Error 771

Krazymusikchik

Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
United states
I’m hoping someone can help as my directv satellite dish fell over during heavy winds last week and I’ve been trying to re align it ever since with no luck.

I’m only able to receive signal on the 101 satellite from transponders 20-32. Signal is in the 90’s but nothing on the low transponders or from 99 or the 103 satellites. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong as I’ve literally spent over 10 hours trying to get this fixed with no luck.

HELP!!!

I’m hoping someone can help as my directv satellite dish fell over during heavy winds last week and I’ve been trying to re align it ever since with no luck.

I’m only able to receive signal on the 101 satellite from transponders 20-32. Signal is in the 90’s but nothing on the low transponders or from 99 or the 103 satellites. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong as I’ve literally spent over 10 hours trying to get this fixed with no luck.

HELP!!!
:welcome to Satelliteguys Krazymusikchik!
First, make sure the mast is plumb. This is very important. Second, you are probably pointing at the wrong satellite. Try swinging the dish slowly a few degrees in each direction. Also, make sure all of the bolts are tight.

If you are only picking up 20-32 (I'll bet it is actually 22-32) you are pointing at 119, not 101.
Yes you are correctly only 22-32. According to the app I’m using though I’m aligned to the 101 satellite? Obv I’m not. I’ve tried rotating the dish but haven’t secured the other transponders or any other satellite yet. Will try again tomorrow, but I’m losing hope by the day.

You've hit the most common issue when aligning the dish. You think you are on 101 but actually you are on 119.And don't worry about the othewr satellites until you have the 101 aligned with signals close to 100. Then use "dithering" to get the exact center of the 101 beams.

call directv, let them come fix it. you may be suprised

i got charges the $99 fee, but then got $50 a month off for 2 years when i called in for a bent dish (it was my fault)

There are videos on youtube showing you how to do this.You can't just wave the dish in the general direction of the satellityes and expect it to work.

Reactions: Jimbo
There are videos on youtube showing you how to do this.You can't just wave the dish in the general direction of the satellityes and expect it to work.
I’ve been re aligning my own direct tv dish now for about 7 years. I had to switch from SD to HD about a year ago and set up this exact same dish with no problem so I’m not sure why I’m having so much trouble right now. I have watched at least 15 videos on YouTube and prefer JimLitz’s video but I’m not having any success. Thanks for your time

Are you sure the mast is plumb? Look for witness marks on the mast that the bracket made. If they are there it will help to get the dish close to where it needs to be.

My level shows it’s plumb. I’m starting to wonder if it’s something to do with the dish itself from it falling over in the wind.
That's certainly possible. It doesn't take much to bend a dish. It won't even show.

That's certainly possible. It doesn't take much to bend a dish. It won't even show.
Actually, it does take a bit to bend a dish with the ring around the edge to support it.

That being said, if it is bent, that would explain your issues.
You may not be able to see it if it is bent.

If you push on the top or bottom and it helps, your skew is off. If you push on the sides and that helps, it's your azimuth. It could be a bit of both.

Ok I started over and am now getting above 95 on 101 and in the 80’s on 103 but all 99’s are at 0. I’ve tried the dithering on both sides and nothing changes on the 99 satellites at all. Still getting the error 771 message even with good signal on the 101 and 103

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts