ESX242 C-band LNBF skew on motorized dish: 90 degrees off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisW6ATV

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Hayward, Cal. USA
Hi all-

I bought an ESX242 dual-output C-band LNBF, and since my dish (10-foot KTI, I think) is motorized, I set the skew at 0 with the dish pointed at its apex/southernmost satellite (121 in my case). To me, zero meant "straight up" with the dish at the top of the arc.

I connected one output to my 4DTV DSR-922 receiver. Some notes say to set 4DTV receivers to "rotated 90 degrees" when using an LNBF, but I seemed not to have to do that. Next, I connected the other LNBF output to my X2 Premium receiver, and guess what? It is receiving signals (in a blind scan) with reversed polarity. (87 SES 2 3735 is received as "horizontal", for example.) OK, so the fix is simple: Go back and rotate the LNBF 90 degrees, and check the box for "rotated 90" on the DSR-922, and things will be fine on the X2.

My question is: Is all of this normal, and what I thought was "zero" skew is incorrect? (I did see one note that implied to point the 0-degree mark on an LNBF to the "3 o'clock" position on the dish, but it was not entirely clear to me.) Thanks.

That would be correct. If you don't 'rotate 90' on the DCII all the FTA polarities will be reversed.
Set the LNBF '0' to the 3 o'clock position, Rotate 90 in the DCII set up, and all will be kosher.

The rotate 90 routine was some bit of General Instrument weirdness that no one has ever come up with a good explanation of why.At least I've never heard one.:D

Those C band LNBFs are most all off by 90 degrees.
We have that documented around here somewhere.
I can't recall if the dual bands units were or not. :)

Thank you for the confirmations, waylew and Anole. I looked for a dual-band, dual-output LNBF but could not find one, and I saw comments saying that smaller dishes are better for Ku reception anyway.

I thought about it more, after reading more comments elsewhere, and I realized that if we think of it in terms of elevation (which is what vertical versus horizontal is), then horizontal is indeed 0 degrees and vertical is 90.

I installed an ESX241 the same way. Didn't discover it until I had programmed both AZBox and MicroHD. Company was coming, so didn't change anything yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)