ex-Penn State coach Sandusky sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
the issue CY is that these are uncharted waters for the NCAA. honestly, most were going to think it wasn't enough or that it was too much. either way this will set an example for those universities who have staff members deciding to cover up something disgusting as this or any other crime. as i said before, the one thing i don't agree with is with the removal of those wins.everything else i agree with. but we all knew something was going to and had to happen.

The other unusual aspect of the penalties in this case is that this is a rare (if not the only) instance where the NCAA has not based their findings on their own investigation process, but an external one. While the Freeh investigation seems to be very thorough, the NCAA still relied on that alone.

The other unusual aspect of the penalties in this case is that this is a rare (if not the only) instance where the NCAA has not based their findings on their own investigation process, but an external one. While the Freeh investigation seems to be very thorough, the NCAA still relied on that alone.
That is what I was referencing above.

Makes you wonder.

Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett for more than three years — from at least 2008 to 2011 — did little or nothing to protect Sandusky’s young victims.

Centre County District Attorney Michael Madeira got the Sandusky case in 2007. Madeira also did nothing to bring charges for a year until he referred the case in 2008 to Corbett.

The ignored case sat in Corbett’s office until 2011, while Corbett ran for governor, and while he took political contributions from (and later enabled) Sandusky’s Second Mile Charity.

We should mention that Centre County DA Ray Gricar as well refused to prosecute Sandusky in 1998. When DA Gricar vanished mysteriously in 2005, AG Tom Corbett strangely also refused to launch a serious investigation into that troubling development.

Corbett moreoever is a high-ranking and trusted member of the Penn State Board of Trustees. It’s inexcusable that he was excluded from Freeh’s supposedly thorough investigation.

By hermetically sealing the perimeters of his investigation at the doors of Penn State, and refusing to ask the hard questions involving Gov. Corbett and other public officials beyond the gates of Old Main, former Director Freeh, himself a longtime political appointee, has raised more questions than he answers.

Why did Tom Corbett do nothing for three years? Why is Coach Paterno held to a different or higher standard than Governor Corbett?

Corbett | Penn State News and Information

While this does not mean much on the big picture of this. With the students being able to transfer, glad they can if they want. The recruiters are going to be setting up shop ASAP, if anyone watched the 30 for 30"with SMU, when they received the death penalty students were ale to transfer and it was amazing how the campus was just hit so fast. Imagine in today's world of college sports

While this does not mean much on the big picture of this. With the students being able to transfer, glad they can if they want. The recruiters are going to be setting up shop ASAP, if anyone watched the 30 for 30"with SMU, when they received the death penalty students were ale to transfer and it was amazing how the campus was just hit so fast. Imagine in today's world of college sports

I think Pitt will be getting a lot of those players.

Does this mean that JoePa no longer has the record for most wins? Or will there be an asterisk?

Vacated wins for the team doesn't automatically mean they take those wins from the coach. Bowden didn't lose any of his wins after the stuff that happened there.

I also wonder why UVA didn't have sanctions brought on them when Yeardley Love was murdered buy UVA men's lacrosse player George Wesley Huguely V.

Wtf ...how is that even relevant??? I'm sure they covered it up that they knew the guy was going to do it while he was still 4years old..OMG! *rolls eyes* really???

On another note: The removal of wins is pointless IMO but the rest of the sanctions are ok. If I was a player from Soph year and down I would be jumping ship really quick! There is nothing NOTHING for them to look forward to as a player for the team if they can't play beyond last game of year so may as well leave when you can get the same education at other schools and be able to work towards something. Had it been 1 year well maybe hang out but not now.

I don't think anyone would have been upset if they just punished the past and not the future of a school. But instead they did both. Sad

Vacated wins for the team doesn't automatically mean they take those wins from the coach. Bowden didn't lose any of his wins after the stuff that happened there.
According to everything I've read and heard so far it most definitely does. According to Bowden's wikipedia site, he did lose wins; 12 altogether.

I don't think anyone would have been upset if they just punished the past and not the future of a school. But instead they did both. Sad
I disagree. I think the punishment to the school was appropriate. It sends a clear message to other NCAA institutions that football success cannot be used to quash an onerous legal transgression. The penalties imposed on the school were meant to be harsh for that reason.

I'm pleased that current student athletes in the football program will be allowed to transfer without NCAA restrictions, and that they can retain their scholarships at Penn State if they do not wish to transfer. I think it would be even better if all students could transfer to another school, and keep their scholarships as well.

I imagine that many if not most of the students decided to attend Penn State because they believed the institution held higher moral standards than most other schools. That's what Joe Paterno wanted to imply when he stated that he was holding off retirement because "It would leave college football in the hands of the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers". Paterno was the worst offender, because he personally kept Penn State from reporting Sandusky's criminal conduct in order to maintain the image of Penn State.

i just wanted to say that 99% of you have done an excellent job discussing this subject. its a very emotional one yet it has been discussed in a calm and mature manner. thank you guys, i really appreciate that.the rest of the staff appreciates it. i know its not an easy subject to discuss.

I do have to correct myself. I do NOT agree with the removal of wins.

Same here. I agree with everything except the vacated wins, but then again I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Botton line: unspeakable crimes were committed against innocent children, and many of those crimes could have been avoided if SOMEONE came forward and outed Scumdusky.

Thoughts of the penalty delivered today is it worse then the Death Penalty

Asking from a football perspective

From what I have seen they were offered an opportunity to avoid the death penalty, but had to execpt these types of penalties placed on them. They could get removed from the big 10. Penn State should on its own accord shut down the football program for at least 2 to 4 years to help fix the problems at that university. However this penalty is I think worse than the death penalty in it hurts more than just those who were guilty of what occurred at Penn State.
Thoughts of the penalty delivered today is it worse then the Death Penalty

Asking from a football perspective

I wonder how many football players will transfer.
Looks like the NCAA will allow other schools to call or visit current players on the team.
Not sure if this part has been finalized but if a player from Penn St. does transfer even the other school has no scholarship available, they can still take the player as long as they count the scholarship to next years signing class.

The NCAA said they didn't want to give them the death penalty because they didn't want hurt innocent people but in fact what they did is worse. It's going to kill the economy that counts on Football

My one and only comment on this subject. For everybody that is upset and say that the current players at Penn State are the ones being punished, I disagree. The ones that are being punished are the players that will get pushed out of their starting positions or even down on the team to bench warmer at the other schools. The PSU players that are even average will find a fit at a different school and the ones that will be hurt are the players that now wont get a chance at those schools. PSU should be removed from the Big 10 and all of the officials or coaches that covered this up should go through trial and face their punishment as they are just to blame as Sandusky himself.

I don't agree with vacating the previous wins, but the death penalty would have taken them off of tv and shut them down for at least 1 season, now that would have hurt the local community and other universities too. I really don't see how this hurts the community or anyone else. The games are still going to be played every Saturday. If people are really Penn St fans, then they are still going to go to the games and spend money in the community. Obviously their level of play is probably going to drop, but real fans are going to watch good or bad.

Wow what a classy bunch
http://m.deadspin.com/5928385/i-hop...-responses-to-the-ncaas-penn-state-punishment

WARNING: lot's of F bombs, homophobic and racist language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)