Exclusive: Superdish a SatelliteGuys First Look!

Hi there,

I have dish 301 receiver and two Dish 500 Antennas. I have been planning for long time to buy HD receiver and order HD programming. Now that Dish is launching Super dish and new HD receivers, what will be my options as an existing customer to see HD programming(I have HD TV), including off the air local HD channels?

Thanks in advance

New HDTV owner, need to decide on service!

I just purchased a Sony HDTV-compatable plasma and need to figure out what service (Direct, Dish, Cable) to go with. Superdish seems to be the way to go as no one else carries a significant number of HDTV channels.

A few questions:

1) When will the SuperDish be available?
2) Will it give me the major networks in HDTV (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, etc.)
2b) If not, will it have an antenna input as the existing HDTV receiver from Dish Network has?
3) Will it come with 50 HDTV channels or just be able to receive up to 50 HDTV channels (which means that assuming there was programming they could offer it, but there isn't any additional programming right now.)
4) Will it offer any sort of PVR/TiVO/etc service?

Thanks for your help.

A new satellite service called Voom also has a lot of HD channels available, more than any provider right now, but that will change as Dish Network adds a lot of HD content to the 105 slot. They plan on adding about 50 HD channels if not more.

(1) The SuperDish will be available in December for those that do not need the SuperDish to receive locals.

(2) -a- Only CBS HD is available if you are eligible for it (same guidelines as receiving the national feeds of the network channels). No plans to add the other network channels in HD at least in the near future. I have read where DirecTv plans on launching HD locals/networks.

(2) -b- The HD receivers (811, 921) will have an input for an outdoor antenna in a card that has an HD tuner in it to receive OTA HD broadcasts.

(3) There will be up to 50 HD channels but we will have to wait for more HD content to become available then for Dish Network and the channels that have HD to come to an agreement on price with a contract before they will be added. A new satellite is going to be launched to 105 next year so this should help things.

(4) The only DVR you will be able to get with Dish Network will be the 921 in which has two tuners but one tv output. The retail price on the 921 will be $999. It will be able to play SD and HD programming and record them to the hard drive.

Dish cannot add 50 HDTV channels. They have filled 105 up with LIL. They at most will be able to support 18 HDTV channels on 105 (they aready have 8, 5 empty transponders for 10 more). This is assuming that they do not add any more LIL. When the replacement for 105 goes up they will probably get more capacity, maybe 27-30 HD channels provided they do not add more LIL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)