Fan of the NBA? Why or Why Not?

Golf, NASCAR, and college football are clearly more popular. Depending on how you measure it, college basketball, tennis, and a whole list of other sports are as well.

The NBA is an urban niche sport. Its popularity away from the cities it plays in, even in similar sized cities, let alone the smaller markets, is tiny.

Got any real facts to back that up, or just your typical Rush-like made up ones???...:rolleyes:

Your last sentence goes a long way in explaining the reason you seem to feel about the NBA...Your town, state or even region doesn't have a team, so you don't seem to care for any!!!...:eek:

And this lame excuse about ESPN's "over-coverage" is just that...lame!!!...:(
The NBA is one of their premier major league contracts...of course they promote it a lot...to not do that would be bad business...And there is no way they promote the NBA more than the NFL!!!...Hell, they devote all of Monday and half of Tuesday pushing MNF alone, and thats not counting daily half hour/hour live shows year-round for the NFL and their college sports broadcasts !!!...!sadroll

But once again, Sam never lets the true facts get in the way of his opinion, of which his is always right, and everyone and everthing else couldn't be even close to being correct!!!...;)

Give me a freakin' break!!!...:rolleyes:

Lets keep politics out of the sports forum, OK?

Facts?

Last year's NBA Finals, which run in the deadest month of the TV year, were the LOWEST rated ever.

If you get down deep into the NBA ratings, by market and then by county within market, and finding this info is rare, since Mr. Nielsen charges for his work, but you see it from time to time, you find a sport that is a barely a blip in the sub 30 DMAs, and pretty much likewise outside of the core urban center even in NBA DMAs.

The NBA, within the last few years, has failed in Charlote, Vancouver, and is in the process of failing in Memphis.

The "global" NBA, thus, just lost 50% of its teams in the only "foreign" country it actually plays in, now having a team in Ontario, a place which is more like Ohio than Ohio is like Louisiana.

Why the hostility. The OP posted a question and various people posted opinions different from your own. Has ESPN forcefed you so much that anyone who dares disagree be attacked.

Pretty dull board if everybody just spends all day agreeing with one another.

Last year's NBA Finals, which run in the deadest month of the TV year, were the LOWEST rated ever.

Wrong. That was two years ago, and that was due to the presence of the Spurs.

I can't believe you claim that it was "factual" that last year's Lakers/Celtics Finals was the lowest-rated ever- that is ridiculous!

The NBA, within the last few years, has failed in Charlote, Vancouver, and is in the process of failing in Memphis.

Once the Bobcats' talent develops, matures, and makes the playoffs, then it'll be different. The reason these places are not supporting their team yet is because they have yet to breakthrough. Once they make strides, people will show up.

I'm sorry, but to say the NBA is less popular than NASCAR? That is so ridiculous.

Dale Jr., Jeff Gordon, and Jimmie Johnson do not captivate this country like Kobe, LeBron, and D-Wade.

In the NBA, we are treated to breathtaking athleticism. What's so entertaining about seeing guys drive around and around for so many miles?

Also, NBA playoff ratings are through the roof; NASCAR ratings have declined every week since the Daytona 500.

To quote Sheriff Andy Taylor in the first episode of the greatest sitcom ever, "there is a whole lot of fine things in between the big city you are driving from and the big city you are driving to." If Sheriff Taylor were alive today, he would change that to "flying over".

The NBA FINALS got a rating as low as 6.2 in the last 10 years, the lowest 500 was a rain soaked 8.4.

Of course, NASCAR will do something every week, as will golf, tennis, and other sports that do not really come down to a "finals".

hate it!!!!!!!!!

a number of reasons

1. 5 steps before a walk is called :rolleyes: why not just score points when the ball hit any part of the goal, talk about cheapening the scoring
2. a lottery for draft position- this is flat out retarded
3. Kobe "Rapist" Bryant
4. pumping in stupid sound affects to drown out the snoring in the crowds

I don't think its to drown out snoring, but I'm with you on the other part...I hate the sound effects and the scoreboard demands to cheer. I can follow the game and I know when to cheer and get loud....I don't need to be prodded by the scoreboard.

no but why cant the NBA be like the NFL

worst record gets 1st pick
2nd worset get 2nd
etc
finals winner gets last pick
finals loser is 2nd to last

as for the playoffs, as you drop out, they go by record then

2nd worset get 2nd
etc

The NBA has their own way of conducting the draft. IMO, the lottery adds an element of excitement to it that no other league can claim.

And btw, the lottery is to determine the draft order of the non-playoff teams only. Furthermore, the lottery is only for picks 1, 2, and 3 by random selection of 14 balls in the lottery hopper. The 4th through 14th picks are then assigned to teams based on weakness of record. Playoff teams are also determined by worst to best record.

Last edited:

2nd worset get 2nd
etc

Too much temptation to tank. While there are no guarantees in any sport, the NBA is where it is easiest to judge a player's ability to perform in the league. The NFL is way more of a crapshoot.

And one basketball player means a lot more to a team than one football player does, even a quarterback.

Sandra

I am not a fan because there are too many games (same w/ Baseball) and I live in Las Vegas (and am a local), we have no team. Playoffs are interesting because there's a tangible sense of the games mattering more.

I don't understand the positions in the game well enough to play franchise modes of the video games either, which is annoying.

I am not a fan, until late in the playoffs, then it's an interesting sport.

One of my biggest pet peeves with it though is how fouling is a tool instead of a penalty at the end of a game. I'd rather it escalate further, start making it 3 shots, start counting for double on people with more than 3 if a foul is committed within a certain amount of time as another foul (to foul those players out). It's part of the game, but I find it annoying.

hate it!!!!!!!!!

a number of reasons

1. 5 steps before a walk is called :rolleyes: why not just score points when the ball hit any part of the goal, talk about cheapening the scoring
3. Kobe "Rapist" Bryant

I would re-order this, but this pretty much mirrors me...

College basketball will always be better for me, due to the crowds.

Basketball just doesn't do it for me. I WAS a fan of the Showtime Lakers as a kid, but those guys were class acts. Too many NBA players today conduct themselves off the court like wannabe gangbangers. Too many teams base 90% of the strategy on getting the ball to one guy and letting him rack up as many points as possible. How would a Magic Johnson make it in today's NBA? That was a guy who could have been up there with Michael Jordan, but chose the team over his own stats. The game was more interesting to watch, too. Truth is, I DON'T relate with today's NBA players at all.

I am a baseball fan. I get goofed on by basketball fans all the time because they say my sport is boring. Football fans too, which is funny to me because anyone who has actually gone to a football game knows how slow-paced they are with everyone standing around for the commercial breaks after nearly every play.

Football is supposed to be the most popular ball sport and Baseball comes in second. One Nascar event draws more attendance and larger viewership than either sport. I have heard it said that the two hardest sports to master are first Golf then baseball and I thik I agree with that. While an NBA or NFL player may be more physically athletic than a baseball player or golfer, these two games require far more skill to be great. They're much more thinking man games than any of the others. They require a higher intelligence to play AND enjoy...(haha, made your blood boil, didn't I?)

Basketball just doesn't do it for me. I WAS a fan of the Showtime Lakers as a kid, but those guys were class acts. Too many NBA players today conduct themselves off the court like wannabe gangbangers. Too many teams base 90% of the strategy on getting the ball to one guy and letting him rack up as many points as possible. How would a Magic Johnson make it in today's NBA? That was a guy who could have been up there with Michael Jordan, but chose the team over his own stats. The game was more interesting to watch, too. Truth is, I DON'T relate with today's NBA players at all.

I am a baseball fan. I get goofed on by basketball fans all the time because they say my sport is boring. Football fans too, which is funny to me because anyone who has actually gone to a football game knows how slow-paced they are with everyone standing around for the commercial breaks after nearly every play.

Football is supposed to be the most popular ball sport and Baseball comes in second. One Nascar event draws more attendance and larger viewership than either sport. I have heard it said that the two hardest sports to master are first Golf then baseball and I thik I agree with that. While an NBA or NFL player may be more physically athletic than a baseball player or golfer, these two games require far more skill to be great. They're much more thinking man games than any of the others. They require a higher intelligence to play AND enjoy...(haha, made your blood boil, didn't I?)

Having played both sports, I got to say hitting the ball well in either sport is very difficult. Especially strange since in one of them, the ball is just lying there. Needless to say, I struggled with both. Still struggling with golf, for that matter.:D

Bagger Vance said it's a game that can't be won, only played, and there's absolutely no danger of me disproving that statement!

hate it!!!!!!!!!

a number of reasons

3. Kobe "Rapist" Bryant

#1 does it for me, although the other 3 reasons are pretty good. There's so much traveling in the NBA the games should be on The Travel Channel. And what's a foul anymore? Anything or everything? or both?

hate it!!!!!!!!!

a number of reasons

3. Kobe "Rapist" Bryant

Agreed.:up:up

I would re-order this, but this pretty much mirrors me...

College basketball will always be better for me, due to the crowds.

Nothing like a Pitt Vs. UCONN game.:)

While I have much respect for the sports of baseball and basketball, if you honestly told me, that I could only choose one, I'd take basketball over baseball.

Brace yourself for a long post, guys.

There are many reasons why I feel the NBA has the magic and appeal to transcend worldwide- and it's not just today- it's the long haul:

1. Superstars. The greatest of NBA players were those you could recgonize by name no matter where you were. In the 1980s, people knew what you meant when you said names like Magic, Bird, Dominique, Clyde 'The Glide,' Kareem, or Dr. J.

Then, there's the 1990s- Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, David Robinson, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Barkley.

As for baseball- honestly, I never thought some of the big-names in baseball in the modern era are truly transcendent. There's a reason why diamond legends of long ago are truly transcendent- Willie Mays, for instance. OTOH, if Dave Winfield and Patrick Ewing walked down the street, I think Ewing would be mobbed by more people when he was spotted.

Baseball players, to me, are not as relatable and transcendent as great basketball stars. Great names can light up the TV ratings- Magic, Bird, and Julius Erving did it in the 1980s, and in the 1990s, Jordan was IT. If those Bulls played a nationally televised game and won by 60, it would draw at least a 10.0 rating.

It's hard to envision millions of people tuning in to watch a baseball player bat just four times when there are long waits. Unlike baseball, basketball players have many, many chances to make up. In baseball ,if you go 0-4, that's usually it. In basketball, if you miss your first four shots, you can still make up for it.

There are people around the world who know LeBron, Kobe, CP3, D-Wade, Superman- if you asked a guy in South America who Alex Rodriguez was, he'd be hard-pressed. OTOH, if you asked if he knew anything about LeBron James, he'd give you something.

2. Statistics. IMO, to lead the NBA in scoring sounds a lot more exciting than to lead the MLB in batting. What's easier to explain to young people- put the ball in the basket more times than anyone, or how to increase your average without getting a hit?

Look at the list of NBA scoring champions- only the true stars are there- Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, D-Wade, etc. The last non household names to lead the NBA in scoring were Alex English and Adrian Dantley, and both are in the Basketball Hall of Fame. OTOH, you can't say the same about some recent batting titlists- how many of them are Cooperstown bound?

3. Business. David Stern >>>>> Bud Selig. Granted, the NBA did have that lockout of a few months in 1998-99, but that was nothing compared to the 1994 strike. The NBA resumed its season and crowned a champion, and we all know what happened to baseball that year.

The NBA has crowned a champion EVERY year- the MLB did not do so in 1994.

4. Nicknames. So many NBA players have cool aliases, and honestly, what sounds cooler- A-Rod or King James? Advantage- LBJ.

5. Weather. We had a heated discussion on the late start times and weather issues with last fall's World Series- you'll never hear that about basketball games.

6. All-Star events. Some of the biggest names in baseball skip the home-run derby- OTOH, Dwight Howard is not afraid to do a Dunk Contest, LeBron will do so next year, and MJ and Kobe were able to do so as well.

(Oh, and NBA All-Star Games don't end in ties:D:D:D:D:D:D)

7. Finally, the pace of the game. Sometimes, a baseball at bat can drag on forever. In the NBA, there's a shot clock. IMO, it's easier to watch a timed event. Baseball games can drag on forever- in basketball, games usually end on time unless there's overtime (I'm sure none of us complained when Bulls/Celtics went into all those overtimes)

Oh..you like basketball because you enjoy watching it. I like baseball because I enjoy watching it. You like baseball because you enjoy watching it, too. That's really what it comes down to. They could purify basketball, make the NBA a team sport again, force the players to live by a code of ethics and drop all of the silly, stupid shoe endorsements and I still would not turn on an NBA game. It does not interest me. I see no real challenge in 7 foot tall players with 4 foot long arms jumping 5 inches off the ground and slam dunking a ball into a 10 ft tall basket. Watching Shaq stumble down the court like Frankenstein's monster and tip a ball into the basket is about as interesting to me as watching paint dry. It's just a matter of taste as to what sports someone does or doesn't like. Now if you'll excuse me, I nee to go pump up my shoes with the airbags in the soles and the springs in the heels, so I can jump like Kobe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)