Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
Noticed today when checking out my system outside that there is a bit of play in the Von Weiss actuator. Less than 1/10" but enough to be a problem when pointing at satellites close to due south. I took off the back plate and notice the shaft (with the magnet wheel) moves in and out, so the problem is not likely with the ACME nut or screw. Might be a bad thrust bearing inside the gear case. Never noticed this before so maybe something is beginning to fail.

Does any one have an exploded view of the unit? Can't really find anything on the Von Weiss web site that shows what I am looking for unless I want to buy a new actuator. I don't think I need to go that far! Might call them in the new year maybe they can send me some parts. It is still usable so I don't want to take it apart unless I have to until I can fix it.

-C.

Tnx for the links. Didn't see them in my search but expected someone had posted in the past on this site.
I might try making some shims and see if that helps. Will call Von Weiss anyway, last time I talked to them the fellow was very helpful regarding replacing the p/u sensor after I had a major lightning hit. Might order some brushes and a nut for the unit too.
-C.

The big problem with these units is the Acme Nut stripping out. VonWeise won't sell just the Nut. So, I had some made and want to try to sell them somehow. I'm not sure how to go about it. If you need one, contact me.

Yeah, they were available when I rebuilt mine but I used brass instead. Their shipping and handling is killer @ around @ $20 so last time I checked so that makes one nylon nut $40 shipped. But if thats what you got to do then that's probably cheaper than a new actuator that probably isn't anywhere near as good as the Von Weise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts