Exede

Rorshach85

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Gotham City
Okay I live in the middle of nowhere and am very limited with Internet providers. Basically satellite is my only choice. I went with wildblue (exede) and had it installed a couple weeks ago. Their data caps are pretty low and I know that after you exceed your data limit they throttle your connection speed. Normally I get pretty good speeds but I've managed to avoid going over my limit. Can anyone tell me how slow they throttle it after you reach the limit? I read on their website it's 128 Kbps when you get throttled but how slow is that exactly?

Okay I live in the middle of nowhere and am very limited with Internet providers. Basically satellite is my only choice. I went with wildblue (exede) and had it installed a couple weeks ago. Their data caps are pretty low and I know that after you exceed your data limit they throttle your connection speed. Normally I get pretty good speeds but I've managed to avoid going over my limit. Can anyone tell me how slow they throttle it after you reach the limit? I read on their website it's 128 Kbps when you get throttled but how slow is that exactly?

That's better than twice as fast as good dial-up, if you're lucky.

So would I notice a significant difference in my general browsing? I know that it wouldn't be very good for downloading things and whatnot but how would it fare for general browsing, checking email and so forth?

Yes, you would notice a huge difference. But it would still be useable. How pages load will vary, depending on the content on the page. Using Firefox with noscript and flashblock addons would help by disabling flash content from loading unless you tell it to. Emails are generally small, sour you use an email client such as outlook, Thunderbird, ect. It would help with that aspect vs having to load multiple web pages to check mail.

Rorshach85 said:
So how does anybody manage with satellite Internet without constantly going over your data cap?

You don't live on the internet. You don't download large files or a bunch of small ones. Stay away from YouTube. Turn off auto updates. Ect.

Their legal notice regarding the DAP doesn't specify how slow either. It's here. With the black modem - once DAP'd - you'll continue at that reduced rate for the rest of the subscription month. It resets on the 1st day of each billing period. But unlike with the blue modem, you have the option of buying your speed back at a cost of $10/GB I believe. And they're not done yet; at this point they turn on the use it or lose it clause. Any data that you've purchased - but not yet used - disappears on reset day.

//greg//

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)