External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Well I got the 866 error last night. I have a 622 in the bedroom and one in the living room. I have been moving a 500G Maxtor between the 2 receivers for about a month now.

Last night I was watching a movie in the living room that was archived to the EHD. I decided to finish up in the bedroom and moved the EHD. When I tried to access the EHD on the 622 in the bedroom, I received the 866 message. I called tech support but the Indian woman kept telling me to reformat the drive. She even tried to make me pay the $40 activation again. I hung up in disgust.

Any help here? I can still access the EHD on the 622 in the living room, so there is obviously nothing wrong with the EHD.

The household code listed under diagnostics is all zeros on both receivers??

Have they always been all zero? You probably don't know (that's why I suggested when all this started everyone might want to write down thier house code).

You could request a rehit and see is a household code shows up. But, there is a possibility you could lose access to your programs on both 622's.

Is the external hard drive still limited to 750G? I want to install a terabyte drive. I thought I read someplace that someone tried it out and it worked on a 722, but I can't find that post now. Thanks for the help

Is the external hard drive still limited to 750G? I want to install a terabyte drive. I thought I read someplace that someone tried it out and it worked on a 722, but I can't find that post now. Thanks for the help
Some have had success, some not. I don't think those who have ever mentioned brand or model. Officially it's still 750.

Some have had success, some not. I don't think those who have ever mentioned brand or model. Officially it's still 750.

OK, thanks. I think I will start a new thread and see if there is any responce. I wonder what happens if it doesn't work! Does it just not work, format, or maybe stops recording at 750G!

I would make the process of gathering info pretty easy - go to Fry's, buy any size/shape/color/etc HDD, try it for 29 days.
If doesn't work for you - return back and get other one, loop the procedure a few more times. :D

Doesn't matter of that - they have a policy for return items !

What do you think their policy is if you get something home and it's broken in the box when you open it?

Are you ready for what they told me? "You broke it." I had to leave a $3,400 TV sitting there over night and threaten to dispute the charge on my credit card. They STILL didn't want to give me my money back. I held out and just left the TV in their possession and they finally called me back so I could come up there and they could give me my money back.

What do you think their policy is if you get something home and it's broken in the box when you open it?

Are you ready for what they told me? "You broke it." I had to leave a $3,400 TV sitting there over night and threaten to dispute the charge on my credit card. They STILL didn't want to give me my money back. I held out and just left the TV in their possession and they finally called me back so I could come up there and they could give me my money back.

With Fry's you always need to open the box and check before you buy, especially with resold returned merchandise.

As has been mentioned before by myself and others, there are several programs on my EHD that are no longer accessible. Attempting to play them results in a blank screen with the banner of the previously playing live program. Selecting "Live TV" gets you out, but returning to the EHD states that a program is already playing. A reboot is the only resolution. These programs are not able to be deleted from the EHD. They can not be moved from the EHD. They are essentially taking up space on the EHD.

Unfortunately, I have about 300GB of programming that is lost, I assume. I was only able to move off about 3 things. Everything else is unaccessable.

Both my 622 and 722 recognize the EHD and shows the list of programs that are on it although they are not accessible.

How do I force the receiver to reformat the EHD so I can at least get the space back?

By the way, its a MyBook Essential 750.