Fan of the NBA? Why or Why Not?

It is hard to make generalizations regarding which sports are trending which ways. Until this year, NBA TV ratings had been trending downward for the entire post-Jordan interval. Now there are a few highly visible stars who make highlight reel plays that are marketable by the sneaker and energy drink (and cell phone?) companies. But still, a 10% increase over last year's TV ratings means what? They go from 2% to 2.2%, or from 3% to 3.3%?

I would have to agree with SamCdbs that, by some very plausible measurements, auto racing and college basketball are more popular than the NBA. While I don't have current attendance figures at my disposal, I'm pretty sure that a decade ago, auto racing and horse racing drew more fans to professional events than any other sport including football, but of course, horseracing is trending downward. There are no young "horsemen" to replace the ones that die off.

It is tough to evaluate the popularity of golf. It is a sport that will always get TV time even with relatively low ratings because it is the only sport where the people who watch it on TV play it and continue to purchase the equipment to play it all of their lives. But I can't come up with any popularity measurement that would put it in the top half dozen as a viewer sport.

I don't want to start an argument or a long drawn out discussion, but saying the MLB is the #2 most popular sport over the NBA is actually debatable.

Personally, I love baseball. Shockingly, I may even cherish the sport more so than the NBA, but there is no denying the NBA's rising popularity while the MLB continues to head in the opposite direction.
It is. Even with their ratings down and the NBA ratings up, MLB playoffs last year averaged higher TV ratings than the NBA this year. WS is way more popular than the NBA championship. MLB local TV ratings have a higher average viewership (even though they play every day and play twice as many games). MLB makes way more money as well. I even read somewhere that more people sub to EI than LP. We cannot really compare attendence due to the fact that MLB stadiums hold many times more people.

With all that said, the NBA's popularity is increasing. I do believe that it will eventually pass MLB in the next few years.

I love baseball too, but sadly I agree it's heading the wrong way. Heading there slowly, but the wrong way nonetheless.

The biggest proof is in youth sports, where participation in baseball is way down compared to basketball. Walk into a fifth grade class and ask the boys what their favorite team, player, and sport is. Very few will mention baseball or baseball teams or players, most will mention football and basketball.

Some of the kids won't even know who Chase Utley or David Ortiz or Ichiro Suzuki are. Most, however, will know Lebron, Kobe, Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett, not to mention a whole bunch of football players.

Sandra
I agree. I teach these kids. Which is why I said that the NBA will eventually be #2. You also have to realize that many of these kids grow to like baseball when they get older, just as they grow to like other music besides RAP.

It is tough to evaluate the popularity of golf. It is a sport that will always get TV time even with relatively low ratings because it is the only sport where the people who watch it on TV play it and continue to purchase the equipment to play it all of their lives. But I can't come up with any popularity measurement that would put it in the top half dozen as a viewer sport.
Demographics in TV ratings are also important to advertisers as well.

Lots of rationalization in this response. It is a big deal to a lot of people. How many people can name the starting fives right now from the final four teams without looking them up?

So what are the great college basketball storylines right now?

Sandra

I was there and I couldn't tell you the names. I could say the same for the NBA final four also. I can only name a hand full of the starters, right now.

I was a big NBA fan from childhood up until the early to mid 90s. Then it seem that the officating went down hill. I can't remember when this happened, but the Pacers had the Knicks beat in game 7 of the conference championship series. They were ahead by 2 with just enough time for the Knicks to get a shot off. Larry Johnson uncorked a 3 pointer from just inside the time line, which he missed. As the Pacers were begining to celebrate the refs determined that Larry was fouled in the act of shooting and should be given 3 free throws. The sad thing about this was that the replay showed that there was only one Pacer close to Larry, but it looked like he didn't touch him. The replay also showed that the ball was a quarter of the way to the basket when the "fouled in the act" was comitted. Larry canned all three shots. The Knicks win by 1. The more I thought about this, the more I realized that NBC wanted a New York/ Los Angeles final not a Indianapolis/Los Angeles final, because the ratings would be higher. ;)

At the begining of every NBA season I try to watch some games, but after I see about 1 quarter I can't stand it any more. Horrible, horrible basketball.

I was a big NBA fan from childhood up until the early to mid 90s. Then it seem that the officating went down hill. I can't remember when this happened, but the Pacers had the Knicks beat in the conference championship series. They were ahead by 2 with just enough time for the Knicks to get a shot off. Larry Johnson uncorked a 3 pointer from just inside the time line, which he missed. As the Pacers were begining to celebrate the refs determined that Larry was fouled in the act of shooting and should be given 3 free throws. The sad thing about this was that the replay showed that there was only one Pacer close to Larry, but it looked like he didn't touch him. The replay also showed that the ball was a quarter of the way to the basket when the "fouled in the act" was comitted. Larry canned all three shots. The Knicks win by 1. The more I thought about this, the more I realized that NBC wanted a New York/ Los Angeles final not a Indianapolis/Los Angeles final, because the ratings would be higher. ;)

At the begining of every NBA season I try to watch some games, but after I see about 1 quarter I can't stand it any more. Horrible, horrible basketball.

Well if I were a Knicks fan, I'd have trouble staying tuned-in also. They DO play some "horrible, horrible basketball." ;)

Well if I were a Knicks fan, I'd have trouble staying tuned-in also. They DO play some "horrible, horrible basketball." ;)

Ooh, going for the bad karma award, are we? ;)

Making fun of another team while your team is barely hanging on. Ouch. :p

Sandra

I agree, but there have been times in their storied history when they had some great teams. The 1968-69 team comes to mind.

Oh I agree. But you said you lost interest in the mid-90's. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I don't think the Knicks have been that great since that stretch.

Here are some differences between baseball and basketball:

1. Superstar performances in the playoffs. LeBron has delivered the goods in every playoff game, win or lose- OTOH, Alex Rodriguez still has yet to shake his playoff demons.

2. Superstar relatability- speaking of A-Rod, IMO, I feel that it's easier for basketball's big names to relate to the public and the fans of sports than it is for baseball guy. Alex Rodriguez is said to be the biggest star in baseball, yet he (and others) doesn't seem to connect with fans like King James, LeBron, D-Wade, Dwight Howard, etc. Also, A-Rod has skipped recent home-run derbies- Dwight Howard is not afraid to participate in dunk contests.

3. More likelihood of an amazing play- most basketball game between any team has a chance to see amazing happen (See Devin Harris' buzer-beater that livened up a normally run-of-the-mill game between two .500 teams). Many basketball game usually has one show-stopping dunk or play- not all baseball games have at least one homerun hit or spectacular play- there are some games that won't feature a Web Gem.

4. Shots can be made from anywhere. Every homerun comes from a batter in the batter box. In the NBA, there is no place on the court where a shot can't be made- wherever you are, a shot can go in. HD, you personally saw LeBron's buzzer-beaters against Atlanta and Orlando- one was from beyond the three-point line, the other was near half-court. I'd like to see a baseball player hit a homer while standing behind the catcher.

1. Superstar performances in the playoffs. LeBron has delivered the goods in every playoff game, win or lose- OTOH, Alex Rodriguez still has yet to shake his playoff demons.

2. Superstar relatability- speaking of A-Rod, IMO, I feel that it's easier for basketball's big names to relate to the public and the fans of sports than it is for baseball guy. Alex Rodriguez is said to be the biggest star in baseball, yet he (and others) doesn't seem to connect with fans like King James, LeBron, D-Wade, Dwight Howard, etc. Also, A-Rod has skipped recent home-run derbies- Dwight Howard is not afraid to participate in dunk contests.

3. More likelihood of an amazing play- most basketball game between any team has a chance to see amazing happen (See Devin Harris' buzer-beater that livened up a normally run-of-the-mill game between two .500 teams). Many basketball game usually has one show-stopping dunk or play- not all baseball games have at least one homerun hit or spectacular play- there are some games that won't feature a Web Gem.

4. Shots can be made from anywhere. Every homerun comes from a batter in the batter box. In the NBA, there is no place on the court where a shot can't be made- wherever you are, a shot can go in. HD, you personally saw LeBron's buzzer-beaters against Atlanta and Orlando- one was from beyond the three-point line, the other was near half-court. I'd like to see a baseball player hit a homer while standing behind the catcher.

Baseball doesn't always lend itself to the spectacular, but when it does-

A close play at home, somebody hitting for the cycle, the walk-off HR, a no-hitter, the spectacular fielding plays, etc... I think you get what I'm saying here. There are only so many ways to dunk a BB, and you can see them all every morning on ESPN.

I don't get what you're trying to say here. Each game has it's rules for a reason.

Using your line of thinking to make scoring easier in MLB, should we let batters hit from the warning track, for the equivalent of a slam dunk in hoops?? :confused:

I say we try your idea, with YOU as the catcher :eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts