FCC Proposed Rules from SHVERA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Let the flaming of the list begin. My county is missing some stations that is get a Grade A (and thus the turning down of waivers) signal on.

I noticed that for where I live, the only stations on the "Significantly Viewed" list included only ABC, CBS, and NBC stations... actually it was horribly incomplete as it only contained our local NBC station when we also have local ABC and CBS stations as well.

Did the FCC purposfully leave out FOX, PAX, PBS, UPN, and WB stations on the list? They would have to be significantly viewed for a cable company to offer them to another market.

Here's why I wonder... If I were to subscribe to Adelphia, I would get:
Charlottesville, VA: ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS
Richmond: ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PAX, UPN, WB

According to verbage in the document, the Richmond stations would have to be significantly viewed for the cable company to offer them.

According to the list from the FCC, the "Significantly Viewed" stations in Charlottesville are:
Charlottesville, VA: NBC
Harrisonburg, VA: ABC
Richmond, VA: ABC, CBS, NBC

If the FCC's document is correct, then I don't get any new channels to be useful. But I will note that since Albemarle County is so big, some people are closer to Richmond than Charlottesville. For them, I see this rule as being really good. I also noticed at a glance that some of the surrounding counties would get Charlottesville locals in addition to Richmond locals, which is also good because they may be physically closer to Charlottesville than Richmond.

I certainly hope their list is horribly incomplete. I was seriously hoping that the SHVERA would allow me to get a FOX*, UPN, and WB station without having to pay for the distants/superstations. [*Charlottesville has no local FOX station.]

jdmcs said:
Did the FCC purposfully leave out FOX, PAX, PBS, UPN, and WB stations on the list? They would have to be significantly viewed for a cable company to offer them to another market.

I know that when it comes to PBS and other NCE (Non-Commercial Educational) Stations the cable cariage rules are different than those for comercial stations.

For cable carriage systems with 12 or less channels must carry 1 NCE station, 36-12 channels the system must carry 2 NCE stations, and systems with more than 36 channels must carry 3 NCE stations. The NCE stations must demand must carry and the cable headend must be in the NCE station's Grade B contour. If more NCE stations demand must carry than the required number a system must carry then the system carries the stations in the order the must carry demands were received.

If a cable system doesn't have enough NCE stations asking for must carry (IE: an area NCE not asking for must carry or there aren't enough NCE stations in the area) then the remaining cable channels are to be reserved for future NCE stations. The reserved channels may carry programming until a NCE station becomes available. We actually have an NCE 28 miles away that doesn't ask for must carry, thus only 2 get carried and the 3rd channel is reserved.

BTW the FCC server is down, can't wait to read it.

A few things I noticed on the list:
PBS stations are not listed at all
WGCL-46 (CBS affiliate for Atlanta) and WUPA-69 (UPN affiliate for Atlanta) are missing from the list entirely. I've seen postings elsewhere that say some of the their networks affiliates are missing as well.

As soon as the system starts accepting comments, I plan to post mine detailing all incorrect listings for Butts County, GA (my father's house).

My house in York County, PA is missing WHP-21 (CBS affiliate for Harrisburg) and WLYH-15 (UPN affiliate for Harrisburg), but actually has the Baltimore DMA's correctly listed for "significately viewed" that match whats on the local cable, except for the PBS stations that are all missing from the list.

"Significately Viewed" LIST

Here's the portion of the FCC ruling containing the LIST.

Attachments

• b-041207list.pdf
    685.8 KB · Views: 300
sweet
I wonder if I can "move" back to my lake house? I use to have that as my addy because I got Fox & CBS distants...then I moved to get Duluth stations.

Now significantly viewed is ABC, NBC, and CBS from Duluth. Mpls is the DMA :)

Does this mean since there is no ABC station listed for my county (St. Joseph, MI) DirecTV can give me the national HD feed now?

no

It seems the list is of stations that are signifacantly viewed...Some areas list the channels in your DMA, and some don't have them listed.

Derwin0 said:
I've seen postings elsewhere that say some of the their networks affiliates are missing as well.

Yeah, I posted the comments below on DBSTalk.com yesterday.

My market (Albany, GA, DMA #147) has SIX stations (sorta!) in it. They are a NBC affiliate (WALB), a FOX affiliate (WFXL), two PBS channels that are repeaters of channel #8 out of Atlanta, a UPN affiliate (WVAG) that is licensed to Valdosta which is in the Tallahassee, FL DMA, but has it's studio and tower within the Albany, GA DMA and a independent station (WSST). Currently, DirecTV has yet to offer my local channels, but Dish does and offers WALB, WFXL and ONE of the PBS channels. Currently, SOME of the subscribers can get the ABC affiliate (WSB) out of Atlanta, and very few if any have access to the CBS affiliate (WGCL) out of Atlanta.

When looking up my county (Terrell) in this list, it lists WALB, WFXL and TWO "Significantly Viewed" channels which consist of the CBS affiliate (WRBL) and the ABC affiliate (WTVM) out of the Columbus, GA DMA (#125). But it does not list the other TWO "Significantly Viewed" stations that cable offers in the parts of Terrell County that have cable. They are a CBS affiliate (WCTV) from the Tallahassee, FL DMA, AND the ABC affiliate (WSB) from the Atlanta, GA DMA.

~Alan

I was looking at it and just thought of something

Where my lake house is (Aitkin County, MN), we use to be in the Duluth DMA. About 2-3 years ago, they switched it to the Minneapolis DMA. Charter cable in Aitkin had NBC & ABC from Duluth, CBS from Walker (satellite channel of Mpls) and Fox from Fargo. Most recently it was all Mpls stations along with NBC & ABC from Duluth.

Recently (12/31/04) WDIO (ABC) and KBJR (NBC) from Duluth turned in their license to operate translator stations from Aitkin (ch 27 & 35). In doing this, Charter dropped these 2 channels from Cable. The reason given is the county is no longer in the DMA (yet Fox from Fargo is still on a translator in Brainerd, which is CLEARLY in the Minneapolis DMA) :)

Wonder if I could still get these channels through SV. The chart shows ABC, CBS, and NBC from Duluth along with KCCW Walker (which is nothing but a satellite translator of WCCO Minneapolis)

Also, I am to assume that the Canadian channels (CBC & CTV Winnipeg) and CKPR (CBC Thunder Bay) are not eligible for SV (even though they are listed) :D

Check Koochiching County and Cook County in MN.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)