External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

After they "Hit" your receivers where you able to remate the HDD and watch the previously saved events (or did you have to reformat)?

I believe I already answered that. I selected yes on the 788 message which resets yor EHD to that 622. It does not reformat and clear all your stored programs. The 2 622s can now play all EHD programs.

I believe I already answered that. I selected yes on the 788 message which resets yor EHD to that 622. It does not reformat and clear all your stored programs. The 2 622s can now play all EHD programs.

Ok Cool - So many people are commenting I just wanted to make sure I have everyone straight.

So, that means Dish can bring back an external HDD after a user gets the 866 "reformat" error ?

He just needs to call in and ask for all boxes to be rehit (and keep an eye on the "Household Code" during the process).

Ok Cool - So many people are commenting I just wanted to make sure I have everyone straight.

So, that means Dish can bring back an external HDD after a user gets the 866 "reformat" error ?

He just needs to call in and ask for all boxes to be rehit (and keep an eye on the "Household Code" during the process).

No, the 788 and 866 messages are totally different. 866 is asking to reformat, 788 is simply asking to mate the drive to the receiver. No one was been able to get a drive to work with the 866 error.

Asked for a rehit again, because I couldn't remember if the EHD was activated before.

It didn't change the 866, but I got a new household key number.

Thanks, what what I was trying to ask (and expected). I was trying to verify if odbrv was getting the 866 message before the rehit then recovered.

Any progress on this issue? I now have three full hard drives slaved to one of my receivers and none to the other. I am about to have a spare 500 gig external that I guess I will have to use on my 'broken' receiver but I would like to see this issue resolved so that I can move the drives around. It will be a nice feature when and if they fully and correctly implement it. It's too bad you can't get on the phone with a tech that knows something because I would sacrifice some time and use my new 500 gig drive to help them troubleshoot.

Any progress on this issue? I now have three full hard drives slaved to one of my receivers and none to the other. I am about to have a spare 500 gig external that I guess I will have to use on my 'broken' receiver but I would like to see this issue resolved so that I can move the drives around. It will be a nice feature when and if they fully and correctly implement it. It's too bad you can't get on the phone with a tech that knows something because I would sacrifice some time and use my new 500 gig drive to help them troubleshoot.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat. And I incorrectly called my 866 788 in one of the previous messages. My principal problem is the reformat message one one problem DVR.

I'd love to speak to an engineer or senior tech and help them troubleshoot the problem. I'm a mechanical engineer for a huge company that sells consumer technology devices so I understand how far removed phone agents can be from actual engineers and decision makers. The call agents likely work for a subcontractor to DISH.

Yesterday I took one EHD I have been using on my 622 and hooked it up to my 612. I got the message that the drive would need to be reformated. I checked the key # on the 622 & the 612 and they were the same. Today after reading Scotts chat info that the household key should be good to go I again took the EHD to the 612. Worked find with no errors.

Can you point me to "Scott's chat info"? I don't know what that means. Sorry, I'm not a regular on this forum, I just come when DISH has such a major screw-up that my system doesn't work adequately.

Thanks Ditydan, I found the chat.

Hutch123, if I understand correctly, you didn't do anything to make the HD start cooperating again. Scott's chat was just impetus to get you to check again if it worked, correct?

Mine still didn't work last night.

My household keys were originally different and I haven't checked them again in the last couple of days.

Hopefully call agents will at least now acknowledge that the hard drive is supposed to be swappable.

I have a 622 and a 612 and the key #'s are not the same on the last two digits. one is 02 and the other is 04. I just moved the drive and it worked correctly, I was able to move programs from a drive to the receiver and then move them to the other drive so the numbers don't have to be exactly the same.

I have a 622 and a 612 and the key #'s are not the same on the last two digits. one is 02 and the other is 04. I just moved the drive and it worked correctly, I was able to move programs from a drive to the receiver and then move them to the other drive so the numbers don't have to be exactly the same.
Before that conclusion I would try do that more then 3 or 5 times.

Thanks Ditydan, I found the chat.

Hutch123, if I understand correctly, you didn't do anything to make the HD start cooperating again. Scott's chat was just impetus to get you to check again if it worked, correct?

Mine still didn't work last night.

My household keys were originally different and I haven't checked them again in the last couple of days.

Hopefully call agents will at least now acknowledge that the hard drive is supposed to be swappable.

No I did not do anything to make it work. I have noticed a little problem. I have the EHD plugged into the front USB port and unplug when I am finished watching. When I first plug it into the USB port I get the error to reformat. Unplug and then plug back in and it is good to go. It appears that if it is not plugged in during the nightly reboot I am getting that error. It is plugged up now as I watched somthing earlier. I went just now unplugged and plugged back up and got no error. Am I making sense? If you get the reformat error, cancel it, unplug and plug back in and maybe it will work for you.

I tried mine just for fun last night and for more fun I made a phone call (to India) to see what the latest buzz was. The buzz was still the same but the lady also told me that my problems might be due to inclement weather! ! !

She also told me that I have to format my drive and that I can't transfer it ever or I have to go through the same thing... actually she was technically correct as to my current situation but not correct at all as to the current functionality of these receivers.

Come on Dish!

David (and others) - Okay, I bit the bullet, put aside the WD MyBook 750 and assembled a new 500 GB external and put it on the 622 and it works fine. I'll deal with the possibility of recovering the data from the WD MyBook later or else just reformat the drive and re-use it. Hey, it's just TV ;)

BTW, David, I support your hypothesis that the file structure on the MyBook got corrupted in some way due to a lack of redundancy and a method in the code for rebuilding file tables. I do hope Dish makes this more robust in the future. Loosing over 400 GB of archived material is definitely a learning experience.

.....G

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts