External HDD feature for ViP622 and ViP722: coming 8/15: $39.99

The reason I asked is that there were conflicting numbers. Some said it was limited to 4.

That's news to me - I get each new post emailed to me immediately and missed that one. For the last two weeks the discussion has ALWAYS been unlimited drives one (real or virtual) at a time.

The limit number of 3 was given for how many times you can MOVE a show to and from two different 622 receivers.

Search is not as helpful as it could be. Just treat the responses like CSRs. If you get one that doesn't help, go to the next one. :)

Search is not as helpful as it could be. Just treat the responses like CSRs. If you get one that doesn't help, go to the next one. :)

Nowdays Internet searching has become an artform. So simply telling someone "go do a search on Google" is like telling someone to go paint a portrait of Linsay Lohan.... Agh!!!!!!

Anyways back on topic. I also have heard over the past few days conflicting information about what is what. I'm not exactly sure on a few things either. But, the best solution for something this new is to sit back and wait awhile for it all to get sorted out.

I also have heard over the past few days conflicting information about what is what. I'm not exactly sure on a few things either. But, the best solution for something this new is to sit back and wait awhile for it all to get sorted out.

I am not conflicted. My drive works as Dish advertised and I'm enjoying the archive service without any problems.

What are you confused about?

A big problem here it that this thread was started before the feature was release and contains a lot of useless speculation.

Perhaps now that the real facts are (mostly) known all the pre-release threads should be closed (do we really know for SURE that 20 different drives will work).

I am not conflicted. My drive works as Dish advertised and I'm enjoying the archive service without any problems.

What are you confused about?

Nah not confused. :D I just tend to wait for things to get sorted out and any problems to crop up first. For example I didnt know about the spindown/idlemode problem the 622 is having with some external drives and that the fix is to set it so it never goes into idle. The result being that the HDD is spinning 24/7. Its not a good solution but I suppose it will have to do until the next software patch which will hopefully fix it.

How to connect the HD.................

Has there been any information as to how to connect the external hard drive to the 622/722?
I did a search of the forum and didn't come across any thing. Please, if anybody has any info on this let me know.
I don't have my computer close to the TV, so if it has to be networked to a computer, I can't do that.
Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Lyle

1/2 off

I just got off the phone with E*. After about 20 minutes of me complaining about the $39.99 fee, asking to speak with a supervisor, demanding to be told exactly how they can charge $40 for something as simple as sending a bullet, the CSR I was talking to offered me half off, so I took it. Of course I was charged $39.99 up front and the 1/2 will show up as a credit so I'll have to keep track, but it's worth 20 bones.

Just wanted to share,if you're persistent it pays.

Good luck!

Has there been any information as to how to connect the external hard drive to the 622/722?
I did a search of the forum and didn't come across any thing. Please, if anybody has any info on this let me know.
I don't have my computer close to the TV, so if it has to be networked to a computer, I can't do that.

Lyle

Lyle:

I don't have the 622 yet but am getting it and an external HD tomorrow. In preparation of their arrival I've done a lot of reading (and viewed the YouTube video here YouTube - Dish Network USB Storage Demo Video) and as best I can tell you just need to plug the external HD into a power source and then run the USB cable from the HD to the 622/722. That's it -- no computers, no networks, nothing of that sort. If this info is wrong I am sure someone will straighten me out. :)

Lyle

1. Obtain USB External Hard Drive.
2. Plug in power supply.
3. Plug USB cable into one of two USB ports on 622.
4. Follow 622 on-screen instructions.

NOTE: You do not ever use a personal computer with this drive.

Thank YOU........

I really am anxious to try this. I will be getting a 722 and want to get some of the things off of my 622 before I have to send it back.

I appreciate the responses.

Thanks again:

Lyle

Good idea. But I'm not sure it's worth upgrading from a ViP622 to a ViP722, especially if you have external storage.

Until Dish starts doing PPV in HD, which would require the VC1 support, I see no reason to upgrade. And only if the do HD PPVof all the current releases, not just the 5 or 6 a month they are now.

From postings here, I gather the ViP622 will decode VC1, just not as efficiently as the ViP722. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'd like to do HD PPV on my ViP622, oh, say once a quarter. So I'm not likely to pay a couple hundred to "upgrade." Later this year I'll have a Blu-ray player, and I can always run to BB or somewhere to rent, and be dollars way ahead over the upgrade cost.

From postings here, I gather the ViP622 will decode VC1, just not as efficiently as the ViP722. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'd like to do HD PPV on my ViP622, oh, say once a quarter. So I'm not likely to pay a couple hundred to "upgrade." Later this year I'll have a Blu-ray player, and I can always run to BB or somewhere to rent, and be dollars way ahead over the upgrade cost.

No one is absolutely sure but the chip in the VIP622 definitely labeled by the manufacturer to be able to do VC1. A newer version of this chip was suppose to be added to the 722 (unconfirmed) but it wouldn't necessarily make it easier to do VC1, it mostly added some other support.

Until Dish starts doing PPV in HD, which would require the VC1 support, I see no reason to upgrade. And only if the do HD PPVof all the current releases, not just the 5 or 6 a month they are now.

If you bet on VC-1 stream for Dish VOD, then I would expect Dish will replace ALL 622s. But it doesn't sound reasonable, nes't pas ?

Hello everyone. First post.

I get my 722 later this month.

Is it possible to watch archived programs on a USB 2.0 external harddrive from the TV's connected via TV2 (not the HD TV)? I've read that it is not.

-thanks

Lyle:

I've done a lot of reading (and viewed the YouTube video here YouTube - Dish Network USB Storage Demo Video) and as best I can tell you just need to plug the external HD into a power source and then run the USB cable from the HD to the 622/722.

Sorry, if redundant, but I have tried search. I have a 622 and 722. Can an EHD be moved back and forth between machines (all on the same account) without limitation?

What is this "only can move 3 times" I keep running into? Many times one of the 2 HDTV's are being used and will want to watch something on the ohter HDTV by just moving the EHD. Before I make the jump into the water, would like to know how cold or if any sharks are nearby!

Thanks

Sorry, if redundant, but I have tried search. I have a 622 and 722. Can an EHD be moved back and forth between machines (all on the same account) without limitation?

What is this "only can move 3 times" I keep running into? Many times one of the 2 HDTV's are being used and will want to watch something on the ohter HDTV by just moving the EHD. Before I make the jump into the water, would like to know how cold or if any sharks are nearby!

Thanks

Until they put the House Keys in place, you can only move an EHD between receiver 3 times. They say they are going to remove this restriction "in a future release".

I haven't heard when :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts