External hard drive communication problem

Rod Williams

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama
My reliable WD external drive has just begun to give me problems or is it my 622 receiver. An error window pops up saying that I don't have a compatible USB device connected. the only way I can get the receiver to recognize it is to do a reboot. this may work for a few hours and then it occurs again.
any else have this problem?

EHD Problem

So you would thing that the problem more than like is with the hard drive and not the receiver? Other than buying and testing another drive, is there any other way to check to see where the problem lies?

My hard drive on my 722 was going out. I could access the ext hd, but not the programs on the 722 drive. Sometime the programs would show up, but when I played one it would feeeze for an minute or so and I would have to reboot to get it to play. Yours sounds more like the ext HD.

We are assuming you have only one device plugged in to that USB port, and your EHD is self-powered.

And now you can get a 2TB USB external for $100 or so or even a 1TB for $50 each. I paid slightly more to use up rebate funds. Use the smaller for your computer backup.
-Ken

I found an old 320gb drive and it seems to be working. When I try to swap back to the WD drive the 622 has trouble recognizing it. so I guess I am in the market for a new drive. I am assuming that the 2tb drives work fine?

Does the Western Digital EHD ever go into power saving or sleep mode?

My non-Western Digital EHD is running constantly. I would think that when my receiver goes into sleep mode the EHD should follow.

I believe the Green WD (I only buy Black) might go into sleep or spin down mode. And you don't want them to, either. Waking back up is a problem, as we've discovered with some Seagate drives. At least with those Seagates, you can run a Windows program to defeat that feature before you put it into service.

BTW, I think most if not all late model Dish DVRs do NOT go into sleep mode (in the sense of the HDDs spinning down). The fans may kick down from high, though.

My new Western EHD also runs all the time,but members of this board said they just disconnect the PS to the EHD when not in use. I called and asked Western and Dish(worried about warranty) and they said it was ok to disconnect them,when not in use,so I now disconnect it. When I disconnect it,I get a message telling me I disconnected and and hit enter on the remote and when I reconnect it,I get a message asking if I want to reconnect it,and I again hit the enter button. Sometimes it is off for 3 days and so far,have had no problem.

I found an old 320gb drive and it seems to be working. When I try to swap back to the WD drive the 622 has trouble recognizing it. so I guess I am in the market for a new drive. I am assuming that the 2tb drives work fine?

I have a WD 2 TB "Elements" EHD with about 320 recordings so far, and have yet to have any problems with it.

Waking back up is a problem, as we've discovered with some Seagate drives.

I thought I read in this forum that the WD did not have the same problem with sleep mode as the Seagate....that the sleep software in the WD was recognized by the VIP receiver. My search to find this thread came up empty.