ESPNU moving to Choice 7/1 & HD coming, ESPN Classic moving to sports pack.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ESPNU: Will add a package of at least 13 SEC games per season, most of which will be in prime time.

I like the move! Hate the wait! .....But what in the hell is going to be in the sportspack??? I mean NBA is heading out and now ESPNU. The Pak already lost CBS College HD also!! I guess I fel sorry for the soccer fans in these threads but happy I don't have to pay for ESPNU!! SD is better than nothing for SEC football this fall!

I never watch ESPN classic so the move doesn't me and besides I get the premier package. ESPNU and NBA TV eventually dropping down a package could make me drop the sports pack, but my oldest daughter loves the TVG channel since she is a big horse lover. So I probably won't

I never watch ESPN classic so the move doesn't me and besides I get the premier package. ESPNU and NBA TV eventually dropping down a package could make me drop the sports pack, but my oldest daughter loves the TVG channel since she is a big horse lover. So I probably won't

TVG is in the choice + package not in sports pack.... i don't have sports pack and i catch TVG in the clear....so drop the sports pack AND SAVE 12$...I did 2 months ago..

TVG is in the choice + package not in sports pack.... i don't have sports pack and i catch TVG in the clear....so drop the sports pack AND SAVE 12$...I did 2 months ago..

Interesting. Everywhere I look on D*'s website lists TVG as being in the sports pack. But then again so is CBS College sports. Once ESPNU moves out of the sports pack I'll make the switch.

Dumb Question....

Whats DTV 12

D12 (officially known as Directv 12) is the next satellite going up for D*. Launch is expected in September of this year with go live occurring most likely in January 2010. Just for confusion purposes D*'s current SD non DVR receiver is also called D12.

ESPNU: Will add a package of at least 13 SEC games per season, most of which will be in prime time.
That is the only reason I can think of, and a good one at that.

I currently have the sports package, but I may drop it after this

Given I am a huge SEC and more specifically a Georgia fan this will be nice but hopefully HD goes live before First Quarter 2010. As for the Swap I am ok with that. I have the Priemere pack now because when you keep one of the packages(Sports, Starz etc) it only makes sense to have them all. Now maybe it is time to go to Choice Extra and save some money.

i have sports pak, mainly for the rsn's. but if speed and versus moved out, i would consider dropping.

what package do you have now? i get speed and versus in my choice extra package without the sports pack.

That's great and all if you're a college sports fan. I, unfortunately, do not give two sh*ts about college sports. Also, as was mentioned in another post, Classic is sometimes used to air ESPN sports coverage that runs long. And knowing that whatever game I'm watching needs to start/end by a certain time is rather disconcerting to me. That's like going out to see a movie and then in the final 20 minutes, the movie stops and they force you to pay extra to see how it ends.

My point is why did we have to lose (or swap out) one for the other? They did this with NBA Network and time has not made the move any less retarded. I think that the Sports Pack should just be made up of RSN's and niche sporting networks like Mountain and Outdoor. No networks with ESPN or "National" in the name should be put on the Sports Pack.

And while I'm complaining (and going more off topic,) GREAT move NHL by putting your network only on NHL Center Ice. I could see the NBA doing something like this with LP, but you're the NHL. Last I checked, you were trying to get MORE people to watch. That should be on the lowest tier so that you can get the most exposure. Don't act like you're in high demand when you're really not.

That's great and all if you're a college sports fan. I, unfortunately, do not give two sh*ts about college sports. Also, as was mentioned in another post, Classic is sometimes used to air ESPN sports coverage that runs long. And knowing that whatever game I'm watching needs to start/end by a certain time is rather disconcerting to me. That's like going out to see a movie and then in the final 20 minutes, the movie stops and they force you to pay extra to see how it ends.

My point is why did we have to lose (or swap out) one for the other? They did this with NBA Network and time has not made the move any less retarded. I think that the Sports Pack should just be made up of RSN's and niche sporting networks like Mountain and Outdoor. No networks with ESPN or "National" in the name should be put on the Sports Pack.

And while I'm complaining (and going more off topic,) GREAT move NHL by putting your network only on NHL Center Ice. I could see the NBA doing something like this with LP, but you're the NHL. Last I checked, you were trying to get MORE people to watch. That should be on the lowest tier so that you can get the most exposure. Don't act like you're in high demand when you're really not.

From what I have found ESPN is allowing companys to be able to swap ESPNU and ESPN Classic with no cost... If they were to just add ESPNU and keep ESPN Classic in the package it would end up costing them more - you got to keep some programing also to make the additional cost of the sports package worth it. I know at the moment classic is used as a option for programs running long but I can almost guarantee that this will change with the ammount of companys that will be adding ESPNU - plus someone else pointed out I would rather it change with Classic being SD - nothing worse than watching a 2 hour game in HD to watch the last 20 in SD... :eek:

NHL Network is in the Choice Xtra package, is it not?

From what I have found ESPN is allowing companys to be able to swap ESPNU and ESPN Classic with no cost... If they were to just add ESPNU and keep ESPN Classic in the package it would end up costing them more - you got to keep some programing also to make the additional cost of the sports package worth it. I know at the moment classic is used as a option for programs running long but I can almost guarantee that this will change with the ammount of companys that will be adding ESPNU - plus someone else pointed out I would rather it change with Classic being SD - nothing worse than watching a 2 hour game in HD to watch the last 20 in SD... :eek:
Something tells me they're not "smart" enough to know to do that, so something tells me that I'll be losing some coverage. I'd rather have 20 minutes in SD than 20 minutes in "Channel Not Purchased"

NHL Network is in the Choice Xtra package, is it not?
It's on Choice Xtra, but looking into that just enhances my point. I get the NFL and MLB channels on my standard Choice package but not NHL? It just boggles me that the NHL would not offer a very low price in order to get their station out there for everyone.

This is great news! Can't wait for the channel to move so I don't have to pony up the extra money for the sports pak (though I still might get it for college football and hoops season). Wish adding HD to the channel would happen a lot sooner but hope it gets added early in the first quarter for all the college hoops action.

I am very pleased with this swap. ESPNU is frequently requested to be a regular channel, and ESPN Classic makes sense to be on a premium sports tier.

The only disappointment in this release is that we won't get ESPNU-HD until Jan 2010 (possibly earlier), just after football season.

Good decision and moves DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts