ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Ten now goes after Penn State.

Penn State will not be allowed to participate in the Big Ten conference title game for the same four years in which it is banned from post season bowl games by the NCAA. Penn State will also not be allowed to share in the conference's bowl revenues for those four years, about a $13 million hit, according to a Big Ten press release. That money will be donated to children's charities, the release said.

Penn State's wins since 1998 vacated, hit with $60M fine – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I will be honest, I just to not see "justice" being served here in any way.

I personally believe that there is a special place in hell for people that commit crimes such as these, and I fully support the pursuit of justice in the court system to the absolute FULLEST extent that the law allows (and wouldnt cry honestly if some jailhouse justice was administered as well).

That said, this, IMHO, does nothing to further that cause, and only looks out for the interests and power of the NCAA as an organization itself, and helps to silence the ever louder cry of those that want something, anything, to be done.

This will have a far more reaching impact than on just the Penn State football program and the University itself.

i still don't understand what the shock is here. this is the way the NCAA handles EVERYTHING. why would they handle PENN ST. any different? :confused:

I also wonder why UVA didn't have sanctions brought on them when Yeardley Love was murdered buy UVA men's lacrosse player George Wesley Huguely V.

Yeah? How many decades did the coaches and administration cover it up?

Or are you going to just keep tossing out irrelevant garbage without backing anything up?

i still don't understand what the shock is here. this is the way the NCAA handles EVERYTHING. why would they handle PENN ST. any different? :confused:

That's the problem, they never went after anybody like this, this was a criminal act, they never went after ANY school who committed a criminal act.

That's the problem, they never went after anybody like this, this was a criminal act, they never went after ANY school who committed a criminal act.

has there ever been anything like this before that was exposed?

No shock, I knew that the NCAA would find a way to involve themselves.

What I am expressing is disagreement with what they did based on the nature of the case versus others (and no, in no way shape or form am I saying this is not as bad as recruiting violations, just different), and they procedure that they used to do it.

What about the culpability of the local DA's office in this whole mess?? They declined to pursue charges against Sandusky during the original investigation back in 1998...

No shock, I knew that the NCAA would find a way to involve themselves.

What I am expressing is disagreement with what they did based on the nature of the case versus others (and no, in no way shape or form am I saying this is not as bad as recruiting violations, just different), and they procedure that they used to do it.

if you're not shocked then my post doesn't apply to you ;) you don't owe ME any explanations :) . question, have we ever heard or seen anything similar to what happened in penn st occur at another university?

Does this mean that JoePa no longer has the record for most wins? Or will there be an asterisk?
He is no longer the winning est coach in college football, at least as far as the record books are concerned.

Some of you are sounding like many in Happy Valley.

For the 1st time, if ever for me.. I agreed with what was brought down.

Those at the university, both athletic staff and those employeed by the university, thought the schools reputation, especially the football program...was MORE important than the sexual abuse that was going on the school grounds and under supposed the 'watchful eyes' of the supposedly 'caring' staff and officials.

And for those that are complaining about those 'paying for the sins of the past'...you will more than likely NEVER get 'real time' sanctions because the investigations can take years and players and coaches leave.

cosmo_kramer said:
What about the culpability of the local DA's office in this whole mess?? They declined to pursue charges against Sandusky during the original investigation back in 1998...

Agreed. They should bare just as much blame.

has there ever been anything like this before that was exposed?

Probably not. Listen I think Sandusky should go to jail plus with anyone that covered it up including Paterno if he was still alive, I just don't think the NCAA has a right to stick their nose into this.

"This is unique and this kind of power has never been tested or tried," the former chair said. "It's unprecedented to have this extensive power. This has nothing to do with the purpose of the infractions process. Nevertheless, somehow (the NCAA president and executive board) have taken it on themselves to be a commissioner and to penalize a school for improper conduct."

The chair said that the NCAA was dealing with a case that is outside the traditional rules or violations. He said this case does not fall within the basic fundamental purpose of NCAA regulations.

"The purpose of the NCAA is to keep a level playing field among schools and to make sure they use proper methods through scholarships and etcetera," the chair said. "This is not a case that would normally go through the process. It has nothing to do with a level playing field. It has nothing to do with whether Penn State gets advantages over other schools in recruiting or in the number of coaches or things that we normally deal with."

The NCAA, the chair said, had never gotten involved in punishing schools for criminal behavior.

"The criminal courts are perfectly capable of handling these situations," the former chair said. "This is a new phase and a new thing. They are getting into bad behavior that are somehow connected to those who work in the athletic department.

"This is an important precedent. And it should be taken with extreme care."

Penn State Nittany Lions hit with $60 million fine, 4-year bowl ban, wins dating to 1998 - ESPN

Last edited:
the issue CY is that these are uncharted waters for the NCAA. honestly, most were going to think it wasn't enough or that it was too much. either way this will set an example for those universities who have staff members deciding to cover up something disgusting as this or any other crime. as i said before, the one thing i don't agree with is with the removal of those wins.everything else i agree with. but we all knew something was going to and had to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)