External Hard Drive from old account can't be used

davidb78610

Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Austin, TX
I was with Dish over 3 years ago and had their "Hopper with Sling". I had a couple of external hard drives with some programming on them. For a subject in another thread, I switched to DirecTV. Now, I have returned to Dish and have the latest Hopper 3. When I try and access my hard drives from prior account, I'm getting this message -

"The attached USB storage device is currently configured for use with another DISH network account. USB storage devices may only be used with one account at a time. To use this device with this receiver, all existing archived events will be deleted. do you want to delete all existing events?"

I've contacted Dish more than once and have been told there is nothing I can do about this. I understand why they would prohibit you from sharing and external hard drive, but in this case, it's still the same address, phone number, etc.
I would hate to lose these recordings. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?
Thanks

DISH has not changed their POLICY old hard drives must be on the same account number. You can still use the old hard drives but you must reformat and use them for new recordings.
IS THE GRASS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE?

Reactions: HipKat and joegr
You leave Dish, your account is closed, your EHDs are no longer readable without formatting.
You come back to Dish you get a new account, your old EHDs must be reformatted.

Blame Congress. Home recording of TV was explicitly ruled legal in the videotape days, so there's NO reason the Digital Millennium Copyright Act should've been passed. Anyone demanding that providers encrypt their content should've been told to get lost.

I was hoping there was some tech guru out there who would know how to get in there and tweak something to get beyond the account number validation.
I knew this was a long shot, but had to try.

It's not pirating if it's my own content. My e-mail address is available. :)

It's not your content, it never was. Your own content would be if you filmed yourself and your kids doing something. You never owned whatever shows you recorded. Image the royalty money you could make if you really did own them. No, you purchased the right to view them on a month to month basis as long as you were paying your monthly "rental." You terminated that contract. You have a new contract with the same company for pretty much the same thing, but it does not apply to anything done in the past.
I'm not saying this is right or wrong, only that this is how it is.

It's not your content, it never was. Your own content would be if you filmed yourself and your kids doing something. You never owned whatever shows you recorded. Image the royalty money you could make if you really did own them. No, you purchased the right to view them on a month to month basis as long as you were paying your monthly "rental." You terminated that contract. You have a new contract with the same company for pretty much the same thing, but it does not apply to anything done in the past.
I'm not saying this is right or wrong, only that this is how it is.
Isn’t material recorded over the air waves considered the receivers property? Wasn’t that the legal basis of the aero defense? Based on the OTA rules and regulations preventing encoding and scrambling of OTA Signal?
Doesn’t necessarily apply to satellite because OTA doesn’t include satellite signal.
But the bottom line is the recordings are lost, sadly.

Which is really weird, because I had ViP 211 and 722 receivers on my account before I upgraded to a Hopper 3. I removed the 722 from my account, but I was able to keep the 211 attached to my account, but not active.

I then took the 722 to our family vacation home and created a new Pay as You Go account with that and another 211 that I had replaced. So, a new account, right? However, I was able to use the EHD on the ViP 211 without reformatting it, allowing me to keep the programs I had recorded from my Home account.

Maybe it’s some special treatment because it’s treated as a sub-account?

Reactions: TheKrell
Isn’t material recorded over the air waves considered the receivers property? Wasn’t that the legal basis of the aero defense? Based on the OTA rules and regulations preventing encoding and scrambling of OTA Signal?
Doesn’t necessarily apply to satellite because OTA doesn’t include satellite signal.
But the bottom line is the recordings are lost, sadly.
Didn’t they lose that case at the Supreme Court?

Reactions: joegr
DISH has not changed their POLICY old hard drives must be on the same account number. You can still use the old hard drives but you must reformat and use them for new recordings.
IS THE GRASS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE?

I am having a similar issue, but the same account as I am still with Dish. Switched HDDs a couple years ago from 500GB to 1tb as I wanted more space. When I hook up the old 500 WD HDD, I get a message saying that the HDD has to be reformatted, meaning I will lose the material I had recorded. I refuse to do that as I want that old material. I have no idea, if I can get that material off the old HDD, but I do not need another 500GB drive, so I am waiting to see if I can find some way to view that material.

I am having a similar issue, but the same account as I am still with Dish. Switched HDDs a couple years ago from 500GB to 1tb as I wanted more space. When I hook up the old 500 WD HDD, I get a message saying that the HDD has to be reformatted, meaning I will lose the material I had recorded. I refuse to do that as I want that old material. I have no idea, if I can get that material off the old HDD, but I do not need another 500GB drive, so I am waiting to see if I can find some way to view that material.
Same receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)