Ever Seen it Done Like This (56k warning)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I bought a big spool of 10 guage wire at an auction for $1.

The problem is, it is the same color, so I had to string it one at a time
then tape it up with my coax.
The only way I could go underground is through the driveway, after digging half up it up with a shovel and a pick-axe, and loosing a gallon of sweat and 5 pouns off my elbow, I said %$#% it and filled it in and decided to go over head.
Then the today I tripped and all the wires came out of the back of the reeceiver, well since they are all the same color, I had to trace them one by one. Next Time Im getting some lables.

It starts at the acuator
rs51q9.jpg

then out 15 feet
119au5l.jpg

then over my dad's Pile O' Crap
2h36byr.jpg

to this hook
2e3r0o7.jpg

over the garage
qozy90.jpg

over the door
2v2v1tt.jpg

up and around the telephone pole
2li8ln5.jpg

down the eave
14mjqa.jpg

down
2inu54.jpg

under the soffit
219aur8.jpg

through my window
szdfdv.jpg

through my window, past the bottle collection, excsuse the mess
v4xqmu.jpg

and hooked to my receiver
24whi1i.jpg

all done by yours truly
2rp48m1.jpg

it took alot of time, but it was better then digging up the driveway

I wished it was a 6 foot sami parked there

and you couldnt use thumbnails because???????

im not a big thumbnail fan. You have to look at a picture, open it, and look at it again, then you have extra windows to close, that takes time

so i put 56k warning

use thumbnails next time...thank you

and on firefox there is a cute little option that says "close other tabs" that closes all tabs but the original one you have up

we still have a fair amount of folks who use dial up here so they can't open the threads because of all the links to pictures. Heck I'm on DSL and it took forever to download. Thumbnails give the option to open the pics.

use thumbnails next time...thank you

and on firefox there is a cute little option that says "close other tabs" that closes all tabs but the original one you have up

we still have a fair amount of folks who use dial up here so they can't open the threads because of all the links to pictures. Heck I'm on DSL and it took forever to download. Thumbnails give the option to open the pics.

sure no prob

it took you time to download those pictures?? and i thought my dsl was bad

It took a little bit for it to load all of them...probably 15 seconds or so but it slowed down the page load by linking that way.

too bad you cant make a thumbnail that enlarges when you roll over it like on ebay

Much easier way to go under the driveway than to dig it up.

Get some short sections of 2 1/2" PVC, glue and straight connectors.

Dig a hole on either side of the driveway (below frost line if that's an issue).

Start the hole under the driveway a little bit just to start the PVC - then use a garden hose (water pressure) to "dig" your conduit tunnel. Add pieces of PVC as needed until you are through. Muddy work, but better than digging it up - filling it in - then filling it again for a year as it settles.

Remember, water carved the grand canyon!

Work smart - not hard :D.

wow I didn't think clicking on an image as thumbnail can be hazardous to your health.

I've always wanted to try the water method for putting a pipe underground. Seems like going through soil, it would work, but the problem here, is rocks. I can't dig for more than a few feet without running into rocks. Basketball sized rocks are everywhere, beach ball up to 4' diameter common, and they pulled one the size of a Volkswagen out of the ditch at the end of my driveway. {Big excavator had a hard time moving it anywhere but downhill, so I told them to just nudge it to the corner of my driveway. And there was another rock nearby, that the excavator couldn't even budge. A few rocks in my woods that are really big. }
Anyway, you wouldn't very far underground with water up here, unless it was somehow steerable to get around rocks. Neat idea though.

Re getting below frost line, that's pretty much out of the question up here too, but I really don't see any reason why you'd need to, except that shallow pipes tend to rise up out of the ground after a few years due to freeze/thaw. Actually many of the town's culverts tend to come up out of the ground here. But the conduit from my garage to dish has been in the ground for several years, and it hasn't hit the surface yet. If it does, I'll just dig around it and plant it again.

Real reason for posting here though, is the thumbnail thing being one of the people who used to be on dialup, and am still on dialup about 25% of the time, since WildBlue doesn't work when it's raining, I'd often LIKE to use thumbnails, but wasn't sure how people do it on this forum. I've manually made thumbnails on my own web page, but I assume that there must be an automatic way of doing it on this forum, but haven't figured out how to do it yet, so I usually just try to keep the images as small as possible or compressed, or just put a link. Sometimes though, a thumbprint thing just isn't as useful, ie if your text is referring to the images it's often nice to look up from the text to see what's being referred to.

Anyway, it's not a black and white issue... sometimes thumbnails are better, sometimes the full image is better, provided it's not huge.

But I'd really like a hint relative to where the option on the message editor is (if there is one), which creates thumnails. Only thing I found is the button that makes images. Or, do you have to do it manually, and make two versions of the image, and create an html link to the big version? Seems like the manual way is asking a lot of users, so I'm assuming there must be an automatic way of doing it, but I sure don't see a button.

Much easier way to go under the driveway than to dig it up.

Get some short sections of 2 1/2" PVC, glue and straight connectors.

Dig a hole on either side of the driveway (below frost line if that's an issue).

Start the hole under the driveway a little bit just to start the PVC - then use a garden hose (water pressure) to "dig" your conduit tunnel. Add pieces of PVC as needed until you are through. Muddy work, but better than digging it up - filling it in - then filling it again for a year as it settles.

Remember, water carved the grand canyon!

Work smart - not hard :D.

yeah try doing that here, it is nothing but solid clay

But I'd really like a hint relative to where the option on the message editor is (if there is one), which creates thumnails.

The way I do it is to hit the Quote or Reply button, when the message entry page comes up click on the "paperclip" (over the space where you enter your message), that will open the "Manage Attachments" window. Then just browse your drive and select/attach your pics, when I post they always come up as thumbnails with no further manipulation.

The way I do it is to hit the Quote or Reply button, when the message entry page comes up click on the "paperclip" (over the space where you enter your message), that will open the "Manage Attachments" window. Then just browse your drive and select/attach your pics, when I post they always come up as thumbnails with no further manipulation.

Thanks. I'm trying it now (picture of wires behind some of my receivers).

I see, that it always puts them at the bottom, no way to place them within the text?

Anyway, thanks. I've been wondering how to do that.

Attachments

• satrxwires.jpg
    satrxwires.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 268
You can get thumbnails if you upload the pictures to an online (free) service like imageshack, as soon as you upload a picture it'll give you a link, and use that clickable thumbnail to open the original size pic, at least that's the way I do it :) (also saves bandwidth on the forum).

Cheers

Mike

Thumbnails work the best
Not any more...! If this whole "auto-thumbnail thing" or whatever it is, that makes your screen go dark and smacks the picture up, in the middle of what you're already reading stays like that, I'll be posting giant Techfizzle style pictures too! :mad:

I posted in the ops area the fix

just click on the pick. If you let your mouse sit on the pic it will switch over. Took my computer 3+ seconds to do that. I have plenty of time to click on the pic :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)