External HD Movies Delete after Playing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thehunlf

Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Some of my movies automatically delete after they are played. It appears to happen on movies dvr'd on MAX channels. IS this because of Dish's deal with premium channels. I do no remember this happening on the main dvr hard drive. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't heard of this . Now my pay per views I recorded 6 months ago , that I moved to my external hard drive did say : this event expired /press delete to remove from hard drive .

Some of my movies automatically delete after they are played. It appears to happen on movies dvr'd on MAX channels. IS this because of Dish's deal with premium channels. I do no remember this happening on the main dvr hard drive. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm new to the External HDD world and the first time I used it I had the same "delete" happen to me on a non-PPV show (just an OTA sitcom). Has something changed? I would find this feature quite useless if it has!

It's been happening to me too...not just movies either. I believe there is a bug (as opposed to some new DRM rule) as I "think" this happens most often if I go to live TV while the program is still playing from the EHD. I often do that while the credits are playing, but since L623, I've noticed items deleted if I don't play through to the very end of the recording, and get the "Start/Done" screen and select "Done".

That would piss me off. If it ain't working right I would ask for the $40 EHD fee back. If you pay extra for something that ain't working you should be entitled to a refund.

Looks like I found an explanation, under the Dish Website topic of Digital Rights Management I found the following:-

Premium Movie Packages with PocketDISH and External Hard Drives

HBO® and Cinemax® are requiring DISH Network to improve the security of their movies to prevent unauthorized copies. As a result, DISH Network has recently added some copy protection to HBO and Cinemax services.
The new content protection policies will impact customers that own a PocketDISH whereby content recorded on the DVR will be moved, opposed to copied, to the PocketDISH. Once these events are moved to your PocketDISH, they will no longer be available to view from your hard drive on your receiver. Additionally, the movie or content cannot be moved back to the DVR. If these policies apply to the content you wish to move, you will be advised by a pop-up at the time of download.
External hard drives must comply with copy protection standards to be utilized to store content. If your external hard drive does not comply, you will not be able to move the affected content.

End quote

Since all my issues were with programs copied from MAX channels, I guess this answers my question. I am glad I have let my CineMAX subscription expire!!

Also in case it is an issue, my current software version is L623.

Thanks to all who responded.

Cheers

Last edited:
The HBO/MAX DRM you mention notwithstanding, I still think there is a software bug. There is no rhyme or reason to the programs that have vanished from my EHD. OTA recordings, only certain episodes of The Tudors, etc. I really don't WANT to replicate the issue on any of my current archive, but I'm pretty darn sure that I could if someone from E* wanted me to so that they could develop a fix.

Losing episodes on EHD

Yes it happening to me i am losing episodes of Lost if start to watch then stop my episode is gone when i try to finish watching it i am on l623 also but i had this version for about month and only noticed this problem yesterday i am pis-ed

That's happening to me as well. I called Dish back (after orginally getting a clueless tech that simply told me it was my eHDD) and got a much better tech and we walked through troubleshooting everything and this incident has now been escalated. He also mentioned that if anyone else I'm in contact with on the web experiences this to call 888-300-4472. The more people with the problem that call, the faster they can find out what's happening. He also wouldn't commit either way but from our conversation I got the feeling that it's a possibility that L623 introduced this.

I installed a EHD last week to use an an archive so have not watched anything yet. I have unpluged the EHD. Any problem with that?
Additionally my 722 responds to commands (Guide, Info, Skip fwd/back, etc ) very slowly. EHD now unpluged. When powered, same problem.

I have lost movies recorded and archived from Starz, HDNet Movies, Showtime, Cinemax and HBO (and other channels) in the past month and it's very annoying. Has anyone heard whether a fix is coming for this (my 622 is at L625 presently), or is this the latest incursion of DRM into our lives?

If I talk to a tech, will that help, or will they just tell me "we're working on it" (which means about the same thing as SOON)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)