ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paternos order own review of Freeh's data

Source

The family of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has instructed its lawyer to form a "group of experts" to conduct a comprehensive review of the facts and conclusions presented last week in the Freeh report.

"We are dismayed by, and vehemently disagree with, some of the conclusions and assertions and the process by which they were developed by the Freeh Group," Wick Sollers, the lawyer for the Paterno family, said in a statement Monday. "Mr. Freeh presented his opinions and interpretations as if they were absolute facts. We believe numerous issues in the report, and his commentary, bear further review."

The Paterno family also said it will ask its team of experts and lawyers "to go beyond the report and identify additional information that should be analyzed."

In addition, the Paterno family has asked the Freeh group to preserve all of its records, notes and materials collected during its eight-month investigation of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal at Penn State. Sandusky was convicted last month of 45 counts of molesting 10 boys during a 15-year period.....

Full Story

You raise an excellent point...

Offhand, I would be inclined to punish only those who were directly involved with the concealment/coverup. However, much like how a child suffers when a parent is imprisoned, innocent parties are going to suffer due to the impact of one of life's oldest lessons, "Life ain't fair." While I don't feel the entire program should be summarily punished, in reality, it's a moot point because the death bell has already been sounded on the Penn State football program regardless of any imposed NCAA punishment.

Seriously, just how many student athletes are standing in line to join the PSU football program's Rank & Defile these days? My guess is not many, which leads me to believe that PSU will be forced into paying homage to the old idiom, "Paying through the nose" for the misdeeds of their fearful leaders.

Sanctions or not, I think the PSU program will be in disarray for the next 5-years. We shall see...

I understand it has happened in the past and I have never liked the rule. The offenders most, yes most, of the time get off penalty free, but in this case the guilty are going to go to jail so there is no need to punish the ones that have nothing to do with it. Why does the school itself have to have extra burdens on them? I would never let my kids go there no matter how much time has passed and I would assume there will be a lot like me. Shouldn't that be penalty enough? Do you think big time star players will ever go there?

No reason to, they have 3 guys going through the court system now to blame. Paterno will get his share of the blame too though still.

True, but aren't these 3 bozos and their attorney's likely to point the finger of blame in the direction of somebody who cannot defend himself? "Joe knew about it; Joe handled things; Joe threatened to kill us if we didn't cooperate against our wishes." When all is said and done, we may discover that Joe Paterno was out standing on the grassy knoll that fateful November day in Dallas.

Im just saying these jokers have every reason to lie.

True, but aren't these 3 bozos and their attorney's likely to point the finger of blame in the direction of somebody who cannot defend himself? "Joe knew about it; Joe handled things; Joe threatened to kill us if we didn't cooperate against our wishes." When all is said and done, we may discover that Joe Paterno was out standing on the grassy knoll that fateful November day in Dallas.

Im just saying these jokers have every reason to lie.
According to the Freeh report, there's plenty of documented evidence that the administration was deeply involved in the cover-up. No one man will take the hit for this...

rockymtnhigh said:
Not enough.

Hey...don't get me wrong...I think they deserve it as well...go back to thread when this 1st came out, I was every vocal about Penn State getting the death penalty...and most here thought I was crazy for even bringing it up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342499963055.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342499963055.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 88
So with that then you are saying that if the dean of your department was doing this same thing at your school that the entire criminal justice department should be killed? Even though you or the other faculty had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
its the way it works in the NCAA. the ones who commit the crime usually don't do the time in college football. in this case it shouldn't be any different. what's good for ohio st, miami and everyone else is certainly good enough for penn state.

Great editorial in the Chicago Tribune.

The death penalty for Penn State - chicagotribune.com

At Penn State, it's clear, President Graham Spanier knew very well that in the campus hierarchy, he ranked below Paterno. If there is one sure way to diminish the importance of football in State College, it's to close it down. That sanction would impress on coaches, administrators, students and alumni that the sport's role has grossly warped the values that should govern an institution of higher learning.

It would also give everyone connected to the school a chance to address how to repair the grave harm done to the institutional reputation that its officials sought to shelter:

Right now, the public doesn't associate Penn State with academic excellence or even gridiron prowess. It associates Penn State with a naked coach raping a boy in the locker room showers.

The value of this death penalty would not be limited to Penn State: It would forcefully remind every school that athletics, no matter how successful or profitable, must be subordinate to the higher mission of education.

Yes, the death penalty would cost other schools game and broadcast revenues. Yes, it would disrupt TV schedules. Yes, it would encourage players to transfer.

Is it worth all that to deter coaches and university officers from excusing heinous crimes in their midst, and to deter predators from committing such crimes in the future?

It's a question that shouldn't need to be asked.

The time is now. The NCAA needs to do the right thing.

This will be my only comment in here I don't want to be caught up in all the arguing. I am glad Sandusky is in jail and I hope everyone who helped cover it up also ends up in jail because IMO what they did is just as bad as what Sandusky did. They should pull down the statue since he covered it up but IMO they should keep Paterno's name on the library just because all the good he did do with scholarships for students. I DON'T feel the school should get the death penalty, there is no reason to punish the kids who had nothing to do with this, not one player was involved in this.

I like this article, read the whole thing.

Many have argued a message needs to be sent that nothing or anyone -- not a hallowed football program or a legendary coach -- can be bigger than a university. Freeh talked of a culture at Penn State where janitors knew of a Sandusky assault in 2000 in the Penn State football facility and were afraid to report it. Freeh said taking on the football program would be, for them, "like taking on the President of the United States."

I would suggest that much-needed message has been and will continue to be sent by the judicial system. It's not just Sandusky's conviction and the prosecution of, Curley, Schultz and possibly Spanier. It's the millions Penn State will pay out to settle civil lawsuits.

That's a powerful message.

It's not just Penn State that should learn from it. How about noted football schools such as Alabama, Louisiana State, Florida and Ohio State? Do you really believe the culture of football is any different there than it was at Penn State?
The difference is Penn State had a monster in its midst, a monster so conniving and so convincing that he long fooled people in the highest places. Did you know Sandusky was named by President George H.W. Bush as one of his "Thousand Points Of Light" in 1990 for his work with his Second Mile Foundation? "A shining example," Bush called Sandusky.

Eventually, four Penn State officials caught on to Sandusky. They chose to do nothing about him. It was the worst mistake of each of their lives. They deserve everything they've gotten and will get.
The kids on the Penn State football team -- none of whom had anything to do with Sandusky -- shouldn't go down with Spanier, Curley, Schultz and Paterno.

This horrific story doesn't need more innocent victims.

Read more: Cook: Fallout not over for reeling Penn State - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I agree, keep his name on the Library, since he's the one who donated the money for it. But get rid of the statue since he was part of the coverup.

As for the death penalty, no NCAA rules pretaining to atheltics were broken. And what's next? the NCAA gets involved whenever other crimes occur on or off campus? The school is going to be punished greatly as is. One man is in jail, others will likely follow (Paterno would as well if he were still alive), plus the school and the Paterno estate are going to be sued heavily (small wonder Joe transferred most of his assetts into his wife's sole name when the scandal broke).

I agree, keep his name on the Library, since he's the one who donated the money for it. But get rid of the statue since he was part of the coverup.

As for the death penalty, no NCAA rules pretaining to atheltics were broken. And what's next? the NCAA gets involved whenever other crimes occur on or off campus? The school is going to be punished greatly as is. One man is in jail, others will likely follow (Paterno would as well if he were still alive), plus the school and the Paterno estate are going to be sued heavily (small wonder Joe transferred most of his assetts into his wife's sole name when the scandal broke).

How is this not the ultimate case of lack of institutional control? And that is a NCAA rule. Nuke them.

If anything, the cover-up could probably be called a case of excessive institutional control...

I opt for well-organized abusive institutional control. ;) Although some may vehemently disagree (and they would have a valid argument) the Sandusky Scandal largely focused around the criminal actions of a.) a "former" football coach who has no official role nor association with the football program to my knowledge and b.) the actions of school administrators. While this matter may have brought great embarrasement and shame to the football program, it did not directly involve the football program, per se. Now, if an "active" coach or players were involved with these incidents...well, now that's quite another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)