Favorite Hockey Fights you remember

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With hockey season approaching,

I'm sure there are some of us who remember some of the fights.

Hockey fans, what are some of the fights you remember?

Here's mine:

[youtube]qfYRwmBQOBk[/youtube]

I was at this game. Believe it or not, I went to 10 Sabres games at the Aud and Buffalo won ALL 10 GAMES!!

I NEVER saw a Sabres defeat in person there.

The Sabres are deserving of a few other mentions too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPhqXj_24I]YouTube - Sabres VS Senators BRAWL 2/22/07[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41T7sEn7F5s]YouTube - Garth Snow vs Steve Shields[/ame]

I have played hockey since I was in 8th grade and was the goon on the squad so I have been involved in many fights. Some of the best were a few years ago when we had a goon that was a former Red Wing get in fights with some of the amateurs in our league (the league was mainly made up of former NHL, Minor league and college players so it was not a slouch league).

The funniest fight I saw was at the Frisco, TX minor league team. I forget who they played but both benches ended up clearing ... entire ice covered with fights..... the goalies stayed put but you new that it was just a matter of time before they went at it. They eventually met at mid ice and that was a heck of a fight.

Seems like most players were ejected, the penatly box were overflowing with players. the rest of the game was played 3on 3 which is very interesting because you have so much room.

Thats my story... dont watch much NHL so I can't give good input there.

I was at this game.

[YOUTUBE]L-GYuIenNt8&hl=en[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uuJaaVEg_EA&hl=en[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GCuLZRGzQjg&hl=en[/YOUTUBE]​

I was at this game at the Hartford Civic Center in April of 1975. Oh, how I miss the WHA.

Nick Fotiu, Jack Carlson, Bill Butters, etc...

It's only audio, but it's still funny to listen to:

[YOUTUBE]N_xproK4-j8&hl=en&fs=1[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I wanna say it was in a 1988 playoff game, I do remember it was game 6, Philadelphia and Montreal got into a scrap when Claude Lemuiex skated down and shot at the Flyer goal the during pre game warm up. The Flyers were offended and all hell broke loose. There were no officals the ice. It was a scene out of "SLAP SHOT." I loved it. :up

I don't know how many people know this but, Jack Carlson was slated to be in Slap Shot with his brothers, but had to back out because his WHA schedule would not permit it. Dave Hanson was brought in to join the Carlson brothers and they became the Hansons.

UPDATE: Found it, it's a classic from1987. Enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xyCMyGIPVY"]YouTube - Philadelphia vs. Montreal Pregame Brawl 1987[/ame]

The French version:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6FOHfHcEM4"]YouTube - Montreal Canadiens vs. Philadelphia Flyers[/ame]

The only thing missing is Dave "The Hammer" Schultz and "Battleship" Bob Kelly. This was right up their alley.

Last edited:
The Wings and the Avalanche had a few that would make some top-ten lists.
I should contact my brother who was a huge Bob Probert fanatic. Over the years he recorded probably 100 of Probert's fights as a Red Wing. He then created a Bob Probert Video Death collection set to music. It has all of his greatest hits (pun intended) on VHS.

Any time Probert and or Kocer were on the ice was a good time to fight.

I remember Dave Schultz from back when I was a kid, thats when they really played hockey, where you were not afraid to HIT someone.

Jimbo

The best hockey fight I ever seen in person was in an IHL game in 1989, so there is no video. The Milwaukee Admerials were playing the Indianapolis Ice at the State Fairgrounds Colisium in Indianapolis. It seems that the two teams had a game the night before in Milwaukee and there were ill feelings that carried over to this game. Matthew Barnaby, playing for Milwaukee was in the process of refining his routine of skating around during play stoppages with his head down giving cheap shots to the opposing players, getting the fight started and then hiding behind his goons. There was an off sides about 30 seconds into the game when he pulled the stunt the 1st time, decking one of the Ice players. Needless to say there was a good fight. As the game went on he was doing this more and more and was lucky enough to have his goons protect him. With 2 minutes left in the peroid he did it again, but a couple of Ice players got a hold of him and was beating the hell out him. Then his goons got there and all hell broke loose. Both benches cleared and this lasted about 10 minutes (in real time). It was the best brawl I have ever seen live. When the smoke cleared and the game misconducts where handed out there were only the starting and back up goalies, the 5 skaters and 3 men a piece on the bench. Now the referee did something I had never seen before and have never seen since. After gaining control of the situation he cleared the ice by sending everyone to the locker rooms with 2 minutes left in the peroid. There was a full intermission, they then came back and played the final 2 minutes of the 1st peroid, took a short break then started the 2nd peroid. The game was pretty tame after that. I am sure the referee visited both teams during the intermission and laid down the law. Of all of the games I have seen live, college, IHL and NHL that brawl was the best ever. This no talent slug Barnaby managed to do this act for 15 years in the NHL. He got under a lot of opposing players skin, but he also got the sh*t kicked out of him on a regular basis. Oh yea....the Ice won 5-3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)