Extra $1/mo DVR Charge?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MI_SAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Billing Q: Extra $1/mo DVR Charge?

I was looking at D*'s website to possibly upgrade to a movie package. At the bottom of the possible upgrades were various other options. One of the other options was a $1/month DVR charge, which already had a "check mark" populated for that option.

In other words, it appears that D* wants to force me to increase my TIVO monthly charge if I change my programming in any way.

Is anyone familiar with what D* is doing regarding increasing DVR fees?

There's no way I will pay more for a service I am still under contract for for the next 9 months.

I just checked my bill from D* and the tivo charge is 4.99. I did see 5.99 on their web site though. That may be for new subscribers just have to wait and see. :confused:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the contract signed allows for D* to raise prices. Isn't this thread supposed to be under DVR not general?

deezoneezo said:
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the contract signed allows for D* to raise prices. Isn't this thread supposed to be under DVR not general?

I would argue that my question has more to do with DirecTv (a) pricing policy (can they increase prices intra-contract) and/or (b) business practices (the act of pre-selecting an "add-on" of additional $1/month, irrespective of what it was for).

But, move the post where you want.

I read on a previous post that the $4.99 monthly fee would be only for those customers who had a DirectTivo activated prior to August, 2005.

I bet that $1 price increase you saw is because you're updating your service. Even though you are not a new subscriber to the DVR service, Directv will not allow you to keep the $4.99/month price unless you keep your same level of service. j c

You're probably correct. How short-sighted on their part. Lose $12 in incremental revenue because they wanted to charge an additional $1. Now THAT'S good business sense.

I don't like the price increase one bit, especially when you consider they won't even have to pay the Tivo fee anymore. At least they're still not as bad as E* though. They charge a $5 per month fee for EVERY DVR in your house. 3 DVR's = $15 a month, plus the mirroring fees. :rolleyes:

While I wouldn't be thrilled about paying an extra $1 per month....
Look at it this way, if you buy a standalone tivo, they charge $12.95/month for first tivo, then $6.95/month for additional.

So if you have 3 DirecTV tivos, total cost = $5.99/month
3 standalone tivos = $26.85/month

DirecTV Tivo is still a bargain

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)