -- because my RV batteries went dead too often. Now that I have new batteries, I should try it again!! :)

2nd edit -- I have used it for PBS on 125W(?) and it worked OK, but RVmom is not wanting to watch sewing programs right now ... so she has not changed to those channels for 8 months or so.

Last edited:
The AMC-21 footprint recommends a 130cm dish, would my 90cm dish be worth an effort, my location is western NC?

In North Georgia, most of the signals are also quite good here on my 90cm dish. However, there may be one or two occasional feed transponders that are weak.

Status
Please reply by conversation.