Equipment upgrade suggestion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jlwalter55

Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
I am currently eligible for an equipment upgrade. I have a Genie HR34 in my main living room and a genie client in the bedroom. I just purchased a new TV for the basement.

I was told I could get a new HD DVR, reg HD or mini for free except for the monthly charge to put on my new basement TV. Since whatever I get put me in another 24 month contract and thus no upgrade during that time what would be my best option?

IMHO, HD DVR. It has its own 2 tuners independent of the genie, it expands on your capacity and you can still watch recordings from either receiver in any room.

Agreed. I have an HR34 in the living room, an HR24 in the bedroom, a Genie in the kitchen. I can record 7 things at the same time. That sounds like a lot.. and it is, but believe it or not we've used that kind of capacity. Mostly if we go out for an evening or take the dogs and go away for a couple days. It also means I can record FIVE things (4 on the HR34 and 1 on the HR24) and STILL be able to watch live TV in the living room and bedroom. Recording 4 things at once, I can still watch live TV on all 3 TVs.

I'd definitely get another HD-DVR.

Yes, DirecTV will be happy to give you a new box and lock you into another 2 year commitment.

If you don't need another box and want a HR44 Genie upgrade, your best bet is to have a service call if you ever have a problem with your HR34. There is no HR34->HR44 upgrade option except replacement on a defect or failure and a service call is by far the best chance of getting the HR44 instead of a refurb HR34. No guarantee, the tech may only have HR34 too, but luck of the draw.

I'm Kind of in the same boat and had the same question. I'm not due for a free upgrade until the end of March though. I have a Genie HR-44 and 3 HD-DVR's (an HR-20 and 2 HR22's). Would like to get wireless Genie mini's to replace a couple of the old DVR's, but would like to maintain additional storage capacity. If I replaced one of the old ones with another HD-DVR, would that be a regular HD-DVR or would it be another Genie? Is it possible to have 2 Genies?

I'm Kind of in the same boat and had the same question. I'm not due for a free upgrade until the end of March though. I have a Genie HR-44 and 3 HD-DVR's (an HR-20 and 2 HR22's). Would like to get wireless Genie mini's to replace a couple of the old DVR's, but would like to maintain additional storage capacity. If I replaced one of the old ones with another HD-DVR, would that be a regular HD-DVR or would it be another Genie? Is it possible to have 2 Genies?
Only one genie per account. The current HD DVR (HR24) is considered a comparable unit to your HR20 and HR22 so you would be in the same boat as the guys trying to get an HR44 replacement for their 34.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)