Fan of the NBA? Why or Why Not?

The intensity of the playoffs is unbeatable. And this is coming from a viewer who seldom watches the NBA during the regular season. Obvious connection: There's nothing wrong with the NBA; it's the way the regular season is structured.

hate it!!!!!!!!!

a number of reasons

1. 5 steps before a walk is called :rolleyes: why not just score points when the ball hit any part of the goal, talk about cheapening the scoring

Doesn't happen any more. Traveling is now called much tighter.

2. a lottery for draft position- this is flat out retarded

SOMETHING is retarded here, yes

3. Kobe "Rapist" Bryant

You must hate all sports.

4. pumping in stupid sound affects to drown out the snoring in the crowds

Again, you must hate all sports. Sound effects are everywhere.

Wonderful post.

Sandra

Doesn't happen any more. Traveling is now called much tighter.
That's really not accurate, it still is an issue.

"It's very blatant now," says Walt "Clyde" Frazier. One of the greatest point guards in NBA history, Frazier is also, as a Knick team broadcaster, a close observer of today's game. "They go twenty feet to the hoop without dribbling one time. This is what they are getting away with nowadays. Some of them are so obvious. You'll hear me on the broadcast saying 'That's a travel! Watch the feet!' Wilt [Chamberlain] would have averaged 100 points a game if they had let him do that."

But the league is working on changing a rule that refs today admit is being ignored.

Frazier speaks for multitudes who are convinced that when it comes to traveling, referees nowadays ignore the rulebook almost entirely.

Shockingly, Borgia -- the man in charge of telling referees what is and is not a travel -- admits that referees are instructed, by him and others, to ignore one part of the NBA's written traveling rule.

NBA Traveling: "We Really Don't Reference the Rulebook" - TrueHoop By Henry Abbott - ESPN

That's really not accurate, it still is an issue.

This argument is like saying you don't like major league baseball because second basemen don't always touch second base on a double play, or you don't like the NFL because all offensive lineman are allowed to hold.

Sandra

Again, you must hate all sports. Sound effects are everywhere
Nobody overdoes sound effects like the NBA. I have no problem with playing music during timeouts or even some sound effects, but now they do it on every possession, PA announcers yell defense and some lame teams even pipe in fake crowd noise. If a team sucks so bad that only 6000 people showed up to the game don't pump up the volume to make it seem like there are 20,000 people there and it's game 7 of the Finals.

Nobody overdoes sound effects like the NBA. I have no problem with playing music during timeouts or even some sound effects, but now they do it on every possession, PA announcers yell defense and some lame teams even pipe in fake crowd noise. If a team sucks so bad that only 6000 people showed up to the game don't pump up the volume to make it seem like there are 20,000 people there and it's game 7 of the Finals.

Between the NBA, NHL and college basketball all going on at the same time, I don't watch games of any of those sports between two terrible teams. Not the NFL or MLB either.

But you, you must be a very strong fan of the NBA if you're one of the few sitting through those games and hearing the sound effects. Good for you. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Sandra - the NBA differs here because they're the only ones that do it DURING GAME ACTION. Baseball comes close, but you'll never hear anything when the ball is really in play. Same with the NHL, where the music fades out when the puck drops.

Sandra - the NBA differs here because they're the only ones that do it DURING GAME ACTION. Baseball comes close, but you'll never hear anything when the ball is really in play. Same with the NHL, where the music fades out when the puck drops.

If sound effects are the league's biggest problem, I suppose the league is in good shape. At least the league's stars don't leave after a year or two for a better league.

Sandra

I find it funny reading posts of those trying to justify why they like or do not like a particular sport. It is simple. Each of us have different taste and like different things for different reasons.

If sound effects are the league's biggest problem, I suppose the league is in good shape. At least the league's stars don't leave after a year or two for a better league.

Sandra

it's ok, Sandra - I would be prefer the NBA game if my college product was St John's, too :D:D:D

it's ok, Sandra - I would be prefer the NBA game if my college product was St John's, too :D:D:D

:D :D :D

HA! Don't forget I'm a Knick fan too, I have the worst of all basketball worlds.

But I guess that means the Michigan guys and salsadancer prefer college football...since they don't have NFL product to root for!!!

Sandra

The reason I don't like watching the NBA as much as college is because night in and night out the passion and the motivation from the players is average at best. Yes they are tall and they are talented but let's be honest, the effort is often called in. Even during the playoffs and I watched some of each series, you can see players not playing defense in key situations with the game on the line. It is just what it is: millionaires going through the motions most of the time.
Remember when Boston shut down the Pistons with Larry Bird stealing the pass from Isaih Thomas and feeding Dennis Johnson to win that series? The Piston's learned their lesson about passion from the Celtics and became the Badboy Pistons playing with heart and passion shutting down Jordan and the Bulls. Yes shut down Michael Jordan the same way Kobe or Lebron could be shut down, if willing! The NBA decided that level of passion was bad for business and ruled everything a flagrant foul that was passionate. I remember as a player myself being challenged by a tall and talented player on a breakaway who I grabbed so he couldn't dunk on me. He was upset but I told him no one dunks on me if I can help it and he understood. But that was then and this is now and you have to admit the game has changed to a more WNBA feel. By the way the same thing is true in Hockey. I long for the days of Bob Probert and passion in the game.

The reason I don't like watching the NBA as much as college is because night in and night out the passion and the motivation from the players is average at best. Yes they are tall and they are talented but let's be honest, the effort is often called in. Even during the playoffs and I watched some of each series, you can see players not playing defense in key situations with the game on the line. It is just what it is: millionaires going through the motions most of the time.
Remember when Boston shut down the Pistons with Larry Bird stealing the pass from Isaih Thomas and feeding Dennis Johnson to win that series? The Piston's learned their lesson about passion from the Celtics and became the Badboy Pistons playing with heart and passion shutting down Jordan and the Bulls. Yes shut down Michael Jordan the same way Kobe or Lebron could be shut down, if willing! The NBA decided that level of passion was bad for business and ruled everything a flagrant foul that was passionate. I remember as a player myself being challenged by a tall and talented player on a breakaway who I grabbed so he couldn't dunk on me. He was upset but I told him no one dunks on me if I can help it and he understood. But that was then and this is now and you have to admit the game has changed to a more WNBA feel. By the way the same thing is true in Hockey. I long for the days of Bob Probert and passion in the game.

Go tell Lebron James he doesn't play with passion. Or Kobe Bryant. Or Kevin Garnett. Or Rafer Alston. Or Dwyane Wade. Or Amare Stoudamire. Or Ray Allen. Or Tony Parker.

Even in the playoffs? Wow.

And the NHL has no passion in the playoffs either? It's like the WNBA? OK.

:confused:

Sandra