Espn-HD: MLB Baseball : New York Yankees at Los Angeles Dodgers 8pm EST

Won the battle but yet it remains to be seen who wins the war.... Dodgers wins!

P.S. we should send the play umpire back to school so that can learn to call strikes again :)

Sean Mota said:
It's not over 'till is over... the 27th out needs to be recorded to count V... I'll take Contreras over Lima anytime... ;)
It's over!!

Uhhhhhhhhhh Dodgers Win!! Uhhhhhhhhhhh Dodgers Win!!

Goodnite Godzilla-Caught Cha' lookin'(Gotta swing when it's THAT close Mats)

2 out of 3 'taint bad-bring on the S.F. Midgets-LOL

(Still rather have Lima, and Gagne btw)

eschu97611 said:
Btw, thought HD feed looked o.k.-a little washed out but compared well to D* feed.

I enjoyed this one as well. My local WB does a better job in doing Mets games in HD than ESPN. Baseball in HD rules...

HeavyC said:
If LA had a fanbase like New York that actually came out and supported the team they could throw that kind of money around too. Boo Hoo, the Yankees spend so much money. Cry me a freaking river. They make more money then just about any other team in baseball. I can't believe fans of a team in LA (not exactly small market) are complaining about the Yankees. Get real.

HAHA, HEAVY! Geez, if we only had a fanbase!

The matchup of division leaders set a franchise weekend attendance record of 165,240. The rubber game drew 55,157, third-largest in Dodger Stadium history. Friday night's game attracted the largest crowd in stadium history -- 55,207.

The Yankees are bad for baseball...yeah right...

The matchup of division leaders set a franchise weekend attendance record of 165,240. The rubber game drew 55,157, third-largest in Dodger Stadium history. Friday night's game attracted the largest crowd in stadium history -- 55,207.
But the Yankees are bad for baseball. Funny, this seems to happen whenever the Yanks go on the road. They can't be too bad for baseball since they put butts in the seats.

btw, that pitch was outside to Matsui. Close or not, it was NOT a strike and that's not a pitch ANYONE should get for the last out of the game. It's an example of an umpire (potentially) changing the outcome of a game. Not a good thing.

However, let's face it, umpiring is not an easy job and the Yanks should have done better at some other point in the game so I can't really say that's the pitch which cost them the game. Matsui can't make an error like he did to give up another run. The Yanks have to score a few more runs earlier.

I just wanted to have the Yanks be the one who stopped Gagne's streak. Would have been great...

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
But the Yankees are bad for baseball. Funny, this seems to happen whenever the Yanks go on the road. They can't be too bad for baseball since they put butts in the seats.

btw, that pitch was outside to Matsui. Close or not, it was NOT a strike and that's not a pitch ANYONE should get for the last out of the game. It's an example of an umpire (potentially) changing the outcome of a game. Not a good thing.

However, let's face it, umpiring is not an easy job and the Yanks should have done better at some other point in the game so I can't really say that's the pitch which cost them the game. Matsui can't make an error like he did to give up another run. The Yanks have to score a few more runs earlier.

I just wanted to have the Yanks be the one who stopped Gagne's streak. Would have been great...

The Rickster

Who said the Yanks are bad for baseball? Quite the contrary.It was nice to beat the best.

Several other pitches that the ump called balls were strikes. It worked both ways. That pitch to ARod looked like a strike, 98 and miles an hour! Gagne can and will beat the best. That's why he holds the record, by what 20 saves now? Best closer in history.

Seawaves said:
Best closer in history.

Rivera ERA in playoff games (when it matters) 0.75 30 Saves out of 32 opportunities.

Gagne ERA in playoff (when it matters) not determined 0 saves out of 0 opportunities.

First get to the playoff and let him do the same (what rivera has done) or better. Only and Only then that statement can be verified. Rivera has MVP award in the WS and playoff series and 4 WS rings.

Sean Mota said:
Rivera ERA in playoff games (when it matters) 0.75 30 Saves out of 32 opportunities.

Gagne ERA in playoff (when it matters) not determined 0 saves out of 0 opportunities.

First get to the playoff and let him do the same (what rivera has done) or better. Only and Only then that statement can be verified. Rivera has MVP award in the WS and playoff series and 4 WS rings.

When have the Dodgers had an offense since Gagne became a reliever? Only this year.

Bats got Rivera to the playoffs and nothing I said was a slam against him. I didn't see him stop the Marlins. ERA is the World Series is far less important than winning. Maybe you forgot his team lost last year.

Say what you will- but 83 saves in a row is sick. He didn't fool Jason on that one pitch but he made some of the best batters in the games look bad.

If you are a closer (in the games when your team is leading) it always matters!

Seawaves said:
When have the Dodgers had an offense since Gagne became a reliever? Only this year.

Bats got Rivera to the playoffs and nothing I said was a slam against him. I didn't see him stop the Marlins. ERA is the World Series is far less important than winning. Maybe you forgot his team lost last year.

Say what you will- but 83 saves in a row is sick. He didn't fool Jason on that one pitch but he made some of the best batters in the games look bad.

If you are a closer (in the games when your team is leading) it always matters!

Bats??? You have to be kidding! 1996, 1998, 1999, & 2000. Go back to those championship teams and let me know if you find Giambi, Rodriguez, Gary or any sluggers. ERA 0.75 is playoff lifetime. That includes 1st round, divisional series, championship and worldseries. That ERA is impecable. Last year, the Yankees did not lose because of Rivera. They lost because there was no setup of middle relief to take the ball to him. Just look what he did against Boston in the American League Championship Game 7. He went three scoreless inning and it gave his team the chance to go to the WS. 83 consecutive saves are impressive, sure. But before you denote Gagne as the "best reliever in history", have him do the same when it counts -- playoff time. That's all. Regular season is a past time until October. October is the big dance. It is what Baseball is all about. Whichever team does not make it to October, it is not worth mention.

Sean Mota said:
Bats??? You have to be kidding! 1996, 1998, 1999, & 2000. Go back to those championship teams and let me know if you find Giambi, Rodriguez, Gary or any sluggers. ERA 0.75 is playoff lifetime. That includes 1st round, divisional series, championship and worldseries. That ERA is impecable. Last year, the Yankees did not lose because of Rivera. They lost because there was no setup of middle relief to take the ball to him. Just look what he did against Boston in the American League Championship Game 7. He went three scoreless inning and it gave his team the chance to go to the WS. 83 consecutive saves are impressive, sure. But before you denote Gagne as the "best reliever in history", have him do the same when it counts -- playoff time. That's all. Regular season is a past time until October. October is the big dance. It is what Baseball is all about. Whichever team does not make it to October, it is not worth mention.

Then let's forget what Gerhig did in the regular season (year after until Cal broke his amazing record) or let's just take away all Ruth's regular season home runs. Gagne has set a record that will never be broken. Torre can appreciate him even if you can't, Sean. Baseball IS a game of stats-not just October stats.

All records deserve their place in history. But every team plays 162 regular games with one goal ---> October Dance. Whomever makes it to October knows that they have a chance to win the WS. This is where you can throw all regular season records out of the window. This is where pressure will either break you and you will have an early exit or you will put up with it and show the talent and what an all star is all about. Hope one day Gagne gets a chance to go to the WS and have 83 consecutive saves.

I am not denying what he accomplished is not terrific but he needs to do the same in the playoffs. Just one example, there has been a lot of Perfect Games thrown by a lot of pitchers during regular season but one that will be on top of any Perfect Game will be Dan Larson WorldSeries Perfect Game. That one tops all the regular season perfect games.

Sean Mota said:
All records deserve their place in history. But every team plays 162 regular games with one goal ---> October Dance. Whomever makes it to October knows that they have a chance to win the WS. This is where you can throw all regular season records out of the window. This is where pressure will either break you and you will have an early exit or you will put up with it and show the talent and what an all star is all about. Hope one day Gagne gets a chance to go to the WS and have 83 consecutive saves.

I am not denying what he accomplished is not terrific but he needs to do the same in the playoffs. Just one example, there has been a lot of Perfect Games thrown by a lot of pitchers during regular season but one that will be on top of any Perfect Game will be Dan Larson WorldSeries Perfect Game. That one tops all the regular season perfect games.

Sean,

Nothing I've written is to take away from Rivera. I'm a homer just like you and I like my guy. But as a rabid fan, I don't care about stats in the World Series. Every time my Dodgers have won (and yes, I know what a drought it's been) some lesser known guy has stepped up and lead them to victory. Steve Yeager? Co-World Series MVP and a nobody.

Who really remembers Gene Tennace? I care about the W-L and the rings.

Quit being so pissy 'cause we won a single series. It's been so bleak since Fox bought the team- this is the first weekend in a long time. we've had something to cheer about. "The Little Engine That Could" beat the Dreaded Bronx Bombers...

I look at regular season in any sport as past time. NBA, NFL, NHL or BB is more fun when the playoff start. Who couldn't remember Kirk Gibson hitting that home run against the mighty Dennis E...(A's). Who can't remember the Young Pitcher (from LA) (I don't remember him his name) striking out Reggie Jackson with the bases loaded with the game on the line. Who can't remember Bob Lemon taking out the Bionic Man (Tommy John) of the game and giving LA the Victory and WS. Who can't remember the 3 Home Runs that Reggie Jackson hit against LA in one game. Who can't remember Bobby Jones (Mets) throwing a one hitter against the mighty SF Giants in the playoffs? Who can't remember Michale Jordan ever having a bad game in the playoffs?

If regular season games mean a lot more to you than playoff games, this is the last I write about the subject. But I would think 95% (not from any real study done) of sports fans will concentrate more on playoff games than regular season games. As I said before, I couldn't careless if you hit 100 home runs in the regular season, but I will always remember if you went 0-30 in the playoffs. I coudn't careless if you had .230 average in the regular season but if you hit .450 in the playoffs, I will remember you.

Playoff time is the pressure time for any sport. I do not think that can be argued. Records in playoff games is what's all about. That's were either players can shine or be just a regular player. This is my last post on the subject. Let me just say that I am not a Yankee Fan. I happen to love Baseball out of all sports because I used to play baseball in HS and College. Just because I happen to live in NY does not mean I am a Yankee or Mets Fan. I watch both because that's what the most games I get in my area. I love the game and recognize all its records but there's something to be said about records in the WS or Playoff games in BB. I could easily sit down and watch the Pirates vs Tampa Bay and analyze the game the same. Just because I love baseball. Gagne has 83 consecutive saves which it is a record in itself but this alone does not make him the greates reliever in history which was your premise when you started this whole discussion.

THe last MLB espn game wasn't in HD man it was SD with 'HD" logo bars next to the image, has this changed????

neo0285 said:
Yankees are the greatest team in baseball history!!!!!
No argument here-Numbers don't lie but.........................

Dodgers are arguably the 2nd "greatest" imo(dating back to the B-lyn days of course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)