external hard drive + 722k on "non dish tv" ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

msr0459

Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Inman, SC
Hello,

I currently am a Dish customer, and use the 722k dvr receiver. I recently saved a lot of media onto an external hard drive.

I have a ton of music concerts that a friend of mine would like to view. Does anyone know if it would be possible for him to view this content, if he purchased the same Dish 722k off of ebay, and then simply plugged in my external drive to the 722k, and the 722k to his TV?

I've asked a couple of Dish tech support folks, and gotten mixed opinions. The first one said that it would work fine. The second one said that it would require the other receiver be "activated" by Dish, as if he was subscribing,.. then, after viewing, he could simply cancel his subscription. I failed to ask the first guy.

Seems like a pain to me. I also believe I read on line somewhere that there would only be a "one time" activation fee,.. although the second tech support person didn't think that would be the case.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Is there any other way to view this external hard drive content on a "non Dish" tv besides purchasing a blu ray recorder/player, and putting it in line and recording in "real time",.... geez, another pain and a LOT of dvr's! lol

Thanks for any input,
Marc

EHD control is tied to accounts, not specific receivers. Even if he activated the receiver with Dish, his would be a totally different account. So, no.

Well, crap,... you'd think 2 different Dish techs would have told me that.

I thought the only issue would be that the ehd content would be encrypted, and that it would play back fine as long as it was being played through the same model receiver,...no? Not discrediting what you said, just trying to understand.

Marc

What KAB has told you is correct. The EHD is married to the account. Say you changed out your 722 for a Hopper. You can move the EHD from one to the other and it will work fine. You can't move the EHD to a receiver on another account and have it work. The EHDs are authorized by account only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)