Expressvu 9200 In The Flesh!!!

DCXFORDGM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Wow, hard to get, very hard to activate but worth the price and wait. I will be posting more pic's soon, different menu options. Current software is V140MBHD-N. It took over 45mins to activate with Bell, very very complicated compared to my 6100 set up. The unit comes with a SW44 switch and a 51cm dish, my set up is two SW21 switches with two RG-6 cables coming off Nimiq 91 and 82. You can't go wrong with this unit, it is awsome and you have 27 HDTV channels to play with and record and more on the way!!! Oh and yes the guide fits 16:9 Tv's!!

Beware Broadband Pictures!

Attachments

• DSC01472.JPG
    DSC01472.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 594
  • DSC01473.JPG
    DSC01473.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC01474.JPG
    DSC01474.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC01475.JPG
    DSC01475.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 817
  • DSC01476.JPG
    DSC01476.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 967
  • DSC01477.JPG
    DSC01477.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 957
  • DSC01478.JPG
    DSC01478.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 797
  • DSC01479.JPG
    DSC01479.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 834
Did you get this at a Bell store, or other retailer? My brother in TO is trying to locate one for me possibly.

Also, what was the reason for a 45 minute activation?

I picked it up at bell world in markham on woodbine<brand new store, just opened, alot of reps there. I was #1 on the list for over 3 weeks and when they came in only 9220'2 and I am a existing sub, they sold it to me anyway. The reason for the 45mins is that the 9200 takes about 20-25mins alone to download the software and the check switch is 5mins and then it re-programs the reciever and that takes another 5-10 mins then talking to the tech, it is a very nice machine. I might ad very quiet when fan is on.

Help with installation

I have been trying to install our new 9200 for 3 hours, now after being on the phone with bell forever, they said i need another cable into the house.
I had one lbn outside , now i guess i need 2 cables to house? so i need to drill into house and run another cable?? you say it was easy, but how?
any advice? it seems like it's going to cost way more and i wish we would have had it installed but i thought it would be easy since i had a previous pvr!

Hi

You need the 20inch<51cm> Dish, it comes in the 9220, which has two LNB's. You then have two options, bell has a bracket that installs on the back of the dish and will house two SW-21 switchs which in turn will have two RG-6 cables running into each switch from 91 and 82,then another two for the second SW-21. Then run two cables from those SW-21 switches to tuner 1 and tuner 2 on the 9200 and your done or you can go with the supplied SW44 but if you mount this switch in the house it means a messy install same amount of cables but longer or mount it outside on the wall near the dish<that switch is pain if you ask me>. Now finding a SW-21 switch from bell is almost impossible<included in 6120kit> I would suggest this set-up because it is clean and inexpensive , try a local satellite shop to find them, they sell for about 25.00Cdn. I hope this helps you out, I will post a set-up picture of mine to show you and others.

Attachments

• SW21.jpg
    SW21.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 640
bierstore said:
...now i guess i need 2 cables to house? so i need to drill into house and run another cable?? you say it was easy, but how?
any advice? it seems like it's going to cost way more and i wish we would have had it installed but i thought it would be easy since i had a previous pvr!
simple answer. Go DishProPlus. Use a DishPro lnb(s), along with a DPP-44 switch and DPP seperator.
The DPP-44 & DPP seperator combination allows one line to dual tuner recievers (Dish 522, 721, 942 and Expressvu 5200, 9200).
The DishPro Lnbf's are required when using the DPP-44 switch.

another Q

If we do use sw44 switch, and mount it to the outside wall, and go through all that since we have it started, what is the diff between single mode and dual mode?? We want to watch on one tv/one receiver and confused why it says both modes? In the manual , it says for one receiver, you need one sw21 switch, so don't we only need one cable for each degree angle or do we still need 2 cables per lnb. thanks so much

bierstore said:
If we do use sw44 switch, and mount it to the outside wall, and go through all that since we have it started, what is the diff between single mode and dual mode?? We want to watch on one tv/one receiver and confused why it says both modes? In the manual , it says for one receiver, you need one sw21 switch, so don't we only need one cable for each degree angle or do we still need 2 cables per lnb. thanks so much
You will still need just 2 cables into the receiver.
Single mode will allow you to have Picture-in-Picture on one television.
Dual mode will allow you to use 2 different TVs to watch 2 different shows. That's why you have the 2 remotes, TV1 and TV2, if it is like the 5220. I read on KUsat the the 9200 is only a single user machine, but why would it come with 2 remotes, if it were a single user receiver?

got it!

The Y adapter for the lnb things didn't fit our satellite arm so we had to reinstall the new dish, realign it and run the wiring, i understand the need for 2 cables now, thanks!!
The system is so awesome especially since we've had the 5100 so long since we've been waiting for the HDPVR to come out forever. :)

Picked up mine from a Bell world in BC this afternoon, plugged it in, downloaded software and got it activated, so far so good. Thankfully I was already using a DishPro setup so I just connected a pair of cables and was good to go, now to sell the SW44 it came with...

I have to say this has to be the first time Bell isn't hosing customers on the price of the receiver, the 9200 is actually cheaper then the 942.

DCXFORDGM said:
Hi

You need the 20inch<51cm> Dish, it comes in the 9220, which has two LNB's. You then have two options, bell has a bracket that installs on the back of the dish and will house two SW-21 switchs which in turn will have two RG-6 cables running into each switch from 91 and 82,then another two for the second SW-21. Then run two cables from those SW-21 switches to tuner 1 and tuner 2 on the 9200 and your done or you can go with the supplied SW44 but if you mount this switch in the house it means a messy install same amount of cables but longer or mount it outside on the wall near the dish<that switch is pain if you ask me>. Now finding a SW-21 switch from bell is almost impossible<included in 6120kit> I would suggest this set-up because it is clean and inexpensive , try a local satellite shop to find them, they sell for about 25.00Cdn. I hope this helps you out, I will post a set-up picture of mine to show you and others.

Hi

I currently have an Expressvu 6000 Receiver and dish. A sales rep from a Bell Store told me that all I need to do is just connect the single cable currently connected to my 6000 to the new 9200 receiver. I suspect he is wrong. But I don't look forward to having to fiddle around with the dish currently connected to the 6000. Will I be able to connecting to the new receiver by running the current cable into a splitter and then into the two inputs of the 9200?

alstein said:
Hi

I currently have an Expressvu 6000 Receiver and dish. A sales rep from a Bell Store told me that all I need to do is just connect the single cable currently connected to my 6000 to the new 9200 receiver. I suspect he is wrong. But I don't look forward to having to fiddle around with the dish currently connected to the 6000. Will I be able to connecting to the new receiver by running the current cable into a splitter and then into the two inputs of the 9200?

Surprise, he is wrong. :no As mentioned in the previous posts, if you want to mantain one wire entering your home, the only way to do it is with a Dishpro Plus LNB, or a Dishpro LNB and a Dishpro plus 44 switch. Of course, you still need the seperator as well in both scenarios.

Software was updated to V141 today. The "inactivity standby" menu (which didn't work) is now greyed out. I haven't seen any other changes yet...

miguelaqui said:
You will still need just 2 cables into the receiver.
Single mode will allow you to have Picture-in-Picture on one television.
Dual mode will allow you to use 2 different TVs to watch 2 different shows. That's why you have the 2 remotes, TV1 and TV2, if it is like the 5220. I read on KUsat the the 9200 is only a single user machine, but why would it come with 2 remotes, if it were a single user receiver?

HI
To use PIP, do I need to connect my HD TV to the second TV composite video output on the receiver, or will this feature work with just the single connection from HDTV to the receiver.

Thanks
Aron

expressvu 9200

I have purchased the 9200 and have hooked it up to one tv. I have three other satellite receivers hooked up elsewhere in the house. I had trouble activating the receiver and after some lengthly discussion with Expressvu they informed me that I had to have feeds into both LNBs on the 9200. My house was already pre-wired and I only had one feed to that area. I ended up buying a splitter/decoupler from Bell and it is now working. There is only one problem. I keep getting message that to check my switchbox connection (sw44). If I do that everything checks out ok. Also I can just hit cancel and my programming returns. My question is why does that message continue to pop up when I change channels even though my switchbox is working correctly? It is creating problems when I am trying to set timers and they are not recording.

Any help would be appreciated.

the 9200 unit is Dish Pro Plus capable, therefore the single line solution can apply, as discussed earlier, which consists of a Dish Pro Plus LNBF twin with 20" collector a dish pro plus separator connected to both satellite leds on the receiver. Now, since I live in Northern California a 20" dish might not work too well because of Nimiq 3 and its tight spot to the north. But I am willing to wire my leds separately and utilize legacy lnbfs and switches to accomplish MY setup. If you live in an area where there isn't too much of a problem getting Nimiq3, then Dish Pro Plus is your single line solution.

The one thing I'll add to what you said, techdood, is that if you are in the western parts of North America, sometimes going with 2 dishes gives you a much better signal.

Keep in mind the "2 satellites 9 degress apart" is a Dish Network idea, and Dish didn't use a crippled spacecraft for either of those satellites. Unlike Bell; who we all know is using Nimiq 2 (82) which is running on limited power.

You can still use a DPP solution to take advantage of 1 wire, but you would need to use 2 dishes with DPP LNB's, and then a DPP44 switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)