ESPNU off of the Sports Tier?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm well aware of the reason why D* can't come to an agreement with ESPN for the carriage rights to ESPNU HD. But for a provider that calls itself the "clear leader" for HD and fancies itself as the best provider for HD sports, not to do whatever it takes to have ESPNU HD at it's launch, it is stupid.

I'm also annoyed by this, but mostly because I'll still sign up for the Sports Pack in a week, to get my UConn away games. No reason those PAYING EXTRA shouldn't get HD, but it's caught up in wrangling.

As buckeye stated, it's part of the hideous "sports" package which really means you get pre-game of teams but no games and then the same packaged water ski competition on 15 different RSNs. There are really only about 2 or 3 stations worth getting on that tier. :cool:

not true. i have watched several stanford womens basketball games on what use to be fsn bay area. there are many local (college) games and local shows that are available if you have the sports pak!

Finally, SEC games in HD, instead of those low-budget Raycom productions. I bet some people are going to be mad they're not on local TV anymore.

Don't be so sure...
The Big Ten has been on ESPNU for a few years now and everyone hates it and hopes thier team doesn't get the ESPNU draw, unless you like watching your game from the top of the stadium(s).

The quality of ESPNU has been WAY below what you would expect from a ESPN/ABC broadcast. They will have to make MAJOR changes this year if the want to be accepted.

Jimbo

Don't be so sure...
The Big Ten has been on ESPNU for a few years now and everyone hates it and hopes thier team doesn't get the ESPNU draw, unless you like watching your game from the top of the stadium(s).

The quality of ESPNU has been WAY below what you would expect from a ESPN/ABC broadcast. They will have to make MAJOR changes this year if the want to be accepted.

Jimbo

I think he is talking about when ESPNU hd finally gets turned on. Not sd.

Finally, SEC games in HD, instead of those low-budget Raycom productions. I bet some people are going to be mad they're not on local TV anymore.

Not me. Most of the time I can't get it, because Directv doesn't have the same locals included like cable around here does. Cable has all the Huntington/Charleston locals and WKYT out of Lexington.

Great... another reason for the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network to put more poker and dog shows on ESPN and ESPN2. It's like MTV.. create another network so you now have 2 networks with half garbage instead of one solid network. I'm really disappointed in SEC commissioner, Mike Silve. The BTN is great because I can see nearly all Big11 games and coaches shows, without having the sports pack. ESPNU will require the sports pack, wherever you like including the Southeast.

Mike Silve didn't want to battle with Communistcast or Time Warner so he wimped out and gave the shaft to the fans. $10 extra a month is unfair to the consumer.

What he SHOULD have done is talk with CBS sports channel, which is on the brink of folding anyhow, and negotiate to purchase the network and make it the SEC Network on an expanded basic lineup.

ESPNU

ESPNU has always been part of the Sports Pack and now with D*'s realignment, so is the Big Ten Network.

Hate to break the new to you all.

Maybe D* should consider treating ESPNU like a regional sports network within SEC territory when the contract begins? Treat it the same as the BTN.

ESPNU has always been part of the Sports Pack and now with D*'s realignment, so is the Big Ten Network.

Hate to break the new to you all.

BTN part of the Sports Pack???

I still get it and I do not have the Sports Pack.

So what is the reason that if I get all the ESPN's with my package, we don't get the odd stepchild ESPNU under the same agreement ?

Jimbo

Most providers are giving BTN in BigTen states only, and in other states it is in their sports pack, if they even offer one. DirecTV is the exception to this, for now. Much like Dish changed it this summer, DirecTV could change that in the future too.

I hope they don't, but anything is possible. Just depends on how long their original contract required placement in the basic package. Dish's contract, that was just one year.

I hope they don't move Big 10 into the Sports Pack in the future. That would really suck.

I hope they don't move Big 10 into the Sports Pack in the future. That would really suck.

Why ???
IF your in the Big Ten network area, it should be considered your local area and you would get it anyways, in the sports package or otherwise.
Just like those that are in areas with more than one RSN in thier area, they get them all if they are in thier area.

Jimbo

Why ???
IF your in the Big Ten network area, it should be considered your local area and you would get it anyways, in the sports package or otherwise.
Just like those that are in areas with more than one RSN in thier area, they get them all if they are in thier area.

Jimbo

I can't believe they have ESPNU in the sports pack, I wanted to watch the Pitt game today, and can't.

IMHO it's not worth the price just for a couple channels, I get Fox Sports Pittsburgh, all the other RSNs are the same except blacked out games.

I can't believe they have ESPNU in the sports pack, I wanted to watch the Pitt game today, and can't.

IMHO it's not worth the price just for a couple channels, I get Fox Sports Pittsburgh, all the other RSNs are the same except blacked out games.

You would have watched them lose anyway. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts