Equipment upgrade without technician?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mastin

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2021
Is a Dish equipment upgrade without a technician entering the house possible? We have a family member that is Covid vulnerable. I just called Dish and the representative not only said it wasn’t possible but would charge $95 for the technician visit. That’s in addition to a $100 charge for a receiver upgrade even though it has been several years since our last equipment upgrade. Any thoughts?

Looks like I can upgrade/exchange a Joey for a fee without a technician.
But they are standing firm on requiring technician for a receiver upgrade.
We have a "HPRSLNG" so I guess that's Hopper with Sling and a Joey 1.0.
My wife complains the Joey 1.0 is slow to respond.
Would we see much improvement with just a Joey upgrade?
We have a coax connection to the receiver for the Joey 1.0, so which Joey is best?

I apologize, my primary inquiry was regarding upgrading equipment without a technician entering the house and I could not find that this topic had been covered.

Don't feel bad...someone asked a similar question a few weeks ago that turned into a long discussion, but it wasn't really named such that it would have jumped out as a match to your situation. Welcome to SatGuys! :)

Don't feel bad...someone asked a similar question a few weeks ago that turned into a long discussion, but it wasn't really named such that it would have jumped out as a match to your situation. Welcome to SatGuys! :)
Thank you kindly, can you link that discussion?
Also, is there a page/sticky to get up to speed. For example, I am not familiar with the abbreviation HWS.
Also, thank you for the welcome.

Reactions: DWS44
Sooo...

Currently I have Hopper w/Sling and Joey 1.0

I read a comment that Joey 4k is not a first choice as Dish 4k is not outstanding and I’m better off using my Roku Ultimate for 4k.

a) I risk having a technician in the house.

Result: Hopper 3 and a Joey 3.

b) I avoid a technician.

Result Hopper w/Sling, add a Snap, and a Joey 3.0.

It seems if I choose option “b” I’d be in pretty good shape.

Anything anyone can add?

swing...miss
swing...miss
swing...miss
i guess that would be three strikes, but I called back
the first was a call
the second two were chats
the fourth was a call and finally someone at Dish explained that I could purchase a Joey 3.1 locally/internet to replace my Joey 1.0 and that would avoid a technician visiting.

Thank you kindly, can you link that discussion?
Also, is there a page/sticky to get up to speed. For example, I am not familiar with the abbreviation HWS.
Also, thank you for the welcome.

Update:
Called two local resellers that Dish gave me for here in Conway AR.
Both local resellers said Dish was the worst place to get information about Dish!
First reseller suggested they only installed Joey 3.0 and were not aware of Joey 3.1 and that in any case these were only compatible with Hopper 3 and NOT other Hoppers, but would happily sell me one for $100.
Second reseller suggested that I needed to talk to their technician and that a Joey upgrade would require an upgrade to a Hopper 3.
The Tech called and finally it sounds like words of wisdom, a Joey 3 will work fine and they will sell me a new one for $70 and if I didn't want to pick it up add shipping to be in the mail (UPS) today.
I also ordered a Snap from ebay to arrive in a few days.
Whew.
I will report back.

Ha, ha, in any case I very much appreciate your reply and link.
Thank you, David

For example, I am not familiar with the abbreviation HWS.

HWS = Hopper with Sling, i.e. the second generation Hopper. You'll also see the original first-gen Hopper sometimes called an H1, and the newest Hopper 3 called an H3

The Tech called and finally it sounds like words of wisdom, a Joey 3 will work fine and they will sell me a new one for $70 and if I didn't want to pick it up add shipping to be in the mail (UPS) today.

After a round-about trip, sounds like you are on the right track! :)

Reactions: NYDutch
I believe a Joey 3 is your best bet. Also, if your HwS doesn't have a Snap, get one! That too speeds up menu rendering.
Dish won't create a Work Order for a Joey 3 with a Hopper Sling. He'd have to buy (Edit - Looks like you did) and mastin , Dish techs DO have Masks and gloves. We worked through the entire pandemic with the proper PPE

Update:
Called two local resellers that Dish gave me for here in Conway AR.
Both local resellers said Dish was the worst place to get information about Dish!
First reseller suggested they only installed Joey 3.0 and were not aware of Joey 3.1 and that in any case these were only compatible with Hopper 3 and NOT other Hoppers, but would happily sell me one for $100.
Second reseller suggested that I needed to talk to their technician and that a Joey upgrade would require an upgrade to a Hopper 3.
Whew.
I will report back.
There is no Joey 3.1....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts