Equipment upgrade

Probably be released right after the USB keyboard for the 721.
The webtv/dishplayer( models 7100/7200) was my first exposure to the internet. I sure liked my wireless keyboard we had with the original webtv/dishplayer. We would sit in bed and surf the net and or watch tv too. It was a great receiver back in 1999 before the Microsoft/DISH war broke out. I didn't buy a computer till 2001. I held off buying one because I thought the internet was a passing fad and I wasn't going to pay money for one since it was so new. Boy was I wrong.

Boy was I wrong.
You and Bill Gates.

...in his 1995 book "The Road Ahead," Gates would make one of his most well-known blunders: He wrote that the internet was a novelty that would eventually make way to something much better. "Today's Internet is not the information highway I imagine, although you can think of it as the beginning of the highway," Gates wrote.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You and Bill Gates.

...in his 1995 book "The Road Ahead," Gates would make one of his most well-known blunders: He wrote that the internet was a novelty that would eventually make way to something much better. "Today's Internet is not the information highway I imagine, although you can think of it as the beginning of the highway," Gates wrote.

Wasn't it he who also said that you would never need more than 256k to run your computer?

Wasn't it he who also said that you would never need more than 256k to run your computer?
Yes, although I thought it was even a smaller amount. No, I'm wrong and you were closer. The amount was 640K. I have no idea how he came up with such an odd number.

Edited to correct for 10kB error. :D

Last edited:
Yes, although it is a simple matter of interpretation. From his perspective, 256k meant $256,000 per year. :biggrin

He later said he never said any such thing. Nobody has a recording of it.
Except maybe Richard Nixon. That was what was in those missing 18 minutes from the tapes! :eeek:biggrin

I’ve alerted the relevant authorities. You better pray there’s a statute of limitations. :devilish
:oldlaugh
Now I had exposure to computers in State of Texas Lamar University classes back in 86- 90, but it was only one class and it took so much to get the computer to just turn on that I hated using it. I mean you had to punch in all this crap and then put in a floppy disk just to boot it up so you could use it. I By the mid 90s I used the state of Texas computers at the prison I worked at for Visitation duties on the weekends, but it was a locked in program and I was okay at that. Just had to enter user and password by that time. The state was still using that type of computer when I left in 2011. So that shows you how much Texas valued the old technology. ;)

But my first exposure to the internet at my home was the Web tv/ Dishplayer receiver. I've had several computers since then and the computer I use at home is from 2016 and its on Windows 10 and doesn't have what you need to upgrade to Windows 11. In my son's room there is a $1000.00 dollar gaming computer he had to have back when he was 16 that is sitting in his room not being used while at the Marines. When he comes home on leave he never uses it and prefers his laptop now. He says he can't remember his password to get into it and doesn't want to try to reset it either. What a waste of money . But that is the difference in his priorities between 16 and 22 which he will turn on 7/11.

Don't waste your money on a 4K Joey. You cannot get any 4K channels (540 channels) on it, no matter what Dish says. It seems that all 4K channels are 4K HDR these days and the 4K Joey simply does not work with 4K HDR even if your tv is 4K HD. I've jumped through all of those hoops already.
I agree with this 100%. Do not get a 4K Joey.

I will never understand nor have I ever got a good answer why it can not do the DISH live HDR channels... when it can display HDR from the Amazon Prime app. If the Amazon Prime app can do HDR there is no reason in the world to me what it can't do the linear 4K HD channels from DISH.

"OOO OOOO" There is a 4K USFL football game at 8:30pm Sunday on 540-01 !!! Quick, buy your 4K stuff now!!! (yup, sarcasm included). Happy Fathers Day.

mph in ca

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts