Exclusive: Superdish a SatelliteGuys First Look!

the 4-4 is dish pro and will require an adapter. there are no plans to integrate a dp adapter into the 3-4

Fat Tony said:
the 4-4 is dish pro and will require an adapter. there are no plans to integrate a dp adapter into the 3-4

I believe that the DishPro+ 4:4 switch due in 2004 has a built in legacy adapter.

According to the retailer tech chat today, the type 2 dish will only be available for a short time, and will only be available in markets where locals will launch 10-16. The type 1 dish (steel dish) will be the standard dish. The 44 switch has a built-in legacy adaptor and should (yeah right) be available 1Q04

Masts

Mike500 said:
It is made by Channel Master. It has a 2-3/8" outer diameter tube, which is standard nominal 2" pipe. I'd install this one with a ground pole for my own install, preferably aluminum pipe or conduit.

The Type II is an odd one. If I got this one, I run, not walk to the local metal shop to get an 2" actual diameter pole to mount it in the ground, before the installer arrives. I'd at least go with steel, but prefer 1/8" wall aluminum.

I've dug up and moved galvanized steel fence post poles move them several times. These poles rust fast in contact with the concrete. I've also dug up buried alumium conduit that's over 30 years old. The alumium has a very thin layer of discoloration on it. Thirty year old fence posts are almost gone, and galvanized steel pipe has a thick coating of rust on it. Aluminum costs 4-6 times as much as thin fence post and twice as much as galvanized pipe, but it is worth it. I've done a lot of "low ball" installs with the fence post, but never for friends or my own. It's just too temporary.

What is your opinion of the masts sold by texastowers.com?

http://www.texastowers.com/steelmas.htm

Its still expensive for something I can go to my local plumbing supply place or home depot and get for $20. :)

You could get fancy with towers and stuff if you wanted to I guess, but a regular pipe works fine for me. :D

Masts

Scott Greczkowski said:
You could get fancy with towers and stuff if you wanted to I guess, but a regular pipe works fine for me. :D

Do you have the wind load specifications for SuperDish?

Are the DBS NIS recommendations sufficient for SuperDish installations?

If any install used anything that came from texastowers.com that business would either not afford to convert and put in SuperDish's or more than likely, charge you an extra $100-$200 for the install for a pole mount. Installers are going to find the cheapest poles they can find to do these SuperDish installs, because even the cheapest is an additional expense, especially if it were to cost $20. I am pretty sure there are places that you can get it cheaper than $20. I was getting 1 5/8" poles for $5 a pole from places that sell fencing.

Stargazer said:
Installers are going to find the cheapest poles they can find to do these SuperDish installs, because even the cheapest is an additional expense, especially if it were to cost $20.

Agreed. That's why I'd like to have a proper mast installed and waiting for them. As a home owner, I don't want an install that's going to need work in a couple of years.

I guess I should call a antenna shop familiar with the local codes, wind load calculations, and mast load information. I'm sure they'll install it for a fee.

Thanks for helping a self installer with the details.

Seeing how Dish is probably not going to pay the retailers much more for a SuperDish installation compared to a Dish500 upgrade, some installers may not pay much attention to the quality of the poles, in which some may rust in a year or two. I have even seen some of the PrimeStar poles rust, although some were put in a good while back.

Anonymous said:
Stargazer said:
Installers are going to find the cheapest poles they can find to do these SuperDish installs, because even the cheapest is an additional expense, especially if it were to cost $20.

Agreed. That's why I'd like to have a proper mast installed and waiting for them. As a home owner, I don't want an install that's going to need work in a couple of years.

I guess I should call a antenna shop familiar with the local codes, wind load calculations, and mast load information. I'm sure they'll install it for a fee.

Thanks for helping a self installer with the details.

How high up on a pole or tower are you looking to mount your Dish?

Scott,

Can you explain the difference in the height and width of the two Superdish models below?

According to my image program, the first Superdish pictured has a width-to-height ratio of about 1.80:1, while the second has a ratio of roughly 1.50:1. Does that mean one is 24" tall while the other is 20" ?

105superdish.jpg

techguys_437.jpg

John Corn said:
Anonymous said:
How high up on a pole or tower are you looking to mount your Dish?
2" OD 20' mast, 3' sunk in a 12" diameter concrete base, use of one or two wall standoffs for additional support. Unsupported section is expected to be 2' or 9' depending on location chosen (grounding considerations). I may need to go with a shorter mast if I use location two, as 9' unsupported doesn't sound good.

Mast material options: 2" OD 6061-T6 aluminum .5" wall tube, 2" OD 1026 steel .18" wall tube. I think 4130 Chrome Moly is overkill for my application.

Expected load: one SuperDISH, one dbs E* dish, wireless (802.11) access point unidirectional antenna. Possible additions if load permits: OTA (UHF/VHF) antenna, and directional wireless (802.11) antenna.

802.11 Freenetworks

Thanks for offering to help. :)

Superdish with old receivers

I didn't see anything that would cover me. I have 4 model 1000s, 1 4000 and one DVR-510. (I've been a subscriber a long time :D ) I have one Dish500 antenna and one with a single dual LNB. I want to replace one (either the 4000 or a 1000) with a HD811. Am I going to have to scrap all my antennas and switches (2 SW64)?

Dish tech support really gets lost when you go beyond 4 receivers :rolleyes:

Dan

Re: Superdish with old receivers

guest said:
I didn't see anything that would cover me. I have 4 model 1000s, 1 4000 and one DVR-510. (I've been a subscriber a long time :D ) I have one Dish500 antenna and one with a single dual LNB. I want to replace one (either the 4000 or a 1000) with a HD811. Am I going to have to scrap all my antennas and switches (2 SW64)?

Dan

To use the 811 (for HD) you will eventually need superdish, as the HD channels will go there. The SW64 (legacy) won't work with the superdish (DP).

I understood that the superdish install would include a DP34 switch. The DP34 will take 3 inputs and give 4 outputs. Any legacy receivers will need a DP adapter. Legacy receivers have 4 numbers (1000, 4000) DP receivers have 3 numbers (811, 510).

I understand that you can "stack" DP34 swithches, allowing more than 4 outputs, but is is unclear as to whether the additional DP34s will be free.
Larry

Didn't the hardware they were using for 129 degree installations in Philadelphia include the SW64? How does the Superdish technology differ from what they were using in Philadephia?

lapplegate said:
guest said:

Dan

To use the 811 (for HD) you will eventually need superdish, as the HD channels will go there. The SW64 (legacy) won't work with the superdish (DP).

I understood that the superdish install would include a DP34 switch. The DP34 will take 3 inputs and give 4 outputs. Any legacy receivers will need a DP adapter. Legacy receivers have 4 numbers (1000, 4000) DP receivers have 3 numbers (811, 510).

I understand that you can "stack" DP34 swithches, allowing more than 4 outputs, but is is unclear as to whether the additional DP34s will be free.
Larry

Thanks Larry. I don't have a problem with updating to the Superdish, especially if it moves me back to a single antenna. It's a shame to have to swap out the SW64s, and even after adding the new HD receiver I'll still have 4 legacy receivers. Maybe Dish will have some more upgrade offerings when I get ready to do this. ;)

Anonymous said:
Thanks Larry. I don't have a problem with updating to the Superdish, especially if it moves me back to a single antenna. It's a shame to have to swap out the SW64s, and even after adding the new HD receiver I'll still have 4 legacy receivers. Maybe Dish will have some more upgrade offerings when I get ready to do this. ;)

Next year dish will have a DP+44 switch available. It will have 4 inputs & 4 outputs, and a built in DP adapter switch. It will also let you run only 1 cable to a 2 tuner receiver (using a splitter). It may come with superdish installation, if you can wait. I don't know if it it "stackable".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts