Fall 2009 HD Local HD Launches

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
PBS HD has been active for a few days now for those of us served by the Birmingham, AL DMA. Channel 10 (WBIQ) is now HD.

Latest report is that we could see all of the November launches on Wed, Nov 11th.

Two more weeks...

November
Marquette MI
Missoula MT
Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson ND
Sherman TX-Ada OK

Anyone know when WBSF CW Flint, MI will be added in HD?

Not sure it will be. Detroit doesn't even have CW in HD.

As for WBSF, their OTA feed sucks. They split the signal on CW46 & on NBC25, running both in 720p and both with constrained bandwith. Top that off, they do it on both channel 25 & 46 OTA - what a waste.

Even with 46 having a weaker signal, I wish they would just let each channel be it's own, and have decent bandwith, not to mention the proper resolution for their networks :mad:

Not sure it will be. Detroit doesn't even have CW in HD.

As for WBSF, their OTA feed sucks. They split the signal on CW46 & on NBC25, running both in 720p and both with constrained bandwith. Top that off, they do it on both channel 25 & 46 OTA - what a waste.

Even with 46 having a weaker signal, I wish they would just let each channel be it's own, and have decent bandwith, not to mention the proper resolution for their networks :mad:

I'd absolutely positive that WEYI and WBSF are run by the Clio High School Audio Video Club.

Is there any way to know if my town is even being discussed? I'm in the Marietta, OH / Parkersburg, WV region...

Is there any way to know if my town is even being discussed? I'm in the Marietta, OH / Parkersburg, WV region...

Hey, my sister went to Marietta College and lived in Parkersburg and Vienna for many years.

Two new markets launched today (new to HD & SD):

Missoula, Mont., designated market area. The following broadcast networks will be available in HD: KTMF/ABC, KPAX/CBS, FOX/MNT, KECI/NBC, KUFM/PBS, and CW in standard-definition.

Marquette Michigan customers for the first time via DIRECTV digital satellite, will include WBUP/ABC, WJMN/CBS and WLUC/NBC - all in HD, and FOX, WBKP/CW, WNMU/PBS, WNMU2/PBS and WZMQ/MNT in standard-definition.

The Marquette launch is a big one, the entire Upper Peninsula is that DMA and OTA reception up there is the pitts. They have struggled with locals up there forever (the few people that are up there).

There were also several individual HD local channel launches in various markets around the country. Here are the ones I found:

Milwaukee WI: WVTV (CW)
Greensboro NC: WCWG (CW)
Louisville KY: KET-1 (PBS)
Memphis TN: WKNO (PBS), MPB (PBS), WLMT (CW)
Richmond VA: WUPV (CW)
Lexington KY: KET-1 (PBS)
Waco/Bryan TX: KBTX (CBS)
South Bend IN: WBND (ABC), WCWW (CW)
Tri Cities TN/VA: WKPT (ABC)

And also an SD addition...

Colorado Springs CO: KTSC-DT2 (PBS)

Two new markets launched today (new to HD & SD):

Marquette Michigan customers for the first time via DIRECTV digital satellite, will include WBUP/ABC, WJMN/CBS and WLUC/NBC - all in HD, and FOX, WBKP/CW, WNMU/PBS, WNMU2/PBS and WZMQ/MNT in standard-definition.

The Marquette launch is a big one, the entire Upper Peninsula is that DMA and OTA reception up there is the pitts. They have struggled with locals up there forever (the few people that are up there).

Mostly right... The eastern 1/3 of the Upper Peninsula is part of the Traverse City-Cadillac market which launched some time ago. But, you're right, reception in the West and Central upper Peninsula (Marquette DMA) sucks due to rugged terrain and low powered stations. for example, NBC and FOX 83 kw on UHF, CBS 9.8 kW on UHF, MYT at 41 kW. The ABC/CW on VHF is pretty low too.

Same can be said for the Missoula Launch. Many mountains, valleys and low power transmission. I live 30 miles from Missoula and could get only 2 of the 7 stations OTA.

Mostly right... The eastern 1/3 of the Upper Peninsula is part of the Traverse City-Cadillac market.

Didn't remember that, perhaps I need to spend more time up there, I've enjoyed every trip up north I've ever had the opportunity to take.

Word is the final two for November will launch tomorrow:

Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson ND
Sherman TX-Ada OK

KBTX

There were also several individual HD local channel launches in various markets around the country. Here are the ones I found:

Waco/Bryan TX: KBTX (CBS)

It appears that KBTX is only SD, even though Direct lists it as HD. Perhaps that will change in the future. The fact that they carry them at all is a small miracle, we (local residents) have waited for about five months for this to happen.

Seems like they are never going to get to Joplin, Mo

locals are the only thing I miss from Dish and Cable.

Would be nice to not have to depend on my sometimes flaky OTA antenna/am21 combo.

Who knows maybe by 2012 or so the locals might be here

Sorry to complain (and to be fair dish network does the same thing) but it just annoys me that instead of adding locals... even standard definition versions to markets that lack any at all, the television providers make adding hd versions in existing markets a priority.

Seems like areas that need any form of locals should get first priority, over existing markets getting hd feeds... but hey what do I know?!?

KET PBS Lexington KY

I see KET is now HD in our local the channel shows up but when I try to watch nothing but black screen. I have the other locals in HD and everything seems to be okay with receiver does anyone know why this might be happening?

HR-20-100, Slimeline dish
Hatachi 50v500
Yahama htr 6280
Sony BDP S350 blueray

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)