ESPN News HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think ESPN's problem has more to do with them than the mpeg2 or 4 thingy. They were worse than the other channels when they were all mpeg2. For the life of me I can't figure out why, one would think they would be the best!

I watched ESPN this morning for the first time since switching from Dish and the PQ was awful. On Dish it was crystal clear so I was surprised at the difference.

The odd thing is that I have seen good MPEG2 HD on DirecTV; so I really think that ESPN is contributing in some small way to the issue; be it at the camera, truck/production or engineering level as it relates to what they send.

If I were a cynic, I could suggest that the inferior quality is due to the 720p source. But that would just be stirring things up for the sake of it.

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent, but..

Ever since I came on this forum people have been complaining (and rightfully so) about ESPNHD PQ and have debated about whether it is ESPN's fault or if it is D*'s fault.. Isn't there somewhere or someone we could talk to or at least reach out to about this problem? Can't we somehow establish who is really at fault in this case? We can either just keep stipulating who is at fault, or we can try and find out and inquire (or complain) to the appropriate party.

Does this sound that far out of left field? I may have a reputation on this board for having a weird sense of self-entitlement, but this is something that we all can benefit from, and a conversion to MPEG-4 is not necessarily the answer. Of course, if that is the answer in the sense that these problems will be fixed in the 2-4 conversion, then great. The problem is we don't KNOW that, and we're not going to know ANYTHING until we get some more answers.

As they used to say on the attract screens of Mortal Kombat 3, "There is no knowledge that is not power." If we can, let us find out the source of this problem and talk to those that need to be talked to.

....Just an idea..

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent, but..

Ever since I came on this forum people have been complaining (and rightfully so) about ESPNHD PQ and have debated about whether it is ESPN's fault or if it is D*'s fault.. Isn't there somewhere or someone we could talk to or at least reach out to about this problem? Can't we somehow establish who is really at fault in this case? We can either just keep stipulating who is at fault, or we can try and find out and inquire (or complain) to the appropriate party.

Does this sound that far out of left field? I may have a reputation on this board for having a weird sense of self-entitlement, but this is something that we all can benefit from, and a conversion to MPEG-4 is not necessarily the answer. Of course, if that is the answer in the sense that these problems will be fixed in the 2-4 conversion, then great. The problem is we don't KNOW that, and we're not going to know ANYTHING until we get some more answers.

As they used to say on the attract screens of Mortal Kombat 3, "There is no knowledge that is not power." If we can, let us find out the source of this problem and talk to those that need to be talked to.

....Just an idea..

My guess is that ESPN hd will be mpeg4 soon, when D11 is up and running. We should know then if that is the difference. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Regarding 720p I dont think that has anything to do with it since ABC and some of the FSN channels also air 720p and those channels are MPEG 4 and the pq is night and day comparing to ESPN and ESPN 2

Looks like when it does go live it will be simulcast on ESPN HD. But no idea if D* will light it up the first day it is on, don't we usually have stuff turned on on Tuesdays?

Looks like when it does go live it will be simulcast on ESPN HD. But no idea if D* will light it up the first day it is on, don't we usually have stuff turned on on Tuesdays?

Wednesdays are the normal day. From posts here and the other site, it would appear that Wednesday will be the day we see ESPNEWS HD and the other Disney owned HD channels appear.

Yesterday on ESPNews it was saying ESPNewsHD Sunday 8 am et Live. I hope we will see it on Sunday on Directv

We will see it, just maybe on ESPN and not on it's normal channel! Next question, since they seem to be only lighting up new HD in Mpeg4 will ESPN NEws HD in fact be Mpeg4? This will give us a better comparison with ESPN etc...being in MPeg2

If its ESPNHD we are going to see it in MPEG 2 which will suck but I guess we will see the MPEG 4 version in couple of days

ESPNews HD Launches Today
But is anyone carrying it?
By
Swanni

Washington, D.C. (March 30, 2008) -- ESPNews HD launched today at 8 a.m. ET and will be simulcast at various times today on ESPN and ESPN 2 HD.

DIRECTV, Comcast and Time Warner have all said they will carry the new high-def channel, but it appears they have not added it at launch.

DIRECTV spokesman Robert Mercer on Friday reiterated past company statements, saying it would be added in "early 2008." He would not elaborate on the actual launch day. (ESPNews HD was not available on DIRECTV on Sunday morning.)

Both DIRECTV and Comcast subscribers today could see the high-def version of ESPNews during the simulcasts on ESPN HD and ESPN HD 2.

ESPNews HD has launched with a new look, including an
“HD Sideline” graphic that wraps around the top, left and bottom of the screen for HD viewers. The wrap can not be seen in the SD version.

The network said the sideline graphic will provide additional real-time information, such as news, scores, stats, headshots and league standings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see FiOS mentioned. I wonder if FiOS will be carrying it at all anytime soon? Today perhaps? Hasn't happened yet...

Perhaps on Wednesday, when Direct usually adds channels, is when we will see it? I have seen Direct do some Monday surprises before...

Last edited:
The reporter on ESPN just mentioned about ESPNewsHD (9:30 am) making it's debut.. She said you could catch it at 11:30 am on ESPN2

Jimbo

ESPNEWS HD IS currently on ESPN2 at the moment looking great with a new look too :)

I believe this is a preview only and may only be on till noon.

Jimbo

I'm not sure if I like it, at least right now as they are doing the CNN thing, they make it widescreen and then take up the extra area and put up MORE ticker garbage.
Now I understand that , THAT IS what espnews is all about and I can get use to it seeing that scores is what it's there for.
I just hope the normal ESPN's NEVER do this.
It's bad enough that if your trying to watch something on the duce you have to have the ticker rolling continuosly , I wish they would only do the top and bottom of the hour, or do like the radio does and do the :00, :20 and :40 minute mark.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts