FCC Bureau Moves on 61.5-Degree DBS Issues

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
I am not exactly sure what this means for VOOM, but I think this has to do with the two transponders that VOOM has temporary use of.

FCC Bureau Moves on 61.5-Degree DBS Issues

The International Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission moved on issues concerning DBS spectrum last week, restricting use of a portion of one orbital location used by a handful of companies.

At issue is two unassigned DBS channels at 61.5 degrees, an orbital location used by EchoStar and VOOM from Cablevision and Rainbow DBS. Also, Dominion uses an EchoStar satellite to deliver its services from the orbital location, and has a license for DBS capacity at the slot.

The bureau released an order Friday that would prohibit companies with DBS operations at orbital locations capable of providing DBS service to all 50 states from acquiring, owning or controlling two channels currently available for licensing at the 61.5-degreee orbital location for four years. The order also covers any subsidiaries and entities those companies with full-CONUS operations control, the order said. Also, the bureau order would prohibit those same companies from leasing the channels during the same period.

"Because these channels are the only remaining unassigned DBS channels in the 12 GHz DBS band that could provide service to the Eastern half of the continental United States, we conclude that such a restriction on eligibility to use them will serve the public interest by helping to promote the development of an additional provider of DBS services," the bureau said in its order.

The bureau said Rainbow DBS, the licensee of 11 channels at 61.5 degrees, supported adoption of the eligibility criteria, and apparently the Cablevision unit had proposed the idea to the commission. However, EchoStar, which also is the licensee of 11 channels at the orbital location, opposed adoption of eligibility restrictions for the license for the two available channels, the bureau said.

http://www.skyreport.com/?HDPictures.com

Could someone respond about this report?

This sounds interesting. Could someone with VOOM or a knowledgeable substitute reply about what this means for VOOM? We all know OR SHOULD know that the FCC is GOD in the area of communications and broadcasting. If this is good news for VOOM, it MAY be just what the company needs to survive long-term. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Open to comments,

Dave Farrow
Lancaster, PA
charter VOOM member since 11/2003

I am baffled, too as to what this means. It seems like VOOM is happy with the decision, though.

Lucky said:
"Because these channels are the only remaining unassigned DBS channels in the 12 GHz DBS band that could provide service to the Eastern half of the continental United States.
Not sure about this part, no clue as to why Voom would even care about eastern half channels, unless they could use them for eastern RSN's.
Lucky said:
"we conclude that such a restriction on eligibility to use them will serve the public interest by helping to promote the development of an additional provider of DBS services," the bureau said in its order.
I believe we can easily say Voom falls in this category, after all, Voom is a new DBS provider.

What this says (correct me if I am wrong only my opinion) is that everyone thought that the FCC would put these two TPs on the bid market. These two TPs are assigned to VOOM on a temporary basis until March or April of 2005 (based on the file 10 form an extension was granted). Will affect VOOM? My guess is that it will not since they can move the channels assigned under the 2 TPs to the new bird at 72 degrees which they were planning to utilize anyway.

It basically means DirecTV and Echostar won't be eligible for the 2 TPs because they already have satellites capable of reaching all 50 states.

Was these not the transponders that Voom said if pulled they would lose Starz and something else?

Found it:

The STARZ! and SHOWTIME PlusPacks are delivered on satellite capacity that is only temporarily available to Rainbow DBS. Rainbow DBS may be required to cease transmitting over this capacity at any time. If you have any questions about this, please call us toll free at 1.800.GET.VOOM.

http://www.voom.com/see_it/programming.jsp

No these TP's that the FCC is talking about are NOT currently used. They were not biddable yet.
So how does this affect VOOM directly? Not at all unless they were looking to bid on these in the near future. Which from what I gather they where not going to.

How does this affect other DBS providers? Not at all except that it looks like Dish may have been looking at these two to help with there current lack of resources though thats pure speculation on my part.

Based on the info at the FCC site,these are those transponders,they are unassigned but are in use,E* was using them until the FCC said stop and let V* use them temporarily until they are sold,given or whatever to someone.

Any FACTS on this affects Voom?

Are there any updated facts on whether Voom is involved with these TPs? This thread just sort of died. Thanks, Gerry

ggw2000 said:
Are there any updated facts on whether Voom is involved with these TPs? This thread just sort of died. Thanks, Gerry

Well,they are the transponders that Voom are using temporary, but I have no idea what the ruling means also, except that it looks like D* and E* can not license them,so maybe Voom can and/or Sky Angel?

I think it means that one company can not own all the transponders on the 61.5 slot? So why can D* own all the transponders at 101?

So will the FCC block the E* buyout of V*? Is the deal off?

Voom will not re-org until 05?

E* is accumulating cash? For what?

Who knows? Just the lawyers .....

I read it and it is pretty clear.

All it says (to me) is that if a satellite company already has ConUS coverage (meaning D* and E*) then they will not be eligible for the 2 remaining TPs at 61.5. So what this basically means is that either voom or sky angel or anyone else without conus coverage can get these 2 TPs. But dish network can still get them by buying voom or getting them from sky angel, so it is not blocking a sale.

Or if E* buys V* they need to give the two slots to sky angel cuz the FCC said so :D ?

GregN said:
Or if E* buys V* they need to give the two slots to sky angel cuz the FCC said so :D ?
If E* buys V*, they will have enough transponders not to worry about those two. ;)

Thanks

BFG said:
I read it and it is pretty clear.

All it says (to me) is that if a satellite company already has ConUS coverage (meaning D* and E*) then they will not be eligible for the 2 remaining TPs at 61.5. So what this basically means is that either voom or sky angel or anyone else without conus coverage can get these 2 TPs. But dish network can still get them by buying voom or getting them from sky angel, so it is not blocking a sale.

Thanks for the info and your thoughts... Gerry

It will prevent DirecTV and Echostar from bidding on the two transponders. Even if they don't want them, DirecTV and especially Echostar would possibly bid on them just to see if they can get the space so Voom cannot have it or drive up their price just to make it less likely they can survive. The FCC has the opinion that getting a third profitable DBS provider is in the best interest of the nation and so they want to make sure Voom or Sky Angel have a chance to make it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts