Fed up with D* and 6.3a crap!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
oldguy1; . . .Why don't I switch? Now it would cost me a termination fee if I did so plus up front fees for equipment and install if I went to E*. . . . . . . I would venture to say the numbers of D* users that have computers also is very small. . . . . . Nobody is twisting their arm to make them do it.[/QUOTE said:
You and Vurbano should get married.

If you're as unhappy as you claim to be, the $$ spent on termination fees and up front costs to go to E* would seem to be small for happiness and peace of mind.

As to the number of D* subscribers who also own/have access to computers, I would suspect that number is much, much larger than you believe it to be.

Just expressing my opinion, glad you're willing to give me that option!

It's a good thing that this is just TV because there is nothing else in our lives where we would but up with buying something that didn't work right the minute we bought it. Can you imagine buying a car and them telling you the FM part of the radio didn't work but would in 12 months? How about buying that brand new refridgerator and being told that the ice maker wouldn't work for 12 months? None of you guys would EVER put up with XM radio or Sirius if some of the channels didn't work and it costs a HECK of a lot less than DirecTV, yet you are apologists for D*!!! OH!! The OTA function will work later...OH!!! There will be more HD NEXT year....OH!!! More of us will get LiL at SOME point.... and on and on and on and on.... When do you apologists quit making excuses for a poorly executed company, poor software, poor CSRs....

It's a good thing that this is just TV because there is nothing else in our lives where we would but up with buying something that didn't work right the minute we bought it. Can you imagine buying a car and them telling you the FM part of the radio didn't work but would in 12 months? How about buying that brand new refridgerator and being told that the ice maker wouldn't work for 12 months? None of you guys would EVER put up with XM radio or Sirius if some of the channels didn't work and it costs a HECK of a lot less than DirecTV, yet you are apologists for D*!!! OH!! The OTA function will work later...OH!!! There will be more HD NEXT year....OH!!! More of us will get LiL at SOME point.... and on and on and on and on.... When do you apologists quit making excuses for a poorly executed company, poor software, poor CSRs....

And your point is...??? Umm dude, why don't you just go away? Everyone buys stuff everyday (in the technology world) that doesn't work as smoothly as we like. This is cutting edge new technology and one must accept that there will be bugs and usually they will get worked out. The D* plan has been clear from the start and sometime in 2007 all will come to fruition. Anyone that doesn't see that now is not paying attention. Enjoy whichever company you go with. I am enjoying D* and I believe that I will really be enjoying more within the next year. The question is, why would anyone that has complained about so many things for so long still be a sub???

No, this isn't cutting edge. I've been with D* since 1994, and there plan has NEVER been clear. They are wandering in the dark and now, again, we don't know what is going to happen because of Liberty. They could decide to go in another direction, not likely, but it could happen. Nothing in these boxes is stuff that hasn't been in the computer world for a while now. There is no excuse for what is happening. How many of you bitch at Microsoft when XP is buggy, or Internet Explorer has another security problem?

I've been hearing "one more year" for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time now. HECK!!! I can't even get them to fix it where I can get my own RSN!!!!! Five miles away my friend is enjoying two channels that I can't get, all because he's in a different zip code but we live in the same city. D* says I'm supposed to be getting it. What do they want to do? Send out a tech!!! It MUST be my receivers!!! Heaven forbid that they have got their software screwed up. I listen to the XM channels on my HR10-250 a lot. Now it's almost impossible because of the dropouts.

FlyingJ I guess you never complain about anything you buy?

No, this isn't cutting edge. I've been with D* since 1994, and there plan has NEVER been clear. They are wandering in the dark and now, again, we don't know what is going to happen because of Liberty. They could decide to go in another direction, not likely, but it could happen. Nothing in these boxes is stuff that hasn't been in the computer world for a while now. There is no excuse for what is happening. How many of you bitch at Microsoft when XP is buggy, or Internet Explorer has another security problem?

I've been hearing "one more year" for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time now. HECK!!! I can't even get them to fix it where I can get my own RSN!!!!! Five miles away my friend is enjoying two channels that I can't get, all because he's in a different zip code but we live in the same city. D* says I'm supposed to be getting it. What do they want to do? Send out a tech!!! It MUST be my receivers!!! Heaven forbid that they have got their software screwed up. I listen to the XM channels on my HR10-250 a lot. Now it's almost impossible because of the dropouts.

FlyingJ I guess you never complain about anything you buy?

I must have missed the part of your post in which you answered FlyingJ's question about why you didn't switch to another provider if you're soooooooo unhappy!

You, vurbano, oldguy1, guffy1, etc., etc. ALL should switch if you're as unhappy as you claim to be.

If you don't, it just means (to me at least) that you keep D* because you enjoy bitchin' so much!

Last edited:
Well, I didn't know that the internet allowed mind reading now, I guess I'll have to try harder.

He asked me why I just didn't go away. I took that to mean why didn't I just quit posting.

But since you ask, I'll answer. I don't switch because first, cable sucks here, not the picture but the service and cost. Dish is the same, but just service. Their customer techs here just seem to be picked up off of the street. Lastly, I've still got some contract time. I don't like losing money. It's up right before football season next year. At that time I'll make a decision.

I wonder if you get a burnt steak you just eat it? Do you ever tell the manager if you get a bad meal? If you get another bad meal and bad service do you keep going to the same restaurant? Or is that just "bitchin'"?

Well, I didn't know that the internet allowed mind reading now, I guess I'll have to try harder.

He asked me why I just didn't go away. I took that to mean why didn't I just quit posting.

But since you ask, I'll answer. I don't switch because first, cable sucks here, not the picture but the service and cost. Dish is the same, but just service. Their customer techs here just seem to be picked up off of the street. Lastly, I've still got some contract time. I don't like losing money. It's up right before football season next year. At that time I'll make a decision.

I wonder if you get a burnt steak you just eat it? Do you ever tell the manager if you get a bad meal? If you get another bad meal and bad service do you keep going to the same restaurant? Or is that just "bitchin'"?

I'll try my best to offer my thoughts point-by-point:

1. My interpretation of FlyingJ's comment about "just going" was that it was a suggestion that you switch providers, not quit posting here altogether. If I'm wrong on that, I'm sure FlyingJ will correct me. If that turns out to not have been the case, I apologize to you. I never meant to suggest that you (or anyone) shouldn't post. That's the great thing about these types of sites devoted to DBS discussions.

2. I don't know where you live in Florida so I can't offer an opinion on the quality of your local CC's service.

3. If you can get a good signal from D*, you should be able to get a good signal from E*. If you don't like E*'s installers hire your own professional installer or do it yourself, it's not that difficult, and that way you'd know who to blame if it wasn't done right.

4. D* will pro-rate your costs for cancelling your service on a month-by-month basis. It's not that expensive to cancel if you're really unhappy. They've even chosen to waive the cancellation fees if you return leased equipment. It seems (to me, at least) to be a relatively small price to pay if you're really that unhappy with D*.

5. If I went into a restaurant and got a burned steak, yes I'd complain. However, if the manager of the restaurant told me that technology extant in his kitchen would only permit him to turn out burned steaks for the time being, but that he was aware that it was a problem and was making his best efforts to correct the problem and I knew that the other 2 restaurants in town (E* and your local CC) were not even that good (by your own admission) I guess I'd either keep eating there or fix my own steaks at home (DVD, Blue Ray HD DVD, local OTA antenna, etc, etc).

Is D* perfect? No, not by a long shot. But apparently neither is your local CC or E*, and guess what, a lot of things in life aren't perfect either and we learn to tolerate them until improvements are made.

Last edited:
hr20

Im On The List To Get The Upgrade To The Hr20 From The Hr10-250. Hope It Really Is!!

Is D* perfect? No, not by a long shot. But apparently neither is your local CC or E*, and guess what, a lot of things in life aren't perfect either and we learn to tolerate them until improvements are made.

TDS4182, how long do we wait? How long do you keep going back to that restaurant when they keep telling you the new stoves are coming soon?

I'm going to give them till mid 2007, right before football season starts. If they don't have their act together by then I'm done.

Vubano. . .WHY ? because of the fortune in servers and modified equipment I have. I am giving them the year 2007 to improve PQ.

Any exactly who was it from D* ( Ol' Rupert himself, perhaps) who came to your house, held a gun to your head, and made you buy all those servers and modified equipment?

For Gosh sake, it you're as unhappy with D* as you seem, sell what you can, take a loss if you have to, and become E*'s or some local cable company's problem/chief critic.

My prediction is that even if D* has perfect PQ by the end of 2007, with full bit rates, etc, etc you and several others will still be bitching.

Some things never change!
I will do as I please as should everyone. Kindly please stop telling people what to do. Its getting old and no one wants to hear it.

Just to clarify, I did mean tl leave D*, not the boards. I wouldn't tell anyone to do that, errr, well, maybe except Vurbano. Just kidding, I do sometimes enjoy Vurbano's technical explanations and obvious knowledge, just can't stand the constant bitching about D* when there is a choice out there. Scotsmanron, you have in fact been coming to the same restaurant over and over again and receiving what you would call your burnt steak, you have been doing this with D*. You are giving them another time frame and eating the steak until then. Once again, there is another choice out there that you also don't seem to fond of. I accept what I have for now, the positives outweigh the negatives FOR ME. Sometimes I look up and say yikes, that looks awful, but I do not constantly call the service a shipwreck. I do in fact see a clear plan ahead and in my opinion anyone that thinks that E* will serve them better in late 2007 or now for that matter should take the jump. I am certain that whatever one could get out of E* for a new sign up would make up for any fees from D*. Oh and Vurbano, your right, no one should tell you what to do, but you should do it anyway.

I will do as I please as should everyone. Kindly please stop telling people what to do. Its getting old and no one wants to hear it.

By all means, do as you please. Just don't keep beating the rest of us over the head about how unhappy you are with service that YOU CHOSE to subscribe to!

TDS4182, how long do we wait? How long do you keep going back to that restaurant when they keep telling you the new stoves are coming soon?

I'm going to give them till mid 2007, right before football season starts. If they don't have their act together by then I'm done.

In response to your question about "how long do we wait"? That's a question that each person has to answer for him/her self. I'm basically pretty satisfied with D*'s service, my pq is good on both SD and HD and I've got more channels than I have the time, or inclination, to watch.

That's my opinion. Others are certainly entitled to theirs, and I respect that!

less unhappy now

Well, after unloading on D* about how unhappy I was with them messing up my 2 hr10-250's with the 6.3a software, they placated me by offering me a free upgrade to the hr20 (no upfront fees), just a 3 month extension of my remaining commitment.

Granted, the hr20 has its problems, but at least they are working on them.

And I just saw that the 6.3b software has started downloading to the hr10-250's.

Hmm, if I hadn't whined, I may not have received anything. Gosh.

My 6 year old whines until I give him what he wants too. As I stated at the begining of the thread, if the object is to whine till they give you something else, than you are the master. Enjoy it for a couple of weeks and then maybe you can think of something else to cry about so you can get another freebie and feel good about yourself again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts