ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you such a Paterno fan? He covered up an atrocity. The university has to look to the future, and having that status there means every time people walk past it, they will see a symbol of the scandal. If the university is ever to get beyond this, they need to move forward, and the statue is a small reminder they can easily make go away. And moreover, I suspect they see it as an easier compromise then suspending their football program. "Look we took down the statue."

I'm not a fan, per se, of Joe Paterno, but I am HUGE FAN of justice and I detest illogical knee-jerk reactions. The first knee-jerk reaction is going after the PSU football program when the program (certainly the players and staff) were not involved with Sandusky's behavior nor the alleged cover-up by school administration. Here's a hypothetical...let's say someone did something that would cause shame and embarrassment to him family if the events were known to the public. So he decides to cover up his actions. Later, his actions are revealed to the public so the man takes his life instead of dealing with the subsequent punishment and humiliation. That's his choice. However, since the man is not around to atone for his misdeeds---and since we're a brainless mob---let's punish his wife and children! THINK PEOPLE, THINK!

Other than certain administators colluding to keep negative press away from the football program, this matter had almost NOTHING to do with the football program: it did not involve cheating; there were no recruiting violations; nobody fudged acedemic reports; there were no players involved with misconduct; there were no "active" coaches involved with misconduct or criminal activity; there were no material NCAA vioations other than this highly-subjective "loss of institutional control" malarkey. To sancition the football program is foolish, foolhardy and nonsensical. Seriously, it defies logic!

As for knee-jerk reaction #2, the mob (led by University legal advisors, no doubt) decide to remove the statue of a man who, by all accounts, has been the epitomy of kindness, character and class at the University. Yep, he is a legendary coach and, more importantly, he is beloved by millions of students and alumni for his character, humanitarianism, and involvement with the betterment of his community. So let's take a massive dump on the memory of a deceased JoPa (a man millions adored) and flush-away 60-years of stellar-living in favor of a report funded by the Univeristy. We've heard exactly ONE SIDE OF THE STORY, which was PAID for by the UNIVERSITY. Do you think the Univeristy has anything to gain by deflecting blame upon a man who is no longer around to defend himself? Do you think they may have a vested interested to lessening the damages ($$$) of this scandal? OF COURSE THEY DO! (Oh, God...I'm turning into Salsa with all these Caps!) :eek: :D

It's idiocy, lunacy, and a knee-jerk reaction! Joe Paterno has basically gone from sainthood to being vilified by the press of the mindless and unthinking; he is been turned into the Poster Boy of Moral Terpitude and Facilitator General of the North American Man/Boy Love Association based on what?....a one-sided University sponsored report? Unfortunately, smart people who should know better, suprisingly don't. They hear the stories of Sandusky's abuse of children and pick-up a pitchfork and join the mob. Mob Rules! Yep, just like the Tommy they, "Put in your earplugs, Put on your eyeshades, You know where to put the cork!" If Joe Paterno knew the full details of Jolly Jerry's misdeeds and his desire to be a priest in a rectory filled with alter boys...well, then his legacy will be rightfully tarnished, and his statue should be rightfully removed from Beaver Stadium. However, we have NOT heard both sides of the story, these issues have NOT been fully vetter, and what the University is doing right now is ACTING TO PROTECT THEMSELVES and their football program from financial loss...which is exactly what got these yutzes into trouble in the first place.

Anyway, I hope you're never falsely accused of a criminal/ethical violation in your teaching profession and, if you are, I hope your adminstration will support you and not throw you to the wolves like they appear to be doing with Joe Paterno. Again, if Joe Paterno had full knowleged of these events and was an active participant in the cover-up...well, then I will gladly state that he covered up an atrocity. Until then...well, I'll continue to approach this rationally and logically. Other than appeasing the mob, there was nothing to be gained by taking down Joe Paterno's statue at this juncture. There are two sides to every story and we have not heard from Paterno or, in this case, his family. I will reserve judgment until all the facts are revealed. :hatsoff:

That's all I have to say on this matter...

If the University leadership covers up said DUI or criminal trouble, then yes.

Right or wrong, if they want that statue up, then move it inside the library. Leaving it outside the stadium, is just asking for trouble from visiting fans and vandals.

The more apt comparison would be if the coach is arrested for DUI several times per year for potentially decades, and is covered up by the university administrators to protect the impact being exposed would have to the football program.

Without that context it's like comparing murder to a speeding ticket.

Heh, there are so many holes in your 'logic' that it is clear it is not based on much if any. You are disregarding and lining up a variety of points only to reinforce your position, rather than considering them all and coming to a conclusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Paterno family releases statement on statue’s removal | CollegeFootballTalk

here’s the family’s statement, in its entirety:

“Tearing down the statue of Joe Paterno does not serve the victims of Jerry Sandusky’s horrible crimes or help heal the Penn State Community. We believe the only way to help the victims is to uncover the full truth. The Freeh report, though it has been accepted by the media as the definitive conclusion on the Sandusky scandal, is the equivalent of an indictment — a charging document written by a prosecutor — and an incomplete and unofficial one at that.

“To those who truly want to know the truth about Sandusky, it should matter that Joe Paterno has never had a hearing; that his legal counsel has never been able to interview key witnesses, all of whom are represented by lawyers and therefore unavailable; that there has never been an opportunity to review critical evidence which has not been made public; that selective evidence and the opinion of Mr Freeh is treated as the equivalent of a fair trial. Despite this obviously flawed and one-sided presentation, the University believes it must acquiesce and accept that Joe Paterno has been given a fair and complete hearing. We think the better course would have been for the University to take a strong stand in support of due process so that the complete truth can be uncovered.

“It is not the University’s responsibility to defend or protect Joe Paterno. But they at least should have acknowledged that important legal cases are still pending and that the record on Joe Paterno, the Board and other key players is far from complete.”

So Penn State will be cursed for 100 years for taking the statue down of a guy who at best looked the other way while kids got raped for 15 years, but not for looking the other way for 15 years?

I read some of the responses in this thread and I want to puke, excuse after excuse for Paterno and Penn State. We are so effed as a society if we can not protect children from molesters because of someone's legacy.

Mob mentality of protecting Paterno and his stupid football program was a catalyst for the cover up.

Freaking sickening.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

riffjim4069 said:
I'm not a fan, per se, of Joe Paterno, but I am HUGE FAN of justice and I detest illogical knee-jerk reactions. The first knee-jerk reaction is going after the PSU football program when the program (certainly the players and staff) were not involved with Sandusky's behavior nor the alleged cover-up by school administration. Here's a hypothetical...let's say someone did something that would cause shame and embarrassment to him family if the events were known to the public. So he decides to cover up his actions. Later, his actions are revealed to the public so the man takes his life instead of dealing with the subsequent punishment and humiliation. That's his choice. However, since the man is not around to atone for his misdeeds---and since we're a brainless mob---let's punish his wife and children! THINK PEOPLE, THINK!

Other than certain administators colluding to keep negative press away from the football program, this matter had almost NOTHING to do with the football program: it did not involve cheating; there were no recruiting violations; nobody fudged acedemic reports; there were no players involved with misconduct; there were no "active" coaches involved with misconduct or criminal activity; there were no material NCAA vioations other than this highly-subjective "loss of institutional control" malarkey. To sancition the football program is foolish, foolhardy and nonsensical. Seriously, it defies logic!

As for knee-jerk reaction #2, the mob (led by University legal advisors, no doubt) decide to remove the statue of a man who, by all accounts, has been the epitomy of kindness, character and class at the University. Yep, he is a legendary coach and, more importantly, he is beloved by millions of students and alumni for his character, humanitarianism, and involvement with the betterment of his community. So let's take a massive dump on the memory of a deceased JoPa (a man millions adored) and flush-away 60-years of stellar-living in favor of a report funded by the Univeristy. We've heard exactly ONE SIDE OF THE STORY, which was PAID for by the UNIVERSITY. Do you think the Univeristy has anything to gain by deflecting blame upon a man who is no longer around to defend himself? Do you think they may have a vested interested to lessening the damages ($$$) of this scandal? OF COURSE THEY DO! (Oh, God...I'm turning into Salsa with all these Caps!) :eek: :D

It's idiocy, lunacy, and a knee-jerk reaction! Joe Paterno has basically gone from sainthood to being vilified by the press of the mindless and unthinking; he is been turned into the Poster Boy of Moral Terpitude and Facilitator General of the North American Man/Boy Love Association based on what?....a one-sided University sponsored report? Unfortunately, smart people who should know better, suprisingly don't. They hear the stories of Sandusky's abuse of children and pick-up a pitchfork and join the mob. Mob Rules! Yep, just like the Tommy they, "Put in your earplugs, Put on your eyeshades, You know where to put the cork!" If Joe Paterno knew the full details of Jolly Jerry's misdeeds and his desire to be a priest in a rectory filled with alter boys...well, then his legacy will be rightfully tarnished, and his statue should be rightfully removed from Beaver Stadium. However, we have NOT heard both sides of the story, these issues have NOT been fully vetter, and what the University is doing right now is ACTING TO PROTECT THEMSELVES and their football program from financial loss...which is exactly what got these yutzes into trouble in the first place.

Anyway, I hope you're never falsely accused of a criminal/ethical violation in your teaching profession and, if you are, I hope your adminstration will support you and not throw you to the wolves like they appear to be doing with Joe Paterno. Again, if Joe Paterno had full knowleged of these events and was an active participant in the cover-up...well, then I will gladly state that he covered up an atrocity. Until then...well, I'll continue to approach this rationally and logically. Other than appeasing the mob, there was nothing to be gained by taking down Joe Paterno's statue at this juncture. There are two sides to every story and we have not heard from Paterno or, in this case, his family. I will reserve judgment until all the facts are revealed. :hatsoff:

EDIT: Nevermind

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:

While I don't agree with some of your argument, I too respect your opinion - and think you have made your case well. Thanks Riff.

so i made a post back when this whole thing started, and lets just say the things i said about paterno then weren't liked by many. i can't find the post now, but funny how a lot of people now feel the same way now(and i'm glad they do). what i find absolutely disgusting now is the rest of the paterno family just won't shut up. their stupilikd comments aren't making anything better, and it is making me dislike them even though they didn't do anything(although, who knows at this point). get over it, joe isn't a saint like he played himself out to be, and like you are doing now, even after the truth is out

i believe the school deserves to have the entire football program shut down and all of the players should get a chance to leave without penalty

edit: http://www.satelliteguys.us/sports-section/275382-hey-penn-state-shut-up.html#post2744051 here it is

Being a Pitt fan I always hated Paterno and Penn State because of the rivalry, IMO the statue should come down just to keep people from getting in trouble trying to destroy it. The Penn State football team doesn't deserve to have sanctions against them, they didn't do anything wrong. My sister is a alumni of Penn State and she still defends Paterno.

that's just not the way it works in the NCAA. the ones that stay or the newcomers usually do the time.not saying i agree with it but its the way is done.

that's just not the way it works in the NCAA. the ones that stay or the newcomers usually do the time.not saying i agree with it but its the way is done.

The NCAA is going down a slippery slope, if you are a coach or player of a team you better not know anyone that did something wrong because you and the school will be punished. The people committed a awful crime they ALL should go to jail, the people who had no part in it should be left alone, IMO the NCAA is doing this because of the outcry from the public.

That's what I call laying the smacketh down.. I still think a Death Penalty would have been more sufficient. I don't think vacating wins was necessary, but it definitely is a major F U to the last bastion of "good" in the Paterno sports legacy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)