Fan of the NBA? Why or Why Not?

Just keeping it real! If Michael Jordan was shut down then Kobe and Lebron and Garnett could be shut down too.

Go tell Lebron James he doesn't play with passion. Or Kobe Bryant. Or Kevin Garnett. Or Rafer Alston. Or Dwyane Wade. Or Amare Stoudamire. Or Ray Allen. Or Tony Parker.

Even in the playoffs? Wow.

And the NHL has no passion in the playoffs either? It's like the WNBA? OK.

:confused:

Sandra

GASP! Watching the NHL Playoffs certainly didn't make me think of the WNBA! No offense girls, but those men that play in the NHL are some of the toughest SOB's you'll ever see!!!

Go tell Lebron James he doesn't play with passion. Or Kobe Bryant. Or Kevin Garnett. Or Rafer Alston. Or Dwyane Wade. Or Amare Stoudamire. Or Ray Allen. Or Tony Parker.

Even in the playoffs? Wow.

And the NHL has no passion in the playoffs either? It's like the WNBA? OK.

:confused:

Sandra

Well....seems that MANY people here tend to think teams and players actually "quit"....

...so you should not be surprised by that comment...I am not.:(

Dont really care for it, but that goes for most pro sports (in comparison the the college game anyway).

Pro sports, and basketball in particular, have a cheap/fake feel to me that can not compete with the atmosphere that I get from a college setting.

I will still watch it however.
Just my opinion.

I am not talking about offensive passion I am talking about defensive passion. Kobe and Lebron are not defended with the necessary passion it would take to make them even think twice about taking it to the hoop. The Pistons stopped Jordan simply because Chuck Daly said if he dares to come inside let him know we will not back down. You will not see that in the NBA or the WNBA and that's my point. Mr Stern has ruled that level of defensive intensity will not be allowed and that's what different from twenty years ago. Kobe and Lebron could wear skirts instead of shorts because Stern is going to protect them from any hard fouls.
As for hockey yes they are tough but how many fights were there in the finals? Not as many as there used to be in the first game alone. And I am not talking about fighting as good but where is the passion the players once had?

As for hockey yes they are tough but how many fights were there in the finals? Not as many as there used to be in the first game alone. And I am not talking about fighting as good but where is the passion the players once had?

Forget your basketball points, not worth discussing. If you want to believe all that, go right ahead.

But if you think fighting is the only thing that defines passion in hockey...you are...eh, not worth discussing this either.

The NHL playoffs, including the finals, are as intense as it gets in sports. Some random person bringing up how many fights there were, as if that means anything at all, is irrelevant.

Sandra

I will put my knowledge and history of the game against yours any day of the week You just don't want to face the fact that Michael Jordan was shut down by good defensive passionate pressure. As for fighting in hockey you missed the point. it is not about fighting it's about sacrificing and being passionate and that's what different about today's game from the past. There are facts to back up my points. If in doubt look back at the history of the Piston Bad Boy years. Kobe and Lebron would have paid a price for going inside, unlike today's NBA.

As for fighting in hockey you missed the point. it is not about fighting it's about sacrificing and being passionate and that's what different about today's game from the past. There are facts to back up my points.

What facts state that there is no sacrifice or passion in the NHL playoffs?

Sandra

Did you watch the last game for the cup? Early in the second period for the first time in the series Sidney Crosby was hit hard on the boards by Franzen (the mule) and did not return. It wasn't a dirty hit just a "passionate attempt" to make Crosby pay for every inch of ice. Had they played Crosby that way earlier in the series who knows what would have happened. I am guessing with Sid the kid a non factor earlier, Pittsburgh would have lost the Cup. The lack of defensive passion is what I have noticed has happened to both the NBA and the NHL as the game has become faster and more offensive. Players like Crosby would have had to watch their heads more twenty years ago because there were players like Bob Probert who would have knocked him into next week given the chance. You may have seen Kromwell get a penalty for a legal hit in the Wings/Chicago series because it fell into that excessive/flagrant hit area. That's all I am saying.

Did you watch the last game for the cup? Early in the second period for the first time in the series Sidney Crosby was hit hard on the boards by Franzen (the mule) and did not return. It wasn't a dirty hit just a "passionate attempt" to make Crosby pay for every inch of ice. Had they played Crosby that way earlier in the series who knows what would have happened. I am guessing with Sid the kid a non factor earlier, Pittsburgh would have lost the Cup. The lack of defensive passion is what I have noticed has happened to both the NBA and the NHL as the game has become faster and more offensive. Players like Crosby would have had to watch their heads more twenty years ago because there were players like Bob Probert who would have knocked him into next week given the chance. You may have seen Kromwell get a penalty for a legal hit in the Wings/Chicago series because it fell into that excessive/flagrant hit area. That's all I am saying.

Twenty years ago Bob Probert never knocked Wayne Gretzky into next week. Not even once. Apparently Probert wasn't passionate enough either, then.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sandra

So true. I marveled at his talent, but I always thought the league "protected" him. Steve Yzerman never got the calls that Gretzky got.

From what I remember of Yzerman he was awesome. Just not as shifty as Gretzky. Yzerman also hung out in front of the net a lot more than Gretzky did, which led to him getting more abuse.

Sandra

There are always haters. The truth was, the Bob Proberts of the league wanted to check Gretzky, they just weren't able to catch him.

Sandra
That's probably more from being smart than pure speed. Gretzky never wanted to participate in individual skills competitions because he never was the hardest or most accurate shot, or the fastest skater either. But he was probably the best combined at those skills.

He knew exactly where to be, the right place at the right time.

Sandra, as a Rangers fan, you're familiar with fast, shift, talented, exciting players- Gartner, Leetch, Jagr after the lockout, etc.

I am as familiar with them as I am with heartbreaking goals against in the dying seconds, a team that folds it's tent at the first sign of adversity, and a moronic general manager who thinks he's so above it all he won't even grant any New York media outlet in interview, because he considers them all beneath him.

He only gives interviews in Edmonton, where he actually accomplished something, albeit 20-25 years ago.

Can't wait until July 1, the day he annually hands out absurd contracts that assure we will not be able to compete in a salary cap NHL.

Sandra

You're just jealous because he's not a Ranger.;):D

I'll bet you and Sandra must have had mixed emotions about an all-time great- and true legend, IMO- who played great for both of your teams:

p1_jagr.jpg
jagr.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)