Ethernet port active on 622!!!

"A switch is supposed to be "better" than a hub, but I can't recall why now."

Switches are smarter and just broadcast to the target or destination port. The hubs broadcast to all ports, generating more network traffic. Switches have come down so much in price that I don't recall seeing a hub for sale in the last few years.

Thanks King and Hall, off to order one now :)

I just hope this thing does not mess with game play when I might be hosting a gears of war game.

again thanks for the help as I just was not certain if I had it right. I had a fit getting my xbox to be OPEN until I found the port forwarding inside of the router.
So after getting that working I was in the if it works don't break it mode, lol

Then we get this nice new update to the 622 and a slingbox now is tempting me. Almost daily I feel the need to watch tv on my laptop from the satellite but I just stream divx files I have already downloaded. Since I will have the switch and another port I can now take this plunge as well

again, thanks to everyone

Tiger

Last edited:
"A switch is supposed to be "better" than a hub, but I can't recall why now."

Switches are smarter and just broadcast to the target or destination port. The hubs broadcast to all ports, generating more network traffic. Switches have come down so much in price that I don't recall seeing a hub for sale in the last few years.

Yes, this is correct. That much I know!

I have two linksys switches to expand existing ethernet ports in different parts of my house, and the main wired router/switch. I think I paid $20 -30 for the 4-port switches.

I look at it very simply. My main router/switch has four ports. I use those to plug into the four ports I have in the wall. At the destination of those ports, I put in another switch, and it expands each of those ports by a factor of four. And smack dab in the middle of the house, I use one of those ports for a wireless access point. Its amazing how easy it is to setup and maintain this network.

Thanks King and Hall, off to order one now :)

I just hope this thing does not mess with game play when I might be hosting a gears of war game.

again thanks for the help as I just was not certain if I had it right. I had a fit getting my xbox to be OPEN until I found the port forwarding inside of the router.
So after getting that working I was in the if it works don't break it mode, lol

Then we get this nice new update to the 622

again, thanks to everyone

Tiger

The only way it might impact is if you are using all of your bandwidth for VOD downloading.

using all of your bandwidth for VOD downloading.

That's what I am afraid of but I would have initiated that I assume much like when I download on the internet. Is this VOD almos always pay ?

If it is then I doubt I will get much as I already pay dish a ton and microsoft trys to sell me HD content in their marketplace. they actually have a decent setup with the 360 but I refuse to pay that much ( esp when the internet has it already 'out there, koff' )

I assumed everything came down via the DISH though, doh is me

Anyways I got the linksys switch for 23 bucks with a 10 dollar mail in rebate

So add the External HD for the USB storage, the activation fee and the switch DISH has cost me a lot lately!!

A note for you guys that may have an old router laying around and only one cat 5 to your entertainment center. No need to buy a switch.

Hook your router to a PC. Go into the configuration page of the router.

1. Set it to obtain IP automatically for WAN. (It will not use this since nothing is going to be hooked to the WAN port)

2. Set a unique static LAN ip address on your subnet for the device.

3. Turn off DHCP.

4. Plug the cat 5 from the wall into a LAN port.

5. Plug your other devices that need an internet connection into the other LAN ports.

Your devices will draw an IP from your main router (not the one you just configured) and everything will work without having to put out bucks on another piece of equipment. This is assuming you are not running static IP's in your network with no DHCP server from your main router. But if you have done that to your network, then you already know what you need to do. LOL :D

Do not hook anything to the WAN port.

The steps above turn off a few features and makes your router into a switch.

Drats, I just remembered I had a old LINKSYS WGA54G I gave to my brother that he is not using.
But he's 5 hrs away so it's not worth the drive in this heat and the gas

Thanks for the great steps there Ron and I am sure many will be able to use them

I still want to read more about this on demand stuff.

Right now I could go and plug my cable in that's in my xbox and it would work with the 622 I assume but there are no reasons to do that and I want to game later :)

We have a few gamers here right ? I suck hardcore but I have fun

My gamertag is UKillMeLongTime if anyone wants to add me to look me up. The name fits also!

lol

Tiger

As of today, unless you pay the $5/mo fee because you don't have a phone line connected to your receiver, no, there's no need to hook it up right now.

As of today, unless you pay the $5/mo fee because you don't have a phone line connected to your receiver, no, there's no need to hook it up right now.
So you are saying the $5 is bye bye automatically? I hope so. What is your source? I know the connection is working.

I tried to order a PPV earlier. It tried the phone line. Then the broadband. It connected with the broadband but said I was over my limit with PPV. This was the first PPV on my account.

Then I tuned to the PPV channel for sheets and giggles.

It worked. Scheduled a recording (It was an all day ticket) and it recorded fine. :up

I am happy with what we have thus far. Kudos to Dish for getting in on the game however late. But we need static IP ability and a web interface similar to what TivoWeb is. Tivo did this stuff 4 years ago!!!!!!!!!

Well, I have mine hooked up. Its leased and IP and I can ping the 622.

I'm not disconnecting the phone line though. Just gotta wait for something cool to happen.

Then we get this nice new update to the 622 and a slingbox now is tempting me.
Tiger

Tiger - we have 2 XBOX's and 1 XBOX 360. I've had all 3 boxes hooked to the switch playing Halo 2. No problem. I need to get a 16-port Netgear switch to put in my network closet because I've run out of ports too! In my AV cabinet I have a 622, Slingbox, XBOX 360, AV Receiver, and BluRay which all have ethernet connections.

Don't forget, you can also chain switches together.

Just to tempt you further, here is a great deal on the Slingbox AV ($115):
PROVANTAGE: Sling Media

Best price I've ever seen.

Slingbox...

Not to get this topic too far off track, for those of you with the Slingbox already what is the minimum upload speed for your broadband connection to make this worth having? For my DSL line the D/L speed is 3 meg/sec but my U/L is capped at 512k/sec.

Is that enough to enjoy the Slingbox while I am on the road?

512 maybe okay, i had dsl at 768 upload, and the video was watchable (slingbox)
On the low end, I had cable modem which limited upload to 350 and that was
not very good video quality...

The geek in me really wants to hook my 622 into my network but I just can't quite get myself to do it since I already have a phone line plugged into it. There's no real benefit.

But there will be going forward! Go ahead and do it!

Not to get this topic too far off track, for those of you with the Slingbox already what is the minimum upload speed for your broadband connection to make this worth having? For my DSL line the D/L speed is 3 meg/sec but my U/L is capped at 512k/sec.

Is that enough to enjoy the Slingbox while I am on the road?

We are getting 3.13 Mbps download and 328 kbps upload. Sling says you need a minimum of 256 kpbs dowloand. They have a speed tester here: Sling Media - Test my connection speed!

I got the Sling for Christmas, didn't think I would ever use it, now we use it all the time.

We have Comcast cable internet. I was able to watch my Slingbox at home over my in-laws AT&T DSL service. They were only geting about 350 kbps download, worked great. Kept the kids happy.

There are some good deals this weekend on ethernet switches. I was looking for a 16-port switch, but the biggest the big box stores carry is 8-port. We have a Frys about 20 miles away, but will likely end up buying over the internet.

Hard Wired Routers

I have a question. How do I go about with having a hard-wired router? I truly can not go to wireless router because I have a very specific video conferencing hardware that DOES NOT work at all or very well on wireless. In my mind, I think I will need to buy some kinda wireless adapter sender(?) and a bridge at the other end. Could any one help point me in that direction? Recommendations? My hard-wired router is nothing fancy...just a cute D-Link 604. It works great for my 2 computers and my video conference. Do not wish to upgrade something that works like a beaut.

Help? Suggestions?

Also, what about older receivers other than 622's for the ethernet port?

I have a question. How do I go about with having a hard-wired router? I truly can not go to wireless router because I have a very specific video conferencing hardware that DOES NOT work at all or very well on wireless. In my mind, I think I will need to buy some kinda wireless adapter sender(?) and a bridge at the other end. Could any one help point me in that direction? Recommendations? My hard-wired router is nothing fancy...just a cute D-Link 604. It works great for my 2 computers and my video conference. Do not wish to upgrade something that works like a beaut.

Help? Suggestions?

Can you run another cable from the 622 and the router? You should have an open port if as you described.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)