External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
If your Neil Poulton has a Samsung drive like my La Cie Porshe does it will work fine, I had one little problem, I didn't push the power cable in hard enough to the back of the drive, once I got that right all was good. If you plug the drive into your PC before using it with your 722, you will see what brand and model of hard drive it is.

David_Levin

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
Denver, Co
If your Neil Poulton has a Samsung drive like my La Cie Porshe does it will work fine

I thnk the USB interface chip is much more critical to the performance of the box then the drive type. Any 7200 rpm drive can easily keep up with usb 2.0 speeds.

I had a prepackaged external drive that was not working. Got it going by popping it into a different enclosure.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
I'm now at 3 WD 750 drives. #1 IMDB 8.1 or higher, #2 IMDB movies lower, #3 specials and series. They work well but I'm not sure the transfer rate is the best possible. The initial estimate of time gets raised 10 to 50% in a few minutes after it gets a sample of the rate--it does not remember the factor.

It sure is easier to store SD and MPEG-4 than MPEG-2 or OTA because there are less bytes. Say about 1:3:5:6.
It would be nice:
if the showed the space on both drives and not just the external,
if you got the full header on the external so you could check the date, etc.,
if you could remain at the same place on the list when you issue done or cancel,
if we had folders,
if we had an episode or initial show date sort option, and so on.
(The last for series like Arrested Dev., Northern Exposure, or Futurama.)
-Ken

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
Early this year E* promised an updated that was to fix the need to disable sleep mode on Seagate FreeAgent drives. Has anyone tested 4.49 for this? I looked over the last months replies and I don't see any direct answers to that question. Mine (PRO 750) works fine with sleep mode disabled but always is warm/hot even when not transferring, I know I could turn it off or unplug it but it is not easily accessible and I would rather be able to enable sleep mode.

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
Ok. Add me to the list of those with External Hard Drive problems. I just found out recently that I can not view any of my recordings on the EHD for more than about 2 ~ 5 minutes. I play a recording and a few minutes into the recording, I will notice hiccup, a slight hesitation. Within about 30 seconds my recording will cease playing. If I try to play it, or any other program on my external hard drive, they will not play and will just return me to the menu as if I had hit stop, or the program had ended.

If I power cycle the My Book hard drive, or the 622, I can then play the recording again. But again with in about 5 minutes, it will lock up. This behavior is consistent. I know that if I call dish I will just get the "power cycle" dance, and that the best their support could end up doing to me would be to swap out the 622 receiver which I am not convienced hardware wise is the problem.

Any others seen this?

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Ok. Add me to the list of those with External Hard Drive problems. I just found out recently that I can not view any of my recordings on the EHD for more than about 2 ~ 5 minutes. I play a recording and a few minutes into the recording, I will notice hiccup, a slight hesitation. Within about 30 seconds my recording will cease playing. If I try to play it, or any other program on my external hard drive, they will not play and will just return me to the menu as if I had hit stop, or the program had ended.

If I power cycle the My Book hard drive, or the 622, I can then play the recording again. But again with in about 5 minutes, it will lock up. This behavior is consistent. I know that if I call dish I will just get the "power cycle" dance, and that the best their support could end up doing to me would be to swap out the 622 receiver which I am not convienced hardware wise is the problem.

Any others seen this?

Yep, that was my problem with my EHD and a 622 receiver. The hard drive is a Seagate (250 GB) but the enclosure is one of those no names enclosures. I had to upgrade the EHD to a WD My Book 500 GB and haven't seen the problem again. I've read that they also broke some WD EHD with the last update but haven't had any problems with my two WD EHDs,..............yet.

RickV

Mar 31, 2008
My Book

My Book Freezes - I have the same problem with a 1 TB My Book (Costco)

Any others seen this?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Dish replaced my 622 when I called in and described the freezing after a few minutes on EHD playback problem. It is working fine now. Apparently some hardware is "broken" by the latest software upgrade, i.e. a previously existing defect is discovered by something the new software is trying to do.

both the old and "new" units were the RBDD revision but the bootstraps were different, 1710 (old) and 1714 (new).

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2005
Early this year E* promised an updated that was to fix the need to disable sleep mode on Seagate FreeAgent drives. Has anyone tested 4.49 for this?

I have 4.49 and a Seagate FreeAgent (not Pro) drive and 4.49 did NOT make a difference. I still unplug the USB from the 622 and plug it back in each time I want to access the content on my HDD.

swade

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 30, 2005
Same problem with Seagate 750 ever since the upgrade

If I power cycle the My Book hard drive, or the 622, I can then play the recording again. But again with in about 5 minutes, it will lock up. This behavior is consistent. I know that if I call dish I will just get the "power cycle" dance, and that the best their support could end up doing to me would be to swap out the 622 receiver which I am not convinced hardware wise is the problem.

Any others seen this?

:eureka
Ever since the upgrade my seagate 750 G EHD works erratically. Once in a while I can get one show copied to it and often watching payback is cut short. Before the upgrade it worked great. Suppose to have 160G left. I also notice it heats up if I try recording to it.

I have 4 500 G drives Seagate 7 they work fine.

My ?My Book 500K has never worked right. I have to completely reboot the 622 and then wait about 20 minutes before is recognizes it.

What I don't understand is why some work great and others don't

Is there a way to disable the sleep feature on a seagate drive?
:confused:

paulamoody

Jul 17, 2007
NJ
Dish replaced my 622 when I called in and described the freezing after a few minutes on EHD playback problem. It is working fine now. Apparently some hardware is "broken" by the latest software upgrade, i.e. a previously existing defect is discovered by something the new software is trying to do.

both the old and "new" units were the RBDD revision but the bootstraps were different, 1710 (old) and 1714 (new).

Finally something actionable. My 622 is at 1711 so I will be on the phone today. It would be interesting to see what the firmware version for others with problems is.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
New problem tonight. About to copy "John Adams" #4 to a My Book 750. Found it had 2 copies of #3 of exactly the same size. So I deleted one and when I went back there were none. First instance that I have seen of a phantom or dual entry file, I guess. So just a warning. Fortunately, it is showing again on HBO this week so I can recapture it. Someday I'll get to see it along with a couple of hundred hours of other programs.
-Ken

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Bootstrap is the FW.

Finally something actionable. My 622 is at 1711 so I will be on the phone today. It would be interesting to see what the firmware version for others with problems is.
Bootstrap is just small part of receiver's firmware, used at boot time and have own ID; it changing on very rare occasion and include recognition of different HW build defined by HW ID like that RBDD letters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts