External HDD Compatibility ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ace68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Snow Belt, OH
I have a 1.5 TB external HDD with only USB connections. I understand that the HR20 uses eSATA connections. Has anybody ever tried using a USB to eSATA cable to connect their HDD to their DVR? My HDD is a spare iOmega...and before I buy a eSata to USB cable or New HDD w/eSata, I was just wondering if it would work?:confused:

I doubt it would work, but go ahead and try. I don't think you can hurt anything.

Although I gave it a valiant effort guys, sorry to say it did not work....Off to buy a new HDD I go!!!:D

There's no such thing as an eSATA to USB cable. They are two completely different and incompatible standards. There is an adapter to plug a n eSATA drive into a USB port, but not the other way around. The only other thing they make is called a 'breakout' cable, which is designed for the eSATA/USB combo ports built into newer laptops. The shape of the port allows either a USB or eSATA plug to be inserted, but not at the same time.. The eSATA pins are on the top of the port, and the USB pins are on the bottom. The breakout cable basically just splits the jack so you can use a USB and eSATA device at the same time. The USB and eSATA lines are not connected to each other.

You can buy external eSATA cases to put your existing 1.5TB HDD in as well. These are found in my local Frys store (or Frys.com) for around $30 or at Best Buy for differing prices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts