External hard drive problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Crocodile Locke

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest Pennsylvania
I cleared off my old WD My Book 320gb external hard drive and reformatted it with the Azbox. The problem is, when I try to record it shows the recording icon on the front display and the indicator on the hd flashes as if it's working, but all other functions lock up and you can't do anything except power off (that button works, but the sound still outputs even though video turns off) and then power on and let it reboot. The timeshift works fine with the same hd, so I'm a bit confused as to what the problem is.

I plugged the hd into my pc and wrote zeros to the entire disk, before formatting it fat32 and had the exact same result as before. I'm hoping I'm missing something simple, but I can't think of what it would be. Any ideas?

turn off the timeshift option

I've seen that happen where it "freezes up" when the timeshift is on. Does it on a few of the higher bitrate feeds (not the ones that wont record right but close)

I have the same HDD set up

I thought I remembered you saying you had one too in that other thread. I believe I tried canceling the timeshift, but my brain isn't what it used to be, so I'll make sure I did and try again. :)

On an unrelated note, this new Azbox category is looking pretty full with all the old Azbox threads you moved here. I especially like the "Swiss Army Knife" in the forum description. :D

AZBox - This may help if you are networking drives
How to Record to the Network Drive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording to the Network Drive (AZBox)

I have an elite so always intended to record to a network drive, the software is not ready to do this yet, but there is a workaround.

Some rules:

Recording HD channel to a networked drive does not work properly yet.
Recording with Timeshift enabled screws it up, disable it
CCcam 0.1 does not record. 0.2 does.

You cannot record onto a PC's networked drive, per se. Presently, if not using a Premium internal drive, it can just record onto a usb drive. But, if you put a small usb stick in, you can trick it by mounting the usb to your PC share.

I have a PC with IP 192.168.1.33, with a shared folder named "Peliculas", inside this folder, two more folders named "pvrfile" and "recordfile".

- Plug a USB Flash Drive on STB (lower connector USB1).
- Telnet to this box, an type this two commands:

mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/movie -o guest
mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/usb1/sda1 -o guest

(Change the Ip and folder name to yours)

After that, when I enter to Home->Video, I see all my films on PC (the first command make that possible).
And when I push the record button and begin the recording, the record it´s made on PC.

once that works, it would be useful to have it do this at start up as opposed to having to telnet to it and do it again. so via telnet

mount -o remount,Re -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /MMP

This makes that folder writable. find file S.sh in /MMP/usr/bin and add at the very end of it these three lines

sleep 10
mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/movie -o guest
mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/usb1/sda1 -o guest

reboot box and the mounts should happen automatically. note any upgrades to box will probably remove these three lines and you would have to do it again. I would expect later on, that recording to network drives will be standard feature.

pedrogarcia

Interesting workaroud. The recording will be done to the Peliculas folder on your PC, or to another folder inside it? Will the box keep this ability after going to Standby & Wakeup? If not, how to fix?

Yes box keeps ability after standby and rwake up or reboot but does wipe on my preferred firmware upgrade method -

1) put the latest firmware patch onto a usb stick
2) If you are doing a total re-set up of your box and want to wipe everything clear then delete plugins,and do factory re-set.
3) then turn off your box at the back and put usb stick in again at the back underneath the ethernet cable port
4) turn box back on and a menu will appear
5) select number 4 which is FORMAT APPLICATION AREA this will wipe the firmware and any corrupt software off of your box and ensure a clean install
6) after formatting is done select the option to update by usb stick
7) system will show you what current one is and new patch one is
8) click proceed to confirm action
9) when its finished and it will take a while, then the box will reboot itself
10) select reboot without update,

Now take out the usb stick {if you are parenoid about corrupting the usb stick turn the box off at the mains then remove the usb stick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts