Ethernet port active on 622!!!

the Video On Demand service thats coming is that only going to work with the ethernet port or will the old phone connection also let you use that service when it launches?

i have a xbox 360 connected to my router so whats a good way to connect the 622/xbox to this one cable? My router is maxed out on it's end

So just curious, but does anyone know how much data the 622 will be pulling down from the ethernet? Is this just something light used for verifying info faster than a phone line, or will it be using this to try and pull down video, etc as well? (wouldn't think so as you have the perfectly good satellite connection for that, but the idiocy of programmers never ceases to amaze me)

So just curious, but does anyone know how much data the 622 will be pulling down from the ethernet? Is this just something light used for verifying info faster than a phone line, or will it be using this to try and pull down video, etc as well? (wouldn't think so as you have the perfectly good satellite connection for that, but the idiocy of programmers never ceases to amaze me)

DishOnline is going to be a VOD type of service that will allow you to download movies via the broadband connection. It isn't enable yet, but I hope it is soon. This has real promise as long as they don't mess it up with huge fees!

Thinking of connecting wireless, rather than having to drill a hole into the floor to run ethernet from my switch to the HT.

Will this work: Amazon.com: Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter: Electronics

Yes, but that one is a bit pricey. I went with this, which has the added benefit of being able to connect up to 4 devices.
Newegg.com - BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter up to 125Mbps Data Rates WPA-PSK(AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP - Retail

I would hope they cram as much data over the net connection as possible. Why waste Sat band width.

I would hope they cram as much data over the net connection as possible. Why waste Sat band width.
It depends on the content. If you've got something that needs to go to everybody, why saturate your network with thousands of clients downloading when you can just dump it on a satellite transponder. If you've got something only a few need, sure send it over the network.

there is a upload logs option that supports ethernet. It's under diagnostics. havent dared try it though

I tried it this morning. It took a very long time and I'm not sure what it did, but it appeared to make it all the way through the process. I wasn't sure whether it was uploading over ethernet or the satellite connection.

Well you can't upload anything over the satellite. So it was either over the phone or over the internet.

I'm networking 'dumb'

Here is my setup. I have a 4 port router w/ wireless. All 4 ports are used. Three to computers and one to the xbox in the LR where the HDTV is

So I take a switch and unplug from the xbox my Ethernet cable > plug that into the switch > and then a cable to the xbox and one to the 622?

Now, can anyone advise a reliable switch ?

I do have the tele already connected to the receiver so IS this a must or just a better way ?
I mean I didn't think I would be downloading data through my ISP for my 622 and when gaming I do not want any dataflow at all so this has me a little leary unless it's the only way to get video on demand or advanced features

Thanks
Tiger

I just uploaded my logs through the ethernet. There is a box where you can specify either Dial out or Ethernet. It seemed like it took forever.

I'm networking 'dumb'
So I take a switch and unplug from the xbox my Ethernet cable > plug that into the switch > and then a cable to the xbox and one to the 622?

Tiger

You got it right. I have 4-port Linksys switch that drives the XBOX, a Slingbox, and eventually the 622.

Try Linksys or D-link. $20-30 for a 4-port switch. Newegg.com - LINKSYS EZXS55W 10/20/100/200Mbps Workgroup Switch 5 x RJ45 - Retail

Newegg.com - D-Link DES-1105 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 5 x RJ45 2K MAC Address Table 64KB Buffer Memory - Retail

Here is my setup. I have a 4 port router w/ wireless. All 4 ports are used. Three to computers and one to the xbox in the LR where the HDTV is

First, just to get you pointed in the right direction, Best Buy, as an example, has a Dynex brand 5-port switch for $23. A switch is supposed to be "better" than a hub, but I can't recall why now. They have a D-Link switch for $24 and a Netgear for $34. Take your pick....

To hook things up, your steps are correct. Locate the switch near the XBox and 622. Remove the cable going to the XBox and plug it into the new switch. One of the ports, almost always on the 'end', should be labeled "Uplink". Some are "auto" nowadays too (Netgears often use a switch that toggles between uplink and normal). Plug into that one. Now run two cables from the other ports to the XBox and the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)