Everyone talks about HD, what about SD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thechad708

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2005
I am currently a Dishnetwork customer but I am interested in getting Directv for NFL Sunday Ticket but when I look at Directv's SD movie lineup it looks pretty poor compared to Dish. Any idea when Directv might add things like HBO comedy or more cinemax, Starz channels?

I am currently a Dishnetwork customer but I am interested in getting Directv for NFL Sunday Ticket but when I look at Directv's SD movie lineup it looks pretty poor compared to Dish. Any idea when Directv might add things like HBO comedy or more cinemax, Starz channels?

Frankly, I'm hoping that DirecTV isn't wasting any of it's energy on SD. My only interest in SD channels is when they are going to be offered in HD. Any gaps in programming at this point, I'm hoping is filled with HD programming. See no reason in the world to focus on providing NEW SD channels. Focus the bulk of attention on converting current SD channels to HD, and make certain new channels begin life as HD programming!

That's just my take! The quicker HD becomes the norm and we shake the SD Gorilla off our backs, the quicker we can shake the premiums.

Probable not anytime soon. Not sure why they offer less movie channels then Dish. If they don't offer them now I don't see it being a priority as opposed to HD.

Probably when they raise the price of HBO to $14.99 like DISH and $13. each for Cinemax and Starz.:rolleyes:

DirecTV downrez's their SD to 480x480.

It seems to me D downrezs everything. I have both Dish and Direct and there is no comparison between the two when it comes to HD. Dish wins handsdown. I only have Direct for the baseball programming and the few games I have watch on their BHD channel, especially the Yankee games looks pretty washed out compared to the games last year on Dish when they had baseball. I am hoping they get this fixed this year because I am wavering towards Direct, so I don't have two systems, but if their HD doesn't get better then I will have to think real hard about it. I know it isn't my plasma because I have seen both sats and there was no adjustment needed on the Dish reception. Just my two cents worth.

Ummmm...helllo....is this thing on?

Dish downrezzes too so let's not put them on a pedestal here.

As for the original question, once DirecTV shuts down all the MPEG2 HD in the next couple years that will free up a LOT of bandwidth on the core SD sats (101/110/119) which they can use to add more SD channels and/or increase PQ. Remains to be seen what they will really do. Check back in the last half of 2008.

As for movies, don't forget the new VOD system that DirecTV is going to roll out. That should really supplement their movie library. But you'll need an HR20 to use VOD.

To me it dont matter what company you are talking about d or e everything is ITS COMING VOD more HD or what ever. There is no way any company can guarantee anything. Nothing is a done deal until it is live. i too for one would like to see any company adding more SD than HD until they sell more HD TV's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)