External Hard Drive limit for the Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JerseyGuy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
What is the external hard drive limit for the hopper (original hopper w/o sling)? Also can more than one hard drive be used by swapping the cables back and forth?

Limit is 2TB. The Hopper will recognize 2 EHDs at one time. Additional drives can be rotated in using a USB hub. The drives must have an external PS.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Or if plugged into a hub, only the powered hub must be powered. In that case, the hub would lower the EHDs, not the Dish receiver.

I keep 4 or 5 connected to my Hoppers, just turning on and off the ones I want.

You may attach (using a hub) 4 drives and may be mixed direct and thru the hub. The limit is that only the first 2 by number can be used for playback. The others can be used in copying, internal to external or vv. The number assigned may be different after a reboot or they may be the same or some may not show up as the first 2 (and thus viewable) even when they are listed in the transfer menu as the 1 or 2. Try reboots or powering off that drive for a less drastic solution.
-Ken

Reactions: tornado
I have 1 ext hd hooked up to my HWS, but when I hook up the second ext HD, ths HWS does not recognize it. I plugged it into the 2nd USB port on the back and even tried the front USB port. How do you hook up the second ext HD. Both are WD my books with ext power.

Power down both drives. Wait for the "You have disconnected......" message, then power back up, one at a time.

You should be able to use all 3 ports and/or even use a 4-way USB splitter/combiner to get 4 ports.
You could even combine more ports provided not more than 4 drives are powered.
Only first 2 as found by the Hopper will allow playback. The others can transfer.
At the moment I have 3 in use with the 3rd being a sink for show to watch later.
-Ken

I plugged, unplugged, rebooted, and tooted, but can't get the second ext HD to show or work. I have a fan plugged into the front and the OTA dongle plugged into the 2nd USB on back, but unplugged both and tried the ext HD in both, even switched the working one wiht the 2nd HD,but to no avail. The hard drive lights up, but will not show on HWS.

I plugged, unplugged, rebooted, and tooted, but can't get the second ext HD to show or work. I have a fan plugged into the front and the OTA dongle plugged into the 2nd USB on back, but unplugged both and tried the ext HD in both, even switched the working one wiht the 2nd HD,but to no avail. The hard drive lights up, but will not show on HWS.
Well, then there is a problem with that EHD. I had the same problem once with a 722K. Turned out to be a bad power supply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)