Favre teammates NOW throwing him under the bus!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Now I have never been a big fan boy of Brett Favre, but nice to know that the gutless teammates go on radio to air their dirty laundry that SHOULD BE KEPT BEHIND CLOSED DOORS! By listening to this crap, you would almost think that the REST OF THE TEAM had no fault in the collapse of the JETS. Last I saw, he didn't play defense.:rolleyes:

Piling on: Jets teammates unhappy with Favre

by FOXSports.com

Updated: January 1, 2009, 10:11 AM EST 1193 comments

As if finding a new head coach, preparing for the draft and figuring out whether the star quarterback will be part of their future aren't big enough issues, the New York Jets have a new problem to deal with as they begin 2009.

Brett Favre is not a popular guy with his teammates, some of whom think the legendary quarterback needed to be held accountable for crucial mistakes down the stretch as the team missed a playoff berth.

Appearing on a local radio show Tuesday, Jets running back Thomas Jones said Favre should have been benched during his three-interception performance against the Dolphins on Sunday, according to The Daily News.

"We're a team and we win together ... but at the same time, you can't turn the ball over and expect to win," Jones said in the interview. "The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality. If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's OK,' that's not reality.

"The reality is, you throw interceptions, I'm (ticked) off, I don't like it. You know what I'm saying? I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it."

The veteran running back, coming off a 1,300-yard season with 13 touchdowns on the ground, went so far as to say coach Eric Mangini should have benched Favre, a training-camp addition to the roster after retiring from the Green Bay Pacers and then changing his mind.

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones said in the WQHT-FM interview. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team."

Playing with a sore shoulder, Favre, 39, threw nine interceptions during the Jets' 1-4 December swoon, finishing with a league-high 22 and adding to his reputation as a gunslinger perhaps too confident in his own abilities.

Another player said Favre was an awkward fit from almost the moment the Jets traded for him on Aug. 6 and released Chad Pennington. Favre reportedly spent considerable time during the season in a private office near the equipment room rather than in the locker room.

"There was a lot of resentment in the room about him," the anonymous teammate told Newsday. "He never socialized with us, never went to dinner with anyone."

Owner Woody Johnson has indicated he wants to see Favre back in 2009, but Jones' outburst is an indication that the quarterback has work to do on and off the field with his teammates if he plans to return next season.

On Monday, fourth-year safety Kerry Rhodes told the paper: "If he's dedicated and he wants to come back and do this, and do it the right way ... and be here when we're here in training camp and the minicamps and working out with us ... then I'm fine with it. But don't come back if it's going to be halfhearted or he doesn't want to put the time in with us."

And the issue may extend beyond the locker room as the Jets look for Mangini's replacement.

"I want (Favre) out of the building before I get there," one general manager told The Daily News in analyzing the thought process of prospective coaches. "He's finished. You can read Mangini's body language: 'We can't control him. He will not follow. He's undisciplined. Belligerent.'

"Why would any reasonable man even want him around if you are trying to get a fresh start?"

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Piling on: Jets teammates unhappy with Favre

At least Thomas Jones had the guts to put his name to what he said. There are also some comments from anonymous players, which you hear so often from teams.

And good for Kerry Rhodes too. He said he right things.

Sandra

At least Thomas Jones had the guts to put his name to what he said. There are also some comments from anonymous players, which you hear so often from teams.

And good for Kerry Rhodes too. He said he right things.

Sandra

But saying them NOW??!! When there a possible 50-50 he will not be back?? It just goes to show....when you win, bad harmony in the clubhouse is not an issue. When you DON'T win....suddenly finger pointing starts and the idea of harmony is suddenly an issue. Where was this guts during the season?

to me, it looks like everyone is looking for a scapegoat...

Yeah i've noticed this the last few days. comments here and there. maybe now some of us understand what kind of team mangini was running here. maybe it wasn't a TEAM after all.

But saying them NOW??!! When there a possible 50-50 he will not be back?? It just goes to show....when you win, bad harmony in the clubhouse is not an issue. When you DON'T win....suddenly finger pointing starts and the idea of harmony is suddenly an issue. Where was this guts during the season?

to me, it looks like everyone is looking for a scapegoat...

i agree.this doesn't always happen to all teams that struggled in a season but it always tests the character of the team.sometimes they show good character and sometimes well you get what you're seeing with the jets right now.

Brett Favre is not a popular guy with his teammates, some of whom think the legendary quarterback needed to be held accountable for crucial mistakes down the stretch as the team missed a playoff berth.

this i can agree with. throwing all the blame on mangini wasn't right either. most of us know this. favre needed to be held accountable for the jets meltdown and perhaps a few others like in management that were responsible for bringing favre to the jets.the defense should also share some of the blame! but it doesn't always work out that way does it!!???:no

i agree.this doesn't always happen to all teams that struggled in a season but it always tests the character of the team.sometimes they show good character and sometimes well you get what you're seeing with the jets right now.

Exactly. Hmmmm....I wonder...has Favre gone to the media to complain about the defense?

Exactly. Hmmmm....I wonder...has Favre gone to the media to complain about the defense?

that's right! we all know how brett favre can sometimes be but i've never heard this man say " we lost because of this guy or that guy" and so on. I'ts very unprofessional,very inmature. it's not what men do. in other words it's best I don't say what type of man does this s****!

What a bunch of freakin crybabies. They don't like Favre because he didn't hang out with them off the field?? I swear, no one acts like a professional any more.

Well, maybe if he weren't putting them on the field so often (7 INTs over the last 3 games, 22 INTs for the season), he'd have a case.

And when he would have his press conferences, he had no issues 'fessing up to his mistakes. He didn't go on radio shows and start whinning like a bunch of little girls. That is the kinda crap you keep IN THE LOCKER ROOM.

Let's get something straight to all JETS fans.....you guys were NOT "a missing piece away from being a Super Bowl contender"...But the moment you guys got Brett Favre, you guys thought you were. NOW that he didn't get the JETS there, suddenly ALL of the ills that prevented you from going to the playoffs, was his fault.:rolleyes:

And when he would have his press conferences, he had no issues 'fessing up to his mistakes. He didn't go on radio shows and start whinning like a bunch of little girls. That is the kinda crap you keep IN THE LOCKER ROOM.

Let's get something straight to all JETS fans.....you guys were NOT "a missing piece away from being a Super Bowl contender"...But the moment you guys got Brett Favre, you guys thought you were. NOW that he didn't get the JETS there, suddenly ALL of the ills that prevented you from going to the playoffs, was his fault.:rolleyes:

They'll draft another QB this year again.
Brett will be gone after next year if not sooner.

Jimbo

Nah, he just does it during the off-season when he keeps them wondering if he is or isn't going to play. In any event, they got both the best and worst of Brett Favre this year.

Nah, he just does it during the off-season when he keeps them wondering if he is or isn't going to play.

Apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between telling people over the airwaves that 'you stink and should be benched' than "I don't know if I am coming back".....

Apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between telling people over the airwaves that 'you stink and should be benched' than "I don't know if I am coming back".....
I don't view it that way. Same result, uncertainty and discord. You don't think there was any dissension on the Packers at the beginning of this year? There were plenty of reports out there about some players being in the Favre camp and others being in the Rodgers camp. I actually think that Favre's drama BEFORE the season was more disruptive than what's going on now. His drama before the season affected two teams. And if the accounts from the Jets are true, Favre dove under the bus by not really making himself a part of the team.

Nah, he just does it during the off-season when he keeps them wondering if he is or isn't going to play. In any event, they got both the best and worst of Brett Favre this year.

no one is arguing that Favre has acted selfish with this game he plays on whether he's retiring or not.he's acted like an a*hole about that but calling out a teammate publicly over their performance has never been his way. you keep that type of situation behind doors. what's funny is the rat that went on the radio talking crap about Favre had a horrible season himself the year before and I don't remember anyone doing this to him.talk about throwing stones in glass houses!

this nonsense about Favre not hanging out with them or going out with them is just childish and very immature. These Jet players are acting like a bunch of bi***es right now. I've never defended Favre on the selfish way he's acted the last few years until the point that the Packers had enough of him and I'm certainly not going to defend or excuse the way the Jet players are acting towards a teammate right now.

I don't view it that way. Same result, uncertainty and discord. You don't think there was any dissension on the Packers at the beginning of this year? There were plenty of reports out there about some players being in the Favre camp and others being in the Rodgers camp. I actually think that Favre's drama BEFORE the season was more disruptive than what's going on now. His drama before the season affected two teams. And if the accounts from the Jets are true, Favre dove under the bus by not really making himself a part of the team.

It didn't effect TWO teams...it effected ONE team...Green Bay. The Jets had no inkling he was going to be available. I am SURE they made Favre aware he was a bandaid because they could not be actually thinking they were one player away from being a Super Bowl contender were they?

and how is it that he didn't make himself part of the team? by not hanging out with them outside the organization? come on,please. If they were in the playoffs right now that wouldn't be an issue.They win at least one playoff game and you might not ever even find out he wasn't hanging around with them outside of the field. You can tell these are immature 23 24 year olds bringing this up.

and how is it that he didn't make himself part of the team? by not hanging out with them outside the organization? come on,please. If they were in the playoffs right now that wouldn't be an issue.They win at least one playoff game and you might not ever even find out he wasn't hanging around with them outside of the field. You can tell these are immature 23 24 year olds bringing this up.

EXACTLY!! When you win...NONE of these issues come up. The moment you are no longer winning....fingers are point all over the place....ESPECIALLY at the QB and the head coach.

The Jet's knew what they were getting when they traded fro Favre. His last season in GB was great but a couple before that, not so much. He will win you some games with fantastic play but he will go through times when it seems he is passing to the other team.

I really have no problem with Thomas or what he said to the media. At least he put his name out there. However, I find it silly he would want the backup to come in at that point in a game when they were only down a TD and Favre has proven throughout his career he can take a team down to score and win the game. Would he rather have an unproven backup, who had played little all year, than Favre at that point? That makes no sense to me.

The rest is just the NY media acting like the British tabloid media.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts