FCC Proposed Rules from SHVERA

what exactly is this list, and what does it take to be "significantly viewed"? I live in Bibb County, Alabama and am in the Birmingham DMA. The list doesn't even have all the Birmingham stations (not even all the ones I can pick up OTA). There is a station from Montgomery (CBS 8 WAKA.. Selma, really but MGM DMA) that I can pick up better than even the station from Bham (CBS42 BHAM) OTA. What does it take to be Significantly viewed..that it can merely be received in a community or do they take a survey and see what people in the county are watching? Is this a final list or is it subject to change

The list appears to be garbage

The FCC needs to put out a better explanation of the list. From what I can see and what others are saying, it has no basis in reality and is nothing more than something the FCC put together in a hurry to meet the deadline.

I'm worried that it isn't garbage. Let me explain...

There are several reasons that cable systems might have multiple local market networks. Sig. viewed is only one of them. I'm worried that some of the channels I thought came in under sig. viewed are covered by "multiple market headends", i.e. my cable company serves 2 adjacent DMA's, so they can send both sets of networks over.

I'm going to confirm this with my local cable co. If this is the case, I have a feeling "Sig. Viewed" isn't the big win some of us thought it was.

According to the paragraph at the beginning of the list, the list is from 1972. The stations with a + are stations they added to the list after that date.
This would be before Fox (1987) and 3 years after PBS (1969), so that would explain why a lot of the stations are missing.

JosephB said:
what exactly is this list, and what does it take to be "significantly viewed"?

Summarizing what's been said over in DBSTalk and DBSForum.

• Essentially, D* and E* will be allowed to carry both the locals in your DMA plus any other station listed in the "significantly viewed" list for your community.
  • "Significantly viewed" has a complex definition. Essentially it means that the station is watched by more than 3% of households in a community and gets more than a 25% share. ("More than" = more than one standard error in the survey used. "Household" = household that gets its TV OTA; doesn't include cable or DBS subscribers.
  • "Significantly viewed" was defined in 1976. The FCC feels that Congress prevents it from changing the definition.... despite the facts that we have a much more fragmented market, that a majority of families in the US now have either cable and/or DBS, that a lot of smaller/newer stations will have problems getting to the 3%/25% threshhold when there are perhaps a dozen or more broadcast station options now rather than just four or so, and that this still creates inequalities when comparing what is carried on cable versus what can be delivered by satellite.
  • If there's an out-of-market station that you think is "significantly viewed" in your local area, the best idea to maybe get it available to you on D* or E* without "moving" is to get in touch with the station, and have them petition the FCC to get on The List.
  • The FCC can't change the definition of "significantly viewed" without an act of Congress. What to do about this is left as an exercise for the reader.

Maphisto's Sidekick said:
"Significantly viewed" has a complex definition. Essentially it means that the station is watched by more than 3% of households in a community and gets more than a 25% share. ("More than" = more than one standard error in the survey used. "Household" = household that gets its TV OTA; doesn't include cable or DBS subscribers.

If this is an addition to any "regular" OTA stations in ones DMA, then my DMA is out of luck, as hardly anything can be recieved OTA in the southern part of my DMA.

This list is clearly garbage and I doubt that it will be used for much.

This new SHEVRA law is beginning to pi$$ me off. It was supposed to help out the small people by brining in digital, more stations. It was supposed to put DBS providers on equal footing with cable operators. I don't see how this has been accomplished.

I suggest that all those affected contact their congressman.

Casey

And our DMA (Vermont) is the most pathetic of them all. I just got a reply from Bill Salley, gm of Fox44 in Burlington:

"Walt,
Sorry for not responding sooner.
We have submitted an application for an ACT 250 permit. If the application sails through without any opposition then the group of local broadcasters could begin construction as early as this summer. the timetable would then be to be broadcasting in HD by the fall of 2006."

So that means no digital from any of the 4 Burlington nets until Late '06, which is still the current FCC deadline. CBS up there is actually doing HD BUT only passing it on to Adelphia cable subs. I can't believe there isn't a law against that !

WaltinVt

I don't understand how are lawmakers can do this to us.If you want to buy a product or service and you can't buy it local then you should be able to purchase it somewhere else if its available.We probable won't get any FOXHD here in SW Missouri till 1/31/06 at the stroke of midnight.Maybe not then if Nextar can find another loophole in the law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)