Exclusive: Superdish a SatelliteGuys First Look!

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
One of the big buzz words you are going to hear over the next few months is Dish Networks new SuperDish.

What is a SuperDish?

Its a large dish the same size as the old Primestar dish which can receive 3 Satellite locations at the same time. Two of these locations are DBS slots and one is a lower powered KU FSS satellite.

At initial launch there will be two types of SuperDishes and also two different LNB configurations.

One of the Superdish's is a called a type 1 dish, this is a metal dish and from what I see its one of Dish Networks first runs of the SuperDish, the other Dish is a type 2, it is plastic and has some improvements in it to make installation a little bit easier.

When you order a Superdish you will get what they ship, you can not choose a type 1 or type 2 Dish. I myself would like a type 2 Dish.

There are two different LNB configurations which come with the Superdish, you have the International LNB pack for 110, 119 and 121, and you have the HD/Locals pack which picks up 105, 110 & 119.

Each SuperDish comes with a lot of parts and includes a DP 34 switch which can output to 4 TV's. There is a Diagram below which shows you all the parts of a type 2 SuperDish for your enjoyment.

While installing a Superdish does not require a degree in physics, it is still a little difficult to install, I would recommend you take advantage of Dish Networks Free Install offer. :)

I should note that any non Dishpro equipment you have (including the Dish 6000) will need a Dishpro adapter, which will cost extra.

It is recommended that your Superdish be ground mounted do to the weight of the Dish and the mount, however you can mount it to the side of your house, but you must make sure the mount is screwed into a stud.

Also because the mount is larger then a Dish 500 mount you must patch the holes up from the Dish 500 install if you remove your Dish 500.

Again I recommend you get the free pro install for your SuperDish.

There is no real review of the Superdish, it eaither works or it doesn't. :)

Ok now let's get to the good stuff, the pictures! A description of each picture will be posted with each picture.

Hummmm. Doesn't look complicated at all. I wish they would let me install it myself.

I thought the 8PSK module made the 6000 psuedo Dish Pro compatible. How come the Dish Pro adapter is still required? Did the 8PSK make any difference for the 6000 here?

Looks excellent. So they will mirror the international channels to 121? I wonder if they'll give me a superdish if i commit to one year of international and top100. The only reason I want it is first off because I like new things and cause i want to add a receiver but don't want to pay for it extra for a new switch. With the 34 switch, it'd work out great! Hopefully less rainfade as well. My 61.5 dish sucks, it's aimed right at trees and I get 55-60 signal, the 121 slot would solve this as well. Come on Superdish!

Cyclone said:
I thought the 8PSK module made the 6000 psuedo Dish Pro compatible. How come the Dish Pro adapter is still required? Did the 8PSK make any difference for the 6000 here?

And,l if a dish pro adapter is required, how much does it cost?

The 6000 with 8PSK module is psuedo Dishpro compatable, meaning it can support the stacked frequencies or the SuperDish, but it can not support the power of Dishpro.

The cost of the DishPro adapter is around $70 each, there is talk talk going around that one Dishpro adapter may come for those upgrading and have a 6000, but that is not official as of yet.

Hopefully we hear more on the upcoming Tech Chat.

Scott, do you know if you will require 5 lines (ie. 921,721,301) will they supply you with a second DP34 switch? Or are we going to have to buy that ourselves? It kind of sucks that the DP44 and diplexor technology won't be available till spring.

If I have to pay for it, it makes me wonder if it would be worth waiting until this stuff is all available, especially since the HD is mirrored for now on 110.

Here's a question:

I currently have six receivers (One 501, one 721, two 6000, & two 301). I want to put the following scenario as something I might do:

If I have three 522, one 811, one 921 & one 721. How many switches will I need for all of this with a superdish?

Are they going to start including a SuperDish with every system for new customers in the local DMA's (instead of including a Dish 500 in which will be wasted because the majority of the customers will want the local channels) or are they going to charge every new customer extra for the SuperDish that wants one even if they are a new customer wanting locals?

Also are they going to include SuperDish in the Dish Mover's program where you live your old dish behind (SuperDish) and you get a new SuperDish for free including installation when you move to your new home?

I think its great news that they are going to have capability to output to four receivers with every SuperDish.

I have a Dish 2800, which will require a Dish Pro Adapter for $70. The price of a Dish Pro compatible Dish 301 is $99. I think I will upgrade to a Dish 301 for $29.

I believe that I have compatible "mounting feet" for both of these dishes.

I agree with Scott, that the Type II is the better of the two. It is made by Channel Master. It has a 2-3/8" outer diameter tube, which is standard nominal 2" pipe. This is easily available as Rigid conduit, water pipe and as chain link fence end posts. This is the same mount used by Primestar, Starband, DirecPC and DirecWay. There are two mount versions. The wall mount has outer mounting hole spacing of 5" wide x 8" tall. The smaller roof mounting foot will have two braces. I'd install this one with a ground pole for my own install, preferably aluminum pipe or conduit.

The Type II is an odd one. It was used by the Racing (horse) Network and mde by some company in Ohio or Indiana. I installed a couple of them a few years back. The outer diameter of the tube is an actual 2". Nominal 1-1/2" pipe is on the small side and 2" nominal pipe is too large. The metal is quite a bit thinner than the other foot. The hole spacing on the mounting foot is quite large at 8" wide and 11" high. If I got this one, I run, not walk to the local metal shop to get an 2" actual diameter pole to mount it in the ground, before the installer arrives. I'd at least go with steel, but prefer 1/8" wall aluminum.

I've dug up and moved galvanized steel fence post poles move them several times. These poles rust fast in contact with the concrete. I've also dug up buried alumium conduit that's over 30 years old. The alumium has a very thin layer of discoloration on it. Thirty year old fence posts are almost gone, and galvanized steel pipe has a thick coating of rust on it. Aluminum costs 4-6 times as much as thin fence post and twice as much as galvanized pipe, but it is worth it. I've done a lot of "low ball" installs with the fence post, but never for friends or my own. It's just too temporary.

I have heard of some customers getting a 301 directly from Dish for $50 or you can buy a good used 301 for the same price or less than that dishpro adapter and on top of that you can sell your nondishpro receiver and probably make up for a lot of the cost of the 301.

Dishplayer and Superdish

What about setup for 7200 and 301? Would you need the DishPro adapter or should I think about getting the new Dishplayer?

I realize this is the first-generation of the Superdish, but in the future, I hope they will use a hollow feed arm so the cables can be hidden, rather than attached beneath it.

Ken_F said:
I realize this is the first-generation of the Superdish, but in the future, I hope they will use a hollow feed arm so the cables can be hidden, rather than attached beneath it.

Ken, thats a good idea, People do not like to look at the coax. :D

The arm of the SuperDish II is a general Channel Master component, like it was for Primestar and DirecPC, DirecDuo and DirecWay. There is no provision due to it's small cross section for placing the cables inside the tube.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts