External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

EHD freezing

I am now having the freeze problems after many months of flawless performance. I have a WD My book 750 and a 622. Unplugging only allows it to work again and then freeze. What can I do. Call Dish? Any way to save my files?

This is a big mess

I am now having the freeze problems after many months of flawless performance. I have a WD My book 750 and a 622. Unplugging only allows it to work again and then freeze. What can I do. Call Dish? Any way to save my files?

This is a big mess

I was able to save most (but not all) of my recordings by moving them one at a time from the EHD back to the receiver. Oftentimes this took several attempts and "reboot dances" to move a single file, failing with an 855 error at various points. Calls and chats to Dish were, shall we say, less than enlightening. I'll save you the call: "We can fix that--reboot the receiver! You've done that? Let me transfer you to a higher level of technician. If the recordings play from your receiver before transferring them, it's obviously a hard drive error. Buy a new hard drive. This is the third hard drive you've purchased? From three different manufacturers? No, we can't tell you which drives will work. Send us some data and we'll forward it to 'Engineering.' Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

I had Dish reverse the charges for the enabling fee and gave up. I'll revisit the feature if the next software release generates positive reports.

EHD freezing

I did talk to Dish and told them I know others are having this problem. Once I said that they admitted to a problem. I have run across this before on another issue. On the 622 I have an OTA antenna installed for local HD channels.It worked well for many months and then all of a sudden it started having issues. Long story short.Dish had a problem and did not admit it for a while (because they had no solution). After several months the probelm resolved itself with, I am sure, a software change that corrected the problem they created in the 1st place. I believe this will be the same issue. Dish has a problem, they are very reluctant to admit it, and will eventually fix it some day in the future. In the mean time, all my movies are inaccessible. Do they offer any compensation for, as they say,this valuable customer. Heck no.

Does anyone know if the "My book" 1TB (WDH1U10000N model) works with the 722? So far I've been using a 500 my book.

Called Dish. They said it was a known problem and .... hell they told me that they'd write it up and call back for updates.

Limit of 3 moves, a change overnight?

I thought that you could have any number of drives (I have 3 750 My Books) on a receiver and switch between them at will. I have been doing this for months.

Now I get a 788 message:
"The attached external USB device is currently configured for another DISH Network receiver. External DVR archive devices may only be used with one receiver at a time.

"Would you like to update the USB Storage device to allow this DISH Network receiver access to its contents? (Yes) (Cancel) (No)"

This means I would use up 1 of my 3 receiver moves--but I am using the same receiver--it was just powered off overnight.

The Tech CSR says that ANY 3 changes will force a reformat--DISASTER. The time to copy a full 750 to another, which I don't have available, would be close to 100 hours, if I could even do it as I would be switching drives since the internal cannot hold the full load of one. (You need to clear the drive if you do not want to have it erased, IIRC.)

It worked last night, but now it asks on each drive--tried a second.

I accepted one but want some input before I mess with another.
-Ken

BTW this 2.1 TB collection cost less than my first 200 MB external 15 years ago and 10000 times the storage.

I received the same message this afternoon when I turned my EHD too. It didn't do it last night. Anyone know what the deal is with that, and will it cause the 3-count to increment? It's attached to the same 622 it's always been attached to...never moved it...no point, since I only have 1 receiver that'll handle an external drive.

Which would work better? I have a WD MyBook 750GB and a Lacie 750GB drive. The Lacie is a Seagate mechanism, and I have read that there are issues with those. Am I better off using the WD drive?

Ted

I also received the "another receiver" message.
Checked my software - I'm running 449.
I don't believe there's been an update in awhile.

We now know 3 have gotten the message. Now to convince Dish there is a problem. I called this afternoon and got that off-putting of that's the way it is although it was not that way for the last 6 months. Help me wake up their technical department.

I guess I'm going to have to accept another debit from my 3 as I'm getting too full. At least it still accepts the one I said Yes to. How long can I hold out before saying Yes to the others?

BTW, I also complained that I have not got my refund from July. The verification site went through the not acceptable, acceptable, processing forever, check mailed. CS says they don't mail check, they give credit. I never got a credit--I think I could detect $100 change in the bill.
-Ken

PS only the drive was off, which I do every day. -K

Which would work better? I have a WD MyBook 750GB and a Lacie 750GB drive. The Lacie is a Seagate mechanism, and I have read that there are issues with those. Am I better off using the WD drive?

Ted
Either should be fine. The Seagate issue is with the circuitry in their Free Agent pre-builds, not the HD itself.

We now know 3 have gotten the message. Now to convince Dish there is a problem. I called this afternoon and got that off-putting of that's the way it is although it was not that way for the last 6 months. Help me wake up their technical department.

I guess I'm going to have to accept another debit from my 3 as I'm getting too full. At least it still accepts the one I said Yes to. How long can I hold out before saying Yes to the others?
-K

Make that 4. I got the same message this morning. I've had multiple harddrives since Sept 07.

Maybe it's not a problem at all....

I tried the box that had been "moved" on my other PVR (622 to 722), and it worked without reactivating.

It looks like Dish may have enabled the "per account" feature.

Maybe it's not a problem at all....

I tried the box that had been "moved" on my other PVR (622 to 722), and it worked without reactivating.

It looks like Dish may have enabled the "per account" feature.

I would expect that is would work. However, you are only allowed to move the harddrive from one receiver to another 3 times. That includes if you have 2 receivers (I'd be careful if I were you), and it includes replacement receivers.

I call Dish tech support and mentioned that multiple people have seen this problem since yesterday. The support person looked up existing HD issues and noted that the Tech department is aware of the problem since yesterday and they will be looking into why. Currently they do not know why this issue is occurring. I was told that I could call back sometime in the future to see what the resolution was.

I did tell my tech support person that I did not want to 'lose' 1 harddriver move based on this Dish receiver malfunction. I encourage anyone else with this problem to contact dish network and say the same in order to increase pressure on Dish to make this happen.

I noticed that in my "counters" the household key actually has a code now instead of all zeros. This is on my 622, I will check my 722 that the HD is connected, but first I have to get my son ready and take him to school.

But I didn't have to reactivate when I moved it between my two boxes (I assume this didn't update the counter).

Perhaps dish reset all the 622 on an account so they use the same (new) external HDD code. That's why both my boxes required HDD reactivation. But, now I can move the drives between boxes.

I noticed that in my "counters" the household key actually has a code now instead of all zeros. This is on my 622, I will check my 722 that the HD is connected, but first I have to get my son ready and take him to school.

Very interesting. I'm impressed that you check the counters that often (I didn't realize the "household key" was there).

Maybe the support for the hosehold key was always part of 449, but the centeral system has just been updated to support it.

Very interesting. I'm impressed that you check the counters that often (I didn't realize the "household key" was there).

Maybe the support for the hosehold key was always part of 449, but the centeral system has just been updated to support it.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it was listed just a week or two ago, and both receivers were on 449 the last time I checked.

Either should be fine. The Seagate issue is with the circuitry in their Free Agent pre-builds, not the HD itself.

Cool, thanks. I'll try the Lacie since it looks nicer and has a power switch, so I can turn it off when I am not using it.

Ted

Multiple Hoppers and timers

OTA module troubles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)